General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User partial
(experienced) Tue 07-Mar-17 21:39:32
Print Post

City Fibre Streetworks.

[link to this post]

City Fibre streetworks in Edinburgh putting staff and motorists at risk.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edi...

Comes a few months after City Fibre worker filmed spitting at public.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/road...

Shocking.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Mar-17 07:16:23
Print Post

Re: City Fibre Streetworks.

[re: partial] [link to this post]

That is awful, I wonder if they are contractors ?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Mar-17 09:25:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Article says they were

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Mar-17 10:18:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm afraid it all just seems to play to my pet theory on such things.

Companies are happy as long as they 'tick boxes' and it's not 'their' fault.

I'm sure the fibre company never instructed anyone to cut corners to get the job done, I daresay they have stats that prove their flawless records on safety. I daresay the contractors company didn't tell them to cut corners either, well not directly, but by dangling a fiscal carrot (possibly paid by the meter they pull in, or the number of jobs a day they complete) that company gets results in terms of productivity, and keeps it's contract, and nothing is said until something goes horribly wrong .........

Three faults I attended last week were directly attributable to poor contractor workmanship, though not as obvious a bad outcome as the pictured infraction, they still cost time, money and customer grief.

For example .... I attend an FTTC fault, the customer has never had service since the go live date ....... After a bit of fannying about I discover that the line, on record as going through PCP A and having allocated FTTC ties in there, is actually routed through PCP B which has no fibre twin ...... And yet someone had still stored a test on and connected through the DSLAM ties in A to dead pairs ......... They got paid for doing that .... On paper they looked great, a textbook job completed quickly and all the quality gates passed. Quality.

On another, same scenario, this time they've sent the FTTC sync down the E side back to the exchange rather than on the D side to the customer ....... Again no excuse, a nice easy cab to work in, easy to 'read' clearly marked up as per recorded routing.

I shan't go on .... it's soul destroying.

These are the actions of people whose only motivation is to make as much money as quick as possible (I hasten to add I checked, these weren't my companies staff, they were contractors) And in the end the only people who suffer (part from my hurt pride) are the punters.

These ethics cause people to cut corners, in the OP the outcome might have been MUCH worse.

[rant over]

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Mar-17 10:21:39
Print Post

Video here

https://vimeo.com/207155407

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Standard User partial
(experienced) Wed 08-Mar-17 21:14:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Subbies for KN subbies

http://www.kngroup.com/hsqe/#management

They've got the 'vision', they've got the 'values.'

They've got the sub contractors desperate to make a living whatever the cost to their families and those innocent motorists who end up killing them.

Edited by partial (Wed 08-Mar-17 21:30:27)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Mar-17 12:58:11
Print Post

They've got the 'vision', they've got the 'values.'

They've got the sub contractors desperate to make a living whatever the cost to their families and those innocent motorists who end up killing them.

You said it .........

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Mar-17 19:54:02
Print Post

Might not be the safest way to do works, but ive seen worse. Only this week there was a guy repainting the lines on a box junction outside our work. No traffic lights/cones or anything, just dodging the traffic when the lights changed

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 09-Mar-17 19:54:25)

Print Thread

Jump to