General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Jan-17 19:03:50
Print Post

Will FTTC test socket change download speed

[link to this post]

my FTTC 40/10, which I have had since 2013, has over the last 6 mths gone down from 40M to 18M. If I was to connect my router into the test socket and my internal wiring was at fault, would you expect to see an instant change, or would it take xxx days or weeks before the service changed to a better higher speed.

I only ask as I did check this and no change to the 18M took place. Just want other's experience in what actually happens. Is it that no change happens as it always takes xxx days to change or you need the ISP to reset the line.

I am no wiser if this is my fault or a line fault.

IanD
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(regular) Mon 23-Jan-17 19:19:21
Print Post

Re: Will FTTC test socket change download speed

[re: iand] [link to this post]

If you plug into the test socket and post line stats, that'll be good.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-17 19:28:53
Print Post

it the sync rate changes the SNR level will also likely change too this will be instant, following obtaining sync with the dslam
40/18? plusnot the isp? they may have changed it from the 18mbps upstream to the 10mbps in line with the 40/10 Openreach product as they were selling the 80/20 Openreach product as a capped to 40/20 they no longer sell this

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 23-Jan-17 19:31:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-17 20:32:30
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
40/18? plusnot the isp?

The OP never said they had 40/18.

They said their connection has dropped from 40Mbps to 18Mbps, so they have lost 22Mbps on their connection.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 24-Jan-17 00:02:55
Print Post

It depends why it has dropped.

If what caused the drop has also resulted in banding being applied at 18,000kbps then there will be no speed difference in the test socket but the noise margin may be higher.

If it is a wiring problem of some sort on your premises then the test socket will either give you a higher speed, or not - see the previous paragraph.

The only way we can give any better response is with full stats taken in the test socket and with your normal setup, taken as closely together as possible. Not to the fewest possible number of seconds, but preferably within a few minutes. Then we can try to analyse the differences.

Have you at any stage during this decline done anything about it in an attempt to regain speed? Also was it one or two big drops, or a fairly steady decline?

Importantly, are you giving us connection speeds in your post, or speed test results?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to