General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User satattak
(regular) Sun 29-Jan-17 16:30:12
Print Post

Second Line for Load Balancing

[link to this post]

Hi I want to load balance across 2 FTTC lines I have the draytek vigor 2060 which will allow me to connect the 1st vdsl line directly and the second wan port via the providers broadband router. The vigor will then allow balancing across the vdsl and wan port.

I will need a second line installing for the second vdsl connection (Ive had two phone lines in the past)

Question is if I had two phone lines in the past is that two separate copper to the cabinet? or to they share the one copper to make two lines?

Will I get 2 x 70 meg into the router 70meg being my download that I can get on average

If the cabinet fails I lose my internet but if there is a problem at the exchange with one of my providers I presumably will be ok if I use two different LLU providers?

Has anyone else adopted this approach ?

Thanks in advance
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Jan-17 19:47:23
Print Post

Re: Second Line for Load Balancing

[re: satattak] [link to this post]

That will be two separate lines back to the exchange, two line rental charges etc.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jan-17 20:14:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Cheaper line rental charge £10 a month with no contract.

http://freeola.com/line-rental/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Jan-17 22:51:06
Print Post

Load balancing for performance or redundancy reasons?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User satattak
(regular) Mon 30-Jan-17 12:46:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Load balancing for performance or redundancy reasons?

Performance mostly
Standard User satattak
(regular) Mon 30-Jan-17 12:46:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
That will be two separate lines back to the exchange, two line rental charges etc.

Ok thank you
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Jan-17 14:34:03
Print Post

Okay so VDSL2 from one firm that uses BT Wholesale, and then whichever LLU provider or seller has their own network.

Remember load balancing just means each download can max out each line, rather than making a single file/download faster.

For redundancy best to do one VDSL2 and one ADSL2+, thus even if cabinet gets destroyed by car accident your ADSL2+ carries on working, but you can also do with this a 4G dongle and some load balances will take multiple connection options

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 30-Jan-17 14:49:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Remember load balancing just means each download can max out each line, rather than making a single file/download faster.
You can use a download manager to download over the 2 connections to make a single file/download faster.
Standard User satattak
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-17 20:33:22
Print Post

Ok you guys have now got me rethinking.

Can I ask then ....

De it really matter what I do at my end if the same is not done inward bound for example if I prioritise certain traffic (x box) will my router give it a priority going out but not coming in?

I think also I'll just manual load balance by routing upstairs traffic down one line and downstairs traffic down the other and then set policies to fail over

Thanks again for your replies. Is there a better way to get the max benefit of a couple of lines so that game traffic and iplayer traffic do not affect each other?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-17 20:46:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by satattak:
Ok you guys have now got me rethinking.

Can I ask then ....

De it really matter what I do at my end if the same is not done inward bound for example if I prioritise certain traffic (x box) will my router give it a priority going out but not coming in?
Yes it does. Prioritizing outgoing traffic will affect incoming traffic due to the syn-ack handshake
I think also I'll just manual load balance by routing upstairs traffic down one line and downstairs traffic down the other and then set policies to fail over
that's an easy way but not as good as proper per-packet load balancing
Thanks again for your replies. Is there a better way to get the max benefit of a couple of lines so that game traffic and iplayer traffic do not affect each other?
You could use QOS to achieve this, or FQ-codel
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to