General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User derekdel
(member) Thu 16-Feb-17 18:35:50
Print Post

How hard can it be?

[link to this post]

Help!

I signed up a cheap deal on the TalkTalk platform.
This was for a family member.
The go live date was the 14th Feb and according to TalkTalk everything was finalised and their website shows everything is activated.

I then get a phonecall this afternoon stating from the family member the internet isn't working. So i go around to check the router is plugged in correctly, it is. Still no internet, the broadband light is on! This is the router supplied by TalkTalk.

After a long laborious conversation over 40 minutes to one of TalkTalks CS they turn around and say they can't find the IP address..... never heard that one before!

They will contact me again within 48 hours...what?

Now here is the kicker!
The current/ losing internet provider has no record of any migration or change of service!

Surely this can't be normal...... or is that normal for TT to NOT inform the losing provider?

I have reinstalled the original router and internet services has been restored and is providing me with the original ISP IP address.

What a complete mess..

Right now I am getting billed by the old provider and the new provider for a service.

How do I stop the service from actually moving to TalkTalk now as they have utterly balled this one up?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Feb-17 19:16:19
Print Post

Re: How hard can it be?

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

Sounds like the line is in middle of the move, or something has messed up with the wiring as part of the move.

Migrations should mean old provider gets told via the wholesalers and a letter sent out. There is a path where by a full LLU provider can skip this and slam the line across, but if you ordered then its not a slam, but just not best practice as per Ofcom code.

Another option is that the move has not happened, and the phone side of things are simply broken.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User derekdel
(member) Fri 17-Feb-17 09:36:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew, I think your are correct as there has been a massive mix up.

I have asked the previous suppliers to stop, if possible, the migration! I can only hope. I highly doubt that now. I would have left the service with that provider but unfortunately it wasn't my call.

I have been in 'chat' with TalkTalk since yesterday afternoon via twitter. I actually dont think they have the slightest clue what they are doing! That is not a detrimental comment directed at them personally i think they are going on information [or lack of] provided.

They are adamant the line is working properly

''Your broaband is showing that it's connected at 14332 kb/s with TalkTalk.''

I think they are seeing the login detail [somehow] of the previous supplier as the older router/login has a working connection.

I am waiting on the previous supplier getting back to me this morning.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Feb-17 10:20:31
Print Post

Just check who the ISP is over here:
https://www.whoismyisp.org/
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Feb-17 10:32:40
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Wondering who the previous ISP was, it is possible they used the TalkTalk wholesale service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User derekdel
(member) Fri 17-Feb-17 14:05:00
Print Post

I'm not going to mention the previous ISP on here as its not their fault.
Yes they used the TT network to deliver broadband that's why their service was still active.

After hours on chat to TTB i eventually received the login/password for the broadband so i could configure it myself as they sent their router out incorrectly configured. Obviously without these details I couldn't authenticate the service or move forward.

They [TTB] or openreach hadn't contacted the previous supplier regarding the migration. A simple mistake compounded by a equally simple breakdown in communication thankfully now resolved.

Blood from a stone.....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Feb-17 14:14:38
Print Post

In this case I can envisage the normal notification of old provider via wholesale and Openreach failing, as TTB may have just dealt with it as an inservice migration avoiding Openreach

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Feb-17 14:27:15
Print Post

Is the Ofcom migration process specifically for BT Openreach or should it also be TT wholesale as well?

Edited by ian72 (Fri 17-Feb-17 14:27:34)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Feb-17 14:54:13
Print Post

After hours on chat to TTB i eventually received the login/password for the broadband so i could configure it myself as they sent their router out incorrectly configured. Obviously without these details I couldn't authenticate the service or move forward.

Generally speaking TT should authenticate with any credentials. My suspicion is that as you came from a TT reseller, some things may have migrated which are slightly odd.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 17-Feb-17 14:54:42)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Feb-17 16:09:00
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Should apply too, i.e. GPL

Print Thread

Jump to