General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gerarda
(regular) Mon 30-Jan-17 17:57:21
Print Post

Distribution point question

[link to this post]

All this month I have been trying to help a neighbour who was missed out of a cabinet migration last October and so has no usable broadband while all the neighbours are getting superfast speeds.

Eventually I got this from Openreach:

"01449 xxxxx/ IP14 xxx for the property in question is fed off DP 2245 which was not part of the cure project to be moved therefore FTTC was never due to be arranged for this property under the Cure project.

(house name) IP14 xxx has a different DP numbered 1347 located pretty much on its doorstep. This DP was part of the Cure project to be moved."

DP2245 is 7.1Km away, and DP1347 is in front of my neighbours house.

Before I get too sarcastic with my response can someone tell me if it is possible to have a distribution point 7.1Km from a property?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 30-Jan-17 18:36:20
Print Post

Re: Distribution point question

[re: gerarda] [link to this post]

It could be a database error, or is it possible it was a Show House on a new estate at some stage? That can cause this.

What do you mean by "missed out on a cabinet migration"? Were the lines previously fed directly from the exchange?

We could look a little deeper if you give the full postcode. With that we can compare all the properties on that postcode.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User gerarda
(regular) Mon 30-Jan-17 18:57:47
Print Post

Re: Distribution point question

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It could be a database error, or is it possible it was a Show House on a new estate at some stage? That can cause this.

What do you mean by "missed out on a cabinet migration"? Were the lines previously fed directly from the exchange?

We could look a little deeper if you give the full postcode. With that we can compare all the properties on that postcode.

It is a database error - whoever wrote the Openreach reply had two choices

1. The line comes from a cabinet 2.5Km away. It is then routed 4.6Km in the wrong direction to a DP 7.1 Km away, before then having presumably a single cable 7.1KM long taking it to the house
or

2. The line is actually fed from the DP 0.0Km from the property and there is a mistake in the records.

I was enquiring as to whether a 7.1Km run from a DP was at all feasible. If it is then the choice to go for option 1 was merely from someone not engaging their brain, if it not then the choice was ridiculous.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to