General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Feb-17 20:32:19
Print Post

Advice Please on Flagged old BT account.

[link to this post]

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to what's happened or is happening to my old BT account. Basically I have some Equifax Products to keep an eye on my Credit File activity etc and today I've received under "New Credit Agrrement Summary":-
New Information BT CSS CUSTOMERS (I) Communications Supplier
Followed by my partially shown previous account number from when I used to have an account with them some years ago.

Since being with BT my Phone and Broadband has been with IDnet and is currently with PlusNet.
I have spoken to BT who confirm the account is closed and I've yet been able to contact Equifax.
Just curious If any of the guys on here could shed any light on what might be happening?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Feb-17 21:46:14
Print Post

Re: Advice Please on Flagged old BT account.

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

Perhaps credit checking agency has hoovered up some more data about you and this is showing that they have it

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Feb-17 22:48:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Possibly Andrew, but it's odd Equifax show it's a new agreement with BT and indicate my old BT account number too. It's got to be over 4 years ago that I had an active account with BT.

I suppose it could be a glitch with either system, although one of the reasons I posted here is there are many knowledgeable people who may know if BT's sysems have gone into spin rinse recently. I've not noticed anything in the news mind you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Feb-17 07:39:16
Print Post

Have you spoken the Equifax about this entry?

As they will be able to confirm when & where it has come form.

Just wonder given that Plusnet = BT if if it is somehow related and you have just kept the same acc number.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User UNUSEDPASSWORD
(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-17 08:21:34
Print Post

Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday. Googled BSS etc and noticed your post on here,hence my first entry on this forum. I've been with EE, Plusnet and just recently Sky since I was with BT.
Good luck getting an answer from Equifax, really struggled to get any information from them about another query a couple of years ago.
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Feb-17 11:08:54
Print Post

[re: UNUSEDPASSWORD] [link to this post]

I've just called Equifax and according to the person I spoke to it appears that recently BT have changed their Name that is shown on these sorts of queries, from:-

BT CONSUMER,
to
BT CSS CUSTOMERS (I)

The Equifax agent also reiterated something I had read on their website and I guess it goes for all the Credit Agencies, that your data which can include closed accounts (as per my BT account) stays on file for so many years (sorry can't remember exactly how many at present). So if a company that you have a closed account with changes their official billing/trading/reference name etc during that data retention period, then the update reflects accordingly on your credit file. It would be better in my opinion if Equifax didn't group things like this under one main description that covers other scenarios too. The Title for this alert was under the "New Credit Agreement Summary" heading which was confusing when connecting it to a closed account.

Thanks for all the feedback guys smile

Edited by Vorlon (Sat 11-Feb-17 11:11:19)

Print Thread

Jump to