General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Marc_linux
(newbie) Thu 09-Mar-17 15:03:30
Print Post

help me understand please

[link to this post]

Hi.
I ditched Talktalk and am now left without phone or broadband at home.

looking for a new cheap ISP and I'm confused as to what ISPs mean when they say do i have a working phone line.. it *works* because (until last week) i could make calls and my modem/router connected to Talktalk.. but now i'm switched off, but one ISP told me i needed to pay 48 quid to have a line installed, i told them no, as they'd already took my money for the sign-up and this charge was not mentioned at all during sign up.

Do i need to pay a new line fee thing - i've seen some ISPs charging upto 60quid,
and i know the wires are all good as BT Openworkd came and checked it all out when i started with Talktalk about 2 years back.

Is my line working ? i pick up the phone and i just hear a quick beeping, like the old engaged signal. i don't know what to tell ISPs and i dont know what muy number would be as i have no ADSL or phone service .. please help me, i'm stuck a bit.
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Mar-17 15:26:36
Print Post

Re: help me understand please

[re: Marc_linux] [link to this post]

You are re-starting a ceased line so a connection fee applies. This is why you should NOT cancel a previous service but should use the migration process

A lot depends on what you said during the signup process, if you said you have a phone line that was inactive then they should have quoted for an activation rather than a migration.

You might keep the old number, but you'll probably end up with a new one, you need to tell providers you have an inactive phone line that needs switching back on

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Marc_linux
(newbie) Thu 09-Mar-17 15:32:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks MrSaffron .. I didn't know any of that, i did try migration but the new ISP said Talktalk blocked the line (i told talktalk i was leaving)

i'm not botherd about phone numbers or anything, in fact if it wasn't so expensive i'd go get a 3g router thing.

Looks like i'm going to be shafted for 50 odd quid then, due to my own lack of knowledge frown

At least i know what to tell them if they ask about my line, as it is.
Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pistolpete1980
(newbie) Thu 09-Mar-17 15:36:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

All depends on what the state of the line was classified as on the Openreach (OR) checker. If it was a in the database as a stopped line, then it was possible that the line could be re-activated and the ISP should have submitted a Start of Stopped order type, therefore no engineer fee should apply. If it wasn't showing on the checker (sometime Openreach could remove/ reserve some other section of the line) or OR deemed it wasn't decent quality so removed it from the database, then the ISP would have no choice but the send an engineer. Annoyingly, this visit could be removed later on in the ordering process if OR decide they can remotely activate it.

Beyond all this the ISP could have not matched the address to OR and therefore no lines could be detected and hence engineer visit required.

Unfortunately there are too many potential reasons
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Mar-17 15:38:22
Print Post

Most providers will do an install for free on new lines or discounted.

What ISP are you looking at?

TalkTalk:
£20 per month for standard broadband - no new line install fee (on standard broadband)
£27 for fibre

BT
£24.49 for standard broadband
£29.49 for fibre
Install fee on new lines varies, but if you call often times they do it for free if you insist.

Sky
Can get standard broadband for real cheap - around £5 a month now via this special link:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadb...

Install fee is around £20 for new lines.
Standard User Marc_linux
(newbie) Thu 09-Mar-17 15:46:55
Print Post

[re: pistolpete1980] [link to this post]

ahh okay, Talktalk switched the line back on for a few more weeks after i paid them another lump of money, so it went off again when the contract ran out so not sure what state it is in.
Standard User Marc_linux
(newbie) Thu 09-Mar-17 16:05:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

i just left Talktalk .. LOL
Sky looked okay, as did Origin broadband, but Origin's customer support sucks.
I guess i would pay 20 for a new line, but 50 or 60 is a bit too much.

I will have a look at that link though ukhardy07 ..
as long as they dont try to sell me any TV stuff, i dont do telly.

Thanks chaps, i thought this was a good idea, asking on here smile
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Mar-17 17:24:32
Print Post

Plusnet charged me for reactivating my line when I got back on the BT network, my line was inactive for 2 years, it cost me about £50.

But this ai BTOR charge, not an ISP charge, always best to migrate if you can,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User freeola
(member) Thu 09-Mar-17 18:25:02
Print Post

We have 3 different charges for setting up a line (as that is what we're charged by BTO). One is for a simple line transfer or reactivation of a line already on the BT network, another for installing a completely new line and one for converting a line from MPF to WLR3 (this charge is the same for an active or stopped MPF line). So in your case we would charge you a reactivation of a stopped MPF line.

Freeola
http://freeola.com - Broadband, Hosting & Instant Sites - Support
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Mar-17 16:57:16
Print Post

Any reason you left talktalk, generally speaking the service is as good as any other, unless you have some kind of line fault.

CS is poor.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to