General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Mar-17 09:35:26
Print Post

Openreach Recruitment/Apprenticeships Part 6

[link to this post]

On the day when Openreach gets to stand on its feet time to close the part 5 of the Openreach employment/recruitment thread

For those with no idea it was the thread at
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/f/4532025-o...

We close long threads as they become cumbersome to read.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hendaz1984
(learned) Fri 10-Mar-17 09:39:37
Print Post

Re: Openreach Recruitment/Apprenticeships Part 6

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nice one!
Standard User Swanseajack91
(member) Fri 10-Mar-17 09:42:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks we seem to have taken over this part of the forums slightly! it has been a great help to many of us.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Mar-17 10:33:30
Print Post

[re: Swanseajack91] [link to this post]

However, this one is titled Part 6. All the opening post does is explain why it has been created smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65702/13958Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User MrFester
(newbie) Fri 10-Mar-17 13:37:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Anyone know anything about the training centre in Bolton?
Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Fri 10-Mar-17 15:09:19
Print Post

[re: MrFester] [link to this post]

Spoke to a mate of mine who works for open reach, and he said Yarnfield is nice, but Bolton not so much. No bar or gym there apparently.
(member) Fri 10-Mar-17 15:38:54
Print Post

[re: Johnsmic] [link to this post]

Anyone know what Southampton is like? Looks like a training building with no accommodation wonder if ill be staying onsite or at a hotel down the road.
Yarnfield looks alright if you have a spare 10 minutes you can do a 360 tour on Google. I think its been recently refurbished.
Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Fri 10-Mar-17 16:03:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Swanseajack91:
Anyone know what Southampton is like? Looks like a training building with no accommodation wonder if ill be staying onsite or at a hotel down the road.
Yarnfield looks alright if you have a spare 10 minutes you can do a 360 tour on Google. I think its been recently refurbished.

What's your start date mate?
(member) Fri 10-Mar-17 16:31:36
Print Post

[re: Kirky89] [link to this post]

24th April you?
Standard User MrFester
(newbie) Fri 10-Mar-17 16:32:59
Print Post

Great, hope there is an off license down the road I can jog to then so I dont feel left out at not going to yarnfield.
Been on openreach and BT sites and cant find any mention of where the Bolton centre is, did your mate say where it was?
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 10-Mar-17 17:09:29
Print Post

Good luck to everyone!!guess what???I'm still waiting up in Northumberland.another week end with no news
Standard User abmis2006
(learned) Fri 10-Mar-17 17:33:08
Print Post

[re: Hoss28] [link to this post]

Don't worry mate. You're not alone smile

Easier to say but don't try think about it too much and it'll crop up when you least expect it.
Standard User gouledw
(learned) Fri 10-Mar-17 17:47:05
Print Post

Yarnfield is a hell hole to be stuck in for 5 weeks of your life. The last time I went to Southampton the training centre is at Nursling and I stayed in the Hilton but there were only 20 of us.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 10-Mar-17 17:47:21
Print Post

[re: abmis2006] [link to this post]

Bet there's still loads not heard that aren't on here! Fingers crossed for us next week 😊
Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Fri 10-Mar-17 18:28:24
Print Post

24th April you?

15th May I'm only guessing Southampton for me as it's about a hour and a bit drive from where I am
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Fri 10-Mar-17 18:34:38
Print Post

I'm the 24th April but training at Livingstone. Anyone know what its like and or where you stay?
(member) Fri 10-Mar-17 19:38:41
Print Post

Ash right! I'm fairly far from Southampton so not sure why I am going there lol I wouldn't say no too a stay at the Hilton lol
(member) Fri 10-Mar-17 19:40:41
Print Post

[re: Dixi2u] [link to this post]

Must be because your in Scotland? I thought everyone did the induction week at yarn field! Be nice to meet a few people from here after the 5 month journey we have been though haha
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Fri 10-Mar-17 19:57:53
Print Post

First week at Yarnfield then rest at Livingstone. Will be great to finally meet people from here in person. Has been a bit of an epic journey.
(member) Fri 10-Mar-17 20:14:13
Print Post

Should be there with me then if your starting 24th ! A few pints will be in order then.
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Fri 10-Mar-17 20:16:39
Print Post

Openreach have revamped the recruitment process

http://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/careersatbt/openre...
Standard User BothLegsDis
(regular) Fri 10-Mar-17 21:02:14
Print Post

[re: Dslammer] [link to this post]

Don't forget your selfie stick for your first pole climb, that will be your new facebook profile pic ��
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Mar-17 21:08:06
Print Post

[re: BothLegsDis] [link to this post]

First and possibly last?

If lucky, sacked. If not lucky ....

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65702/13958Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(regular) Fri 10-Mar-17 21:14:48
Print Post

Why?
Standard User MC31
(regular) Fri 10-Mar-17 22:05:12
Print Post

Yep years ago when i did a o/h course we were told we could take a cam to the top of a 20M + pole and take pics .This was back in the days when we did free climbing.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
(regular) Fri 10-Mar-17 22:20:24
Print Post

[re: MC31] [link to this post]

I've been up thousands of poles and taken the odd pic. The only reason I never took a selfie stick up is because the hadn't been invented! Either had smart phones
Standard User Firsttwodie
(member) Sat 11-Mar-17 07:17:37
Print Post

The new careers page has also dropped the pay and suggests that it's 2 weeks at Yarnfield instead of the 1 I've been told!
(member) Sat 11-Mar-17 08:37:23
Print Post

[re: Firsttwodie] [link to this post]

Yep, looks like they are advertising for new positions as well
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Sat 11-Mar-17 23:17:35
Print Post

bet theyve had a few people knock them back on the new job terms
(member) Sun 12-Mar-17 09:08:37
Print Post

[re: mckeo5514] [link to this post]

Yeah i bet a few people turned it down. Was quite a drop in pay..
Just noticed the qauilificafion is a BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professional I already have the level 3 of that when i did my apprenticeship so no idea what that means for me!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Mar-17 09:12:39
Print Post

It means you are going in too low in the pay scale, the previous scheme with the higher advertised pay is what you should be on. Trouble is you don't want to lose this one. I reckon Openreach will be getting Apprenticeship subsidies on the new one.

Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Sun 12-Mar-17 09:45:42
Print Post

same here im at level 7 already, i thought they were winding me up dropping the money to give me a lvl2 btec. Ive even had my work published by IEEE.

Edited by mckeo5514 (Sun 12-Mar-17 09:48:12)

(member) Sun 12-Mar-17 09:58:35
Print Post

Yeah having a degree and going in at entry level seems mad!
Shall have to wait and see it may change when the training team ring some of us..
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Mar-17 10:06:35
Print Post

The recruitment page I think someone linked to earlier has an overlay that lists graduate recruitment. Might be worth finding it, read, then ask about it. If you can't find it give me a shout and I'll see if I can find the link that gave it me. If you do find it, repost the link for others.

Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Sun 12-Mar-17 10:11:44
Print Post

Graduate recruitment wont touch me because even though i have a beng and mphil degrees in telecoms i dont have a single ucas point
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Mar-17 10:44:06
Print Post

Sounds like it is "about to graduate" recruitment then. (Which is of course the usual meaning of Graduate Recruitment).

You should be looking higher still. IIRC there were recruitment levels above it on the overlay I referred to.

(member) Sun 12-Mar-17 10:52:59
Print Post

http://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/careersatbt/openre...
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Sun 12-Mar-17 11:04:02
Print Post

I imagine that there is a lot people have older qualifications and experience but having to start at the bottom again. Not totally fair but should eventually allow you to advance quicker i would think.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Mar-17 11:39:22
Print Post

That's the one. I must have been thinking of the "Accelerated Leadership Programme". Which won't be pole-climbing. Almost certainly office-based.

"Circa £60,000 salary, dependant on experience, and in addition a monthly car allowance".

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Mar-17 11:50:48
Print Post

Openreach use 'stock photos' of someone up a pole, at a cab etc, etc, This was set up as previously the standard photo's used in FEN etc had to be paid for every time.

Word went out that we could volunteer if we wanted to, and never one to shirk a free sarnie and a day off the tools I put me name forward.....

There were maybe 8 or 10 engineers there and thousands of photo's taken, up poles (with the photographer in a hoist bucket), in a joint box, at a cab, faulting in a property (the local level 2's house) even doing E side jointing in the cable chamber below Maidenhead exchange. I was in possession of one of the original trial JDSU's and offered to get it in some pics, nope, Hawks and laptops was the order of the day. Shots of the guy at the top of the pole are still featured strongly in silhouette on company publications.

There were many photo's taken, and did they ever use any of this balding old coot ? Nope, not one, that's baldish that is.

Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Sun 12-Mar-17 15:36:58
Print Post

i also applied to that one too and got turned down. im gonna have to get promoted the hard way.
Standard User MC31
(regular) Sun 12-Mar-17 16:19:06
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

"There were many photo's taken, and did they ever use any of this balding old coot ? Nope, not one, that's baldish that is. "

But they used lots of a young good looking blonde girl ! I know her and she is nice but represents less then 1% of OR staff.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Sun 12-Mar-17 21:49:12
Print Post

Just visited Bolton. Very large telephone exchange so maybe training there.

Wetherspoons
Old Man & Sythe
Hogarts
Papa Johns Pizza take away

All OK pubs would assume all dead in week.

Was in Peterboro last year, which is where I found out about these jobs. The guys training were in the same hotel, which was next to the telephone exchange, where the training was held.

All there vans were in a neat row on the car park, they never moved all week. Peteboro town centre was ok but quiet.
Standard User jordanglb
(newbie) Sun 12-Mar-17 22:20:29
Print Post

Yeah, cheers for the Bolton update. Thats where ill be going. Spoke to an engineer who feels it may be an old bt fleet site in a place called breightmet. I live less than an hour away. Do you know if residential training is mandatory or can you travel home midweek.
(member) Sun 12-Mar-17 22:25:40
Print Post

Cheers for the info on Peterborough it's a great help to know any info as you can understand.
Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Mon 13-Mar-17 11:36:20
Print Post

Looks like they have started collecting my references, my current employer has dragged me into a meeting about it, and now I'm unemployed. Was trying to hold out on giving my
Notice as I only had to Give them a week. Gonna be a long 6 weeks!
(member) Mon 13-Mar-17 12:02:15
Print Post

Gutted! at least they are asking means things are moving.. I told my employer as soon as I signed my contract! luckily they need me up until the Friday before I leave.
Try find some temp work for a few weeks that's what I was going to do if they didnt need me at my current job

Edited by Swanseajack91 (Mon 13-Mar-17 12:04:42)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Mar-17 12:19:07
Print Post

Presumably with a proper pay-off?

Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Mon 13-Mar-17 12:25:51
Print Post

It was a temp to perm job I took back in November once I'd had the confirmation I'd passed the assessment centre, was only supposed to bridge the gap to my start date with Open Reach. I'll just go back to an agency and ask for something very temporary. Posted it on here just as a heads up to any of the guys completing tasks, so if your employer doesn't already know you're leaving, they are checking references now!
Standard User MAT723
(learned) Mon 13-Mar-17 14:01:40
Print Post

[re: jordanglb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jordanglb:
Yeah, cheers for the Bolton update. Thats where ill be going. Spoke to an engineer who feels it may be an old bt fleet site in a place called breightmet. I live less than an hour away. Do you know if residential training is mandatory or can you travel home midweek.

Im interested in this answer as im scheduled there too and live 70 miles from there as do a lot of us from wrexham.
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Mon 13-Mar-17 14:57:35
Print Post

[re: MAT723] [link to this post]

Is there anybody on this posting that is currently doing the training and can answer if you stay away, even if home is down the road?
Standard User Burty27
(newbie) Mon 13-Mar-17 15:53:41
Print Post

Any of the guys starting 3rd April received any info yet? I.e what kit to take,where we staying and all that. Getting close now!!!
Standard User MAT723
(learned) Mon 13-Mar-17 17:13:53
Print Post

[re: Burty27] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Burty27:
Any of the guys starting 3rd April received any info yet? I.e what kit to take,where we staying and all that. Getting close now!!!

Only the line manager email, peter from recruitment said that we will hear the week b4 etc and train tickets to yarnfield will be issued.

Mat
(member) Mon 13-Mar-17 20:41:44
Print Post

From previous posts on here take smart casual for first day and extra suitcase as you get a lot of kit i.e. Uniform, safety kit, hard hat that you then have carry to the site where you pick up the van at the end of the week. You wear uniform on the course just evening wear for the bar/restaurant is required.
Standard User arronlowley
(member) Mon 13-Mar-17 20:47:45
Print Post

Since I have found this thread I would like to add something that disgruntled me when I was younger.

My auntie worked for open-reach and laid the fibre in the ground, I told her that getting an apprenticeship with bt would be something that would be of interest to me.

I applied and was declined on the simple fact i didn't have a C grade in English.

Now, the reason for me being upset was that after a few years of research with adsl and vdsl as a youngster (around 14 at the time of researching and still going) I had several engineers visit my home to fix things. Upon speaking to them, every single one of them i spoke to over the years all said, "you know a lot, a lot more than i do about my own job, you should apply..."

Now, please answer me this, if this is the case then how can bt refuse to even consider me even though i know more about some qualified engineers? personally I think it is discrimination to decline someone because of one single grade they didn't achieve.

grades mean nothing when you have the willpower to learn and educate yourself.

it still upsets me to this date, although im training to become a heating and ventilation engineer and do my welding.
(member) Mon 13-Mar-17 22:18:46
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

The problem is they have to set the bar somewhere unfortunately you didn't reach it even though you would have probably have made a great engineer and so would others who have missed out on qualifications.

There are quite a few out thre who can hardly construct a sentence in writing and most jobs are report writing nowadays and grade C in Maths, English and a Science are a usual minimum.

Apparently there were 32,000 applied for these jobs so they have the option to cherry pick as to what qualities and qualifications they would like in an applicant prior to interview, it may have been the same case when you applied. I'm glad you have found a job outside Openreach and I hope you are happier there than at OR as it's taken a lot of us over a year to get a start date and I wouldn't wish that experience on anybody especially those that were in between jobs.

Edited by Firsttwodie (Mon 13-Mar-17 22:25:41)

Standard User Bjt1992
(learned) Mon 13-Mar-17 22:26:08
Print Post

Hmmm seems a bit of a strange one to be honest. I take it you applied to be an apprentice rather than for the roles advertised for Field Engineers. I would assume they will be a lot more stringent on who gets into the apprenticeship scheme as back in 2009 having passed my L2 in electrical installation I found it nearly impossible to get in anywhere as an apprentice to go back and gain my L3. This however was at the time of the "recession" ....

I must admit having applied in January last year for the job I will start in July I did not achieve a Grade C in English. I do however have As in all Science exams, Electronics and maths and having done the L2 at college apparently now hold the "equivalent" in English so perhaps that's why.... I now however have a lot of life experience from a number of jobs with a lot of customer service based knowledge. Also being in a management position in my current job, no doubt this will be seen as advantageous I suppose. The advert was very clear that they were looking for people to engage with customers etc the technical side of the job is gained via an extensive training programme which may cancel any bearing of people saying I know this that and the other technically wise.

All I can put it down to is that there was no doubt a massive amount of applicants from people fresh out of school/college and they have narrowed it down by GCSE grades etc

This is however just my own views based on past experiences and I could be very wrong I suppose if they're specific in an advert about grades etc and if you do not meet them, it simplifies narrowing potentially 100s if not 1000s of applicants down to a more manageable level

Edited by Bjt1992 (Mon 13-Mar-17 22:30:21)

Standard User arronlowley
(member) Mon 13-Mar-17 22:31:43
Print Post

I just find it silly how you can have the knowledge already and be told by engineers themselves you easily have the qualities to be a good engineer but then get thrown a side, it's a strange world we live in. I'm not saying others shouldn't have the opportunity, we all deserve a chance in life.

To those who have recently got an apprenticeship, good luck smile.

Heating/pipe fitting was another choice of mine so it's not like I haven't been given the chance to do anything I wanted to do, just not my first choice.

In all honesty I love to build pcs and if I had the money to start my own business In that, I would.
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 11:47:52
Print Post

Very strange, I have no GCSEs at all and gained a position as a "trainee engineer", however I have quite a few vocational qualifications.
I imagine like Firstwodie says the requirements for the apprenticeship are higher than the entry level "trainee" jobs.

Edited by Swanseajack91 (Tue 14-Mar-17 11:49:06)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Mar-17 12:45:58
Print Post

[re: Bjt1992] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bjt1992:
and having done the L2 at college apparently now hold the "equivalent" in English

This might be key. What "L2" did you do in college?

In the general ranking of qualifications, GCSE grades D-G are level 1, GCSE grades A*-C are level 2, A-levels are level 3, each year (of a 3-year Batchelor degree) at university are levels 4, 5 and 6. Level 7 is a Master's degree, and level 8 is a PhD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualifications_and_Cre...

There tend to be a variety of "equivalent" diplomas and certificates at each level, so a "Level 2" diploma can indeed be equivalent to a GCSE C-grade. I guess it then depends on the subject...
Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Tue 14-Mar-17 13:41:29
Print Post

All gone a bit quiet on here, how's everyone else getting along? Hoss have you heard anything yet?
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 13:47:26
Print Post

Yeah I think lots of people are just waiting to start now. All my check have been done and the DBS sent back had an email saying i'm ready to start so just waiting to hear from my manager or the training team!
think there is still a few that haven't heard anything!
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 15:24:26
Print Post

Nothing yet !!!!
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Tue 14-Mar-17 15:36:29
Print Post

Are any of the South East Engineers still in the forum who started the course in January 2017?

Can anyone list the steps you got trough after sending in a copy of your passport?

Any help appreciated
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 16:01:30
Print Post

I haven't started yet due to start end of April but I have done everything needed

1- Had an email with the job offer and link to login to the portal
2- Signed the contract online
3- Filled out references, passport details, driving licence number and my personal details
4 -Uploaded photo of my passport and driving licence
5 -Filled out a uniform size sheet and sent back
6 -Filled out a MHRC new starter form and a Openreach pay form with my bank details
7 -Filled out the life assurance form and sent it off
8 -Applied for DBS check and scanned it once I had received it
9-Received a final email saying everything has been completed and I am ready to start detailed my mangers name, start date, and the exchange I would be based at.

Just waiting 1-2 weeks before my start date for the training team to call and arrange my ticket to yarnfield.
Standard User Burty27
(newbie) Tue 14-Mar-17 16:05:06
Print Post

Had a call from John in Scotland today to arrange trains for Sunday 2nd April to yarnfield. He said we should get the rest of the course details about 10 days before. Said there was 4 of us from Wrexham all on same train.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 18:01:14
Print Post

Have you heard anything yet?
Standard User abmis2006
(learned) Tue 14-Mar-17 18:14:29
Print Post

Sadly not mate, not too sure what to make of it smile
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 18:24:47
Print Post

Not sure what to think either!!
Standard User abmis2006
(learned) Tue 14-Mar-17 18:30:21
Print Post

I guess what will be, will be.

I hope you hear something as you've been awaiting ages!
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 18:50:34
Print Post

First applied last May!!lol assessment last July.what date was your assessment?fingers crossed for you too mate
Standard User abmis2006
(learned) Tue 14-Mar-17 19:08:28
Print Post

Was 13th Oct, so not as long as you. Thanks, will see what the future holds smile
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 19:26:17
Print Post

What area was everyone from on your assessment?anyone from Northumberland?
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Tue 14-Mar-17 21:42:20
Print Post

well my disclosure scotland says" completed, on the way" so im one step closer now
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 22:16:08
Print Post

Have you heard yet?
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Tue 14-Mar-17 22:47:20
Print Post

Apparently I applied august 15. when the guy called in sep 16 i didnt even know id applied lol
Standard User Bjt1992
(learned) Tue 14-Mar-17 23:35:56
Print Post

Well it's funny we are on this subject. I went back online and I first applied back in January 2016 and didn't hear anything until September when I was told I met the minimum requirement but there was no vacancies in my area, at the time I was like I haven't even applied because it had been that long I'd forgot. .Then got an email in September which started the ball rolling to get to the Assement in November. The 3rd July cannot come quick enough now like !!
(member) Wed 15-Mar-17 07:03:36
Print Post

Had request for National Insurance no, Driving licence and Passport Monday night at 22:35 I'm 15th May start!
Standard User MAT723
(learned) Wed 15-Mar-17 08:01:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Burty27:
Had a call from John in Scotland today to arrange trains for Sunday 2nd April to yarnfield. He said we should get the rest of the course details about 10 days before. Said there was 4 of us from Wrexham all on same train.

Awesome! Few inductional guiness sunday night tgen lads smile
Standard User Burty27
(newbie) Wed 15-Mar-17 09:07:49
Print Post

[re: MAT723] [link to this post]

Be rude not too really
Standard User SC999
(newbie) Wed 15-Mar-17 10:36:05
Print Post

Have sent you pm
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Wed 15-Mar-17 11:08:00
Print Post

[re: SC999] [link to this post]

Got it and sent you pm back,did you get it?
Standard User SC999
(newbie) Wed 15-Mar-17 11:49:05
Print Post

No it didn't come through. Have sent you another.
Standard User Realist
(member) Wed 15-Mar-17 15:58:23
Print Post

[re: hendaz1984] [link to this post]

Just completed my video interview first one of its kind I've ever done so hope I did myself justice.

Moving from Sky to BT dropping close on 10k a year but for the less stress, family life etc I'm willing to take the hit and go to OR.

Anyone else done the same type of interview?

Edited by Realist (Wed 15-Mar-17 15:59:06)

(regular) Wed 15-Mar-17 16:03:11
Print Post

[re: Realist] [link to this post]

Think you're the first! What do you do?
Standard User Realist
(member) Wed 15-Mar-17 16:13:06
Print Post

It was very strange to be honest first one I've ever done and you go mind blank, dead head just like a real interview, was looking for the pause button LOL.

You had 5 questions all different I presume between candidates.
Your shown the question for say 1 minute then you start the video interview answering the question say for 2 minutes,

Your not shown the questions before the interview so its all just like the real thing and answers are off the cuff.

If anyone wants to see a link and see what its like go HERE .

Before the interview you also do a Situational Strengths Test and that's a series of questions with answers and you move the answers into the order you think are correct, they also send to you after the Situational Strengths Test has been carried out a Online Test Feedback Report and that's a nice touch where you see your strengths and weaknesses.

Regards
(regular) Wed 15-Mar-17 16:20:08
Print Post

What area are you in?
Standard User Realist
(member) Wed 15-Mar-17 19:02:41
Print Post

South Wales.
Standard User Robmitch123
(newbie) Thu 16-Mar-17 09:53:02
Print Post

Anyone got any ideas my passport ran out last Nov I don't have a birth certificate I've applied to renem my passport should I wait for it to arrive or put the old passport number in an crack on
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 11:11:20
Print Post

[re: Robmitch123] [link to this post]

The new starter porthole states that you can use an expired passport up to 3 years out of date as long as the corner isn't cut off!
(newbie) Thu 16-Mar-17 11:29:13
Print Post

Thanks for the quick reply I must have missed that bit
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:21:25
Print Post

disclosure certificate arrived quick only took less than 6 whole days incl weekend from applying to getting it in the post
Standard User Realist
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:37:32
Print Post

Question: What's the average age of you guys that have been successful so far?

Edited by Realist (Thu 16-Mar-17 13:37:56)

Standard User MrFester
(newbie) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:50:43
Print Post

38 going on 21
Standard User MAT723
(learned) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:50:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Realist:
Question: What's the average age of you guys that have been successful so far?

(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:52:53
Print Post

25 I am, lots of younger guys at my assessments day too.
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:54:03
Print Post

I could not believe how quick the disclosure certificate was, I worked in a school before and it took 3 months! I think it may have changed since then though..
Standard User Realist
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:57:57
Print Post

Interesting range of age because I'm hoping to move to Openreach at the ripe old age of 52 smile

Also READ THIS
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Thu 16-Mar-17 14:02:33
Print Post

35 i think
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Thu 16-Mar-17 14:04:29
Print Post

Ive now asked if the trainee period can be shortened in any way
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Thu 16-Mar-17 14:19:55
Print Post

I've just turned 51
Standard User Realist
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 14:48:36
Print Post

We're in the same club don't feel left out now smile

In reply to a post by Dixi2u:
I've just turned 51
Standard User Burty27
(newbie) Thu 16-Mar-17 14:57:59
Print Post

40 but could pass for 39 1/2!!
Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Thu 16-Mar-17 16:14:22
Print Post

Standard User MC31
(regular) Thu 16-Mar-17 18:33:32
Print Post

I thought you would all be young blades in your early twenties.Hope you all get your start dates ASAP so you can do your budding in good weather.

Standard User Realist
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 18:48:02
Print Post

I'm waiting on the outcome of the video interview then I have the induction to do and fingers crossed an offer.

I'm a bit peeved off where I work to many restrictions in place now so a move is needed after 8 plus years and a massive wage drop but no stress.

Edited by Realist (Thu 16-Mar-17 18:48:36)

Standard User MC31
(regular) Thu 16-Mar-17 19:11:40
Print Post

I am not sure that many CSEs (Customer Service Engineer ) would agree that there is no stress.But there could be more in the job you have now ?

(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 21:01:28
Print Post

43 and aging quicker since applying for this position. Do Stannah do pole climbing gear Lol!!
(regular) Thu 16-Mar-17 21:11:50
Print Post

Also 43
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 21:17:15
Print Post

I'm having a mid life crisis how about you?
(regular) Thu 16-Mar-17 21:18:34
Print Post

Have been for about 10 years!
Standard User MC31
(regular) Thu 16-Mar-17 21:22:46
Print Post

You will be ok i know guys who did pole climbing well in to their 60's , use it or lose it !

Standard User Realist
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 21:42:39
Print Post

I'm not worried about pole climbing its what I do everyday of the week in my current job climbing ladders.

I just wana get out.
Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Thu 16-Mar-17 23:33:57
Print Post

27 here and just wanting to learn some new skills in a new job
Standard User Dippa
(newbie) Fri 17-Mar-17 00:06:36
Print Post

Applied for the trainee engineer position and been invited to do the video interview!

Never done one of these before, anyone able to shed some light on this ?

What sort of questions do they ask, anything I should consider gaining knowledge with ?

Any help appreciated smile
Standard User Realist
(member) Fri 17-Mar-17 00:49:33
Print Post

[re: Dippa] [link to this post]

See my post above.

In reply to a post by Dippa:
Applied for the trainee engineer position and been invited to do the video interview!

What sort of questions do they ask, anything I should consider gaining knowledge with ?

(newbie) Fri 17-Mar-17 07:46:08
Print Post

Hi guys I've been trying to do my disclosure Scotland anyone have trouble uploading photos I manage to get my gas bill uploaded but it won't let me do driving licence anyone got any info did you upload both or just 1 cheers
(member) Fri 17-Mar-17 08:48:53
Print Post

I had trouble as well I had to use a online tool to resize them because the image files where to big to upload.
I uploaded driving licence and utility bill, not sure if you need both though.
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Fri 17-Mar-17 09:25:38
Print Post

Scanned mine in as PDF's and had no problems
(member) Fri 17-Mar-17 10:53:52
Print Post

I had problems too it is a bit temperamental if you are having a lot of issues you can e-mail them through!
Standard User Dippa
(newbie) Fri 17-Mar-17 12:19:59
Print Post

See my post above.

Thanks Realist smile

Were the questions focused on you and your personality or job specific ?

Could you give any examples ?

Thank you
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Fri 17-Mar-17 13:19:29
Print Post

just open them in paint and resize them
Standard User Realist
(member) Fri 17-Mar-17 16:08:41
Print Post

They are job specific but I found it being my first interview of that type more daunting than face to face.

See my post above.

Thanks Realist smile

Were the questions focused on you and your personality or job specific ?

Could you give any examples ?

Thank you
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Mar-17 17:00:53
Print Post

'm not worried about pole climbing its what I do everyday of the week in my current job climbing ladders.

Climbing ladders and climbing poles are two different things.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Mar-17 17:03:20
Print Post

Damn straight 31.... it's eased a tad with the new bod at the helm, but the past couple of years had been most stressful.

Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Sat 18-Mar-17 01:33:34
Print Post

i hate heights, luckily the area im getting assigned to has very little poles
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Mar-17 07:38:39
Print Post

Even if you don't climb poles there will still be ladder work.

When I started if you couldn't climb a pole satisfactorily then they didn't keep you on. (This may have changed I guess.)

The first pole I climbed was on the snowy training field in Croyden TEC. Keen to get it over with, and show off a tad to the others and a handful of existing frames staff being taught to climb, I volunteered to be one of the first pair up. Having successfully reached the working steps and put the pole belt round (we 'free climbed to the top then, no fall arrest lanyard) the trainer shouted up to lean back into the belt, hands free, and make ourselves comfy for ten minutes, I rolled a fag ....

If you can't do heights is this really a role for you ?

(regular) Sat 18-Mar-17 09:31:39
Print Post

Climbing poles is really safe. Ladders tied top and bottom. Lanyard to stop you hitting the ground if you fall. The dangerous bit is working at the house end!

Edited by BothLegsDis (Sat 18-Mar-17 10:01:10)

Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Sat 18-Mar-17 12:41:42
Print Post

probably not, but having spent the last few years single handedly creating a new telecoms protocol for smart homes ive realised theres no one recruiting for that. and having a BEng in telecoms and years of mil comms experience theres not too many companies to go for. I dont have ucas points or civi hands on experience so im not what theyre looking for further up the ranks. A jobs a job so ill do anything not to go on the dole. Anyway i didnt say i cant do heights , i can i just said i hate them.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Mar-17 13:11:13
Print Post

Fair enough. Good luck.

Standard User Realist
(member) Sat 18-Mar-17 17:18:04
Print Post

Just received this email:

We’re pleased to tell you that you’ve passed our initial screening. We’re progressing your application for the Trainee Openreach Engineer position to the next stage of the recruitment process, which is where we consider your application against others for an Assessment Centre

Our assessment centres take place between March and August. Unfortunately due to the high volume of applications we receive it’s not possible for us to invite all candidates who reach this stage to attend an assessment centre. We invite candidates to an assessment centre based on how well they have done in the earlier parts of the application process and how much of a match they are for the roles we have available.

If you are successful in receiving an invite to an assessment we’ll be in touch to provide further information about the role we’re considering you for and with additional details about the day.

As we arrange hundreds of assessment centres, it does take some planning and there may be a delay in you hearing from us to let you know whether you have been successful at this stage or not. However, we will send you regular updates to let you know if you have been chosen for an assessment centre place.

We’ll be in touch with an update as soon as we can. If you have any questions before you’ve heard from us please email bt.apprenticeships@bt.com

Until then, thank you for your patience and well done again on making it this far.

Best wishes

BT Recruitment Team

They must be packed up with applications so I now have a few months of wait frown

Owe well.
(member) Sat 18-Mar-17 18:50:22
Print Post

You can look forward to a long wait mate unless they have changed the process, will be 6 months after applying that I start. And that's fairly quick compared to others! Good luck anyway hoping the wait will be worth it!
Standard User Realist
(member) Sun 19-Mar-17 00:02:31
Print Post

I'm currently employed and have been for 9 years just looking for a change so a wait is nothing.
(member) Sun 19-Mar-17 20:53:23
Print Post

You shouldn't have as long a wait as us. I think we got caught up in the Ofcom re-organisation of the management structure. They are taking on 1500-3000 over the next couple of years!

Edited by Firsttwodie (Sun 19-Mar-17 20:54:16)

Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Mon 20-Mar-17 00:28:34
Print Post

has anyone had an acknowledgement of receipt of their disclosure scotland? I dont seem to be getting much in the way of answers to questions/ or acknowledging receipt of task items?
(member) Mon 20-Mar-17 07:19:41
Print Post

I haven't had any acknowledgement yet i sent 2 emails now just asking to confirm I have done everything.
Before I sent it in i had an email saying i was all ready to start though subject to DBS and reffrences. I was talking to a Debbie Ryan and I think she was on leave a purple of days last week so that mAybe why
(member) Mon 20-Mar-17 11:01:30
Print Post

Just had confirmation that she received it this morning so they should get back to you soon I would imagine.
Standard User Bjt1992
(learned) Mon 20-Mar-17 11:50:39
Print Post

Just came across this link on the OR twitter.
https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/news/200317-...

Makes an interesting read about the recruitment programme and there's a link to the YouTube channel which they have uploaded some VR videos of the kit in the van, inside an exchange, the PCP and from the top of a pole.

Can't wait to start now like roll on July 3rd !! Wish I was starting next month though frown

Edited by Bjt1992 (Mon 20-Mar-17 11:54:59)

Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Mon 20-Mar-17 12:15:09
Print Post

I sent a couple of emails asking for clarification on a couple of things, and it took a whole week for a reply. Just sent my disclosure back to them, I would expect an acknowledgment for that one seeing as it is sensitive info?
(member) Mon 20-Mar-17 13:43:58
Print Post

Haha thanks for that they are pretty cool!
Lets hope the weather is like that for when we start out and about properly, probably wont be for me in Wales..

Not to much longer April 24th cant come soon enough!
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Mon 20-Mar-17 15:23:23
Print Post

Can't wait to hand in notice on Friday to see reaction. Tied to get me to go offshore today. Same start date as you too.
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Mon 20-Mar-17 16:03:51
Print Post

***Apologies to those who are waiting and have not heard***

To all those who have received the contract. If I read it correctly :

the 15 minute van checks are done in your own time

unpaid flexi time is used to complete jobs

up to a total of 120 mins unpaid travel time each day

at worst the working week could be 48.25 hours payed at 37 hours rate plus unpaid flexi hours worked, which I assume you get back.

The pension and life insurance appears quite reasonable
Standard User unknown101
(learned) Mon 20-Mar-17 17:11:37
Print Post

The 15 minutes vehicle safety check is done in your own time this is known as part of your "parking at home agreeement", this is for the privilege of being able to park at home save you having to commute.

Upto 60 minutes flex can be used to work on to finish jobs within 16:10-17:10, this can be claimed back to allow you to finish prior to 16:10 (up to an hour), you will have a flex balance of between -6 hours and +6 hours but its preferred to keep it +/- 2-3 hours.

Your contracts will state a 60 minute travel time but this will be considerably lower depending on your area (it'll usually be around 30-45 minutes), the full hour can be invoked with 24 hours notice usually if your required to work in a different patch.

The pension is good and so is the share scheme which some of you may miss the first year if you come join Openreach later in the year.
Standard User Dylan79
(newbie) Mon 20-Mar-17 19:02:59
Print Post

Take those videos with a pinch of salt as its not like that in reality. Everything shown is optimal conditions but you'll see what its really like when you go out in the field.
Standard User deejay126
(newbie) Mon 20-Mar-17 19:31:49
Print Post

[re: Dylan79] [link to this post]

Hi guys,

Enjoyed reading about all of your application experiences. Does anyone have any more info regarding the online video interview? i.e. What questions were asked?

I read earlier there were 5 questions with a 2 minute answering period (great help btw)

Thanks in advance.
Standard User gouledw
(learned) Mon 20-Mar-17 22:41:10
Print Post

That's what makes me feel sorry for you guys. Potentially 11 hours a week unpaid, plus flex which can work great for you but can also be the biggest headache when you really need that time. I wish luck to all you new guys, enjoy your dropwiring course particularly!
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Tue 21-Mar-17 07:59:53
Print Post

[re: gouledw] [link to this post]

Question. How many people get paid to travel to and from work? If you look at it like that its not so bad. Used to commute 90 mins each way to work at my cost..
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 09:05:46
Print Post

Exactly my thoughts I Travel nearly 2 hours a day at the moment back and forth to work. You cant expect your employer to pay you for the time traveled to work!
maybe im wrong but thats just my way of thinking.
Standard User witchunt
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 09:14:35
Print Post

Office based workers are required to travel in their own time, it's not unreasonable to expect the mobile workforce to do similar.
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Tue 21-Mar-17 09:43:47
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Im not so sure, lets say the exchange is 20 mins away and you have to pick up some sort of connector on your way and your first job is half hour past the exchange.
should you be unpaid from exchange to first job? What if your van was at the exchange and you drove to pick it up? pay shouldnt start from home but should it start at the exchange or first job?
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 10:10:45
Print Post

I totally Agree, either way im not bothered about it so it wont really affect me when I start properly, I dont mind giving a small amount of my own time to who ever is employing me!(Obviously within reason lol)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Mar-17 10:17:52
Print Post

What if your van was at the exchange and you drove to pick it up? pay shouldnt start from home but should it start at the exchange or first job?

Then you'd be a 'yard parker' a completely different arrangement, and possibly not one open to those on the new contracts.

The answer is that the current system works well. You'll very rarely be in the same place every day, so 'swings and roundabouts' means it evens out.

I used to have to give five minutes (this was the agreed time it would take to travel to the nearest exchange on my managers patch) I have now moved completely out of area, and so now have to give thirty minutes travel. I 'plug in' (pick up my first job) at 7.00 and aim to be there for 8.00. I set off sometime between 7.15 and 7.30 dependant on where I'm off to. Traffic means that I don't always get on site bang on 8.00 but it is clear I have tried (trackers on the vans if no one has told you).

At the end of day if I receive a 'ring control' message (no job that is deemed do-able within the remaining time) with less than an hour to go to my rostered finish I can choose to travel home, when I get there I knock off my 30 mins agreed travel from my time sheet. Sometimes I might get stuck on a job and work on past finish time, this adds to my flex balance ....... sometimes it becomes clear that the task cannot be finished that day for various reasons and then you retain it overnight.

This is not a role for clock watchers or those who believe that they should finish work bang on time every day. But the system works fairly well and provides flexibility for both the staff and the company at various times.

Oh, and if you absolutely cannot be late finishing on a certain day, you text a code in and work allocation will not issue work that that on paper might take you past your end of day.

Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Tue 21-Mar-17 13:17:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
What if your van was at the exchange and you drove to pick it up? pay shouldnt start from home but should it start at the exchange or first job?

Then you'd be a 'yard parker' a completely different arrangement, and possibly not one open to those on the new contracts.

The answer is that the current system works well. You'll very rarely be in the same place every day, so 'swings and roundabouts' means it evens out.

I used to have to give five minutes (this was the agreed time it would take to travel to the nearest exchange on my managers patch) I have now moved completely out of area, and so now have to give thirty minutes travel. I 'plug in' (pick up my first job) at 7.00 and aim to be there for 8.00. I set off sometime between 7.15 and 7.30 dependant on where I'm off to. Traffic means that I don't always get on site bang on 8.00 but it is clear I have tried (trackers on the vans if no one has told you).

At the end of day if I receive a 'ring control' message (no job that is deemed do-able within the remaining time) with less than an hour to go to my rostered finish I can choose to travel home, when I get there I knock off my 30 mins agreed travel from my time sheet. Sometimes I might get stuck on a job and work on past finish time, this adds to my flex balance ....... sometimes it becomes clear that the task cannot be finished that day for various reasons and then you retain it overnight.

This is not a role for clock watchers or those who believe that they should finish work bang on time every day. But the system works fairly well and provides flexibility for both the staff and the company at various times.

Oh, and if you absolutely cannot be late finishing on a certain day, you text a code in and work allocation will not issue work that that on paper might take you past your end of day.

Is there the option of taking the extra time as paid overtime rather than flex time?
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 13:51:58
Print Post

Do newbies get a brand new van when you start like a 17 plate?
also I assume it will look a little different with just the openreach branding.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Mar-17 15:41:46
Print Post

No idea, I got a new one when I started, R reg it was, looked a little different too wink

Some do and some don't from what I've seen round here, but then they seem to get any second hand ones replaced shortly after.

I've not heard anything about logos changing yet, but doubtless they will, and on the image clothing too.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Mar-17 15:45:02
Print Post

Is there the option of taking the extra time as paid overtime rather than flex time?

The system is called Flex, and has balances running from -6 hours to +6 hours, if you go above a +6 balance then yes, they will pay that as O/T.

Also if you work on over an hour after your rostered finish time then any time after the hour will be paid O/T too.

Standard User MC31
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 17:40:28
Print Post

A big plus for a lot of home parkers is not having to run a 2rd car and pay for fuel.Also if van dont start / snowed in ect its not a big deal as you are at "work" sat in the van.Anyways i dont think you new guys can work as yard parkers, you "may" be able to leave the works van in a yard / exch but would still have to give travel time.

For most home parking works out ok.

Edited by MC31 (Tue 21-Mar-17 17:41:35)

(newbie) Tue 21-Mar-17 18:06:35
Print Post

Hey guys I've payed for the disclosure Scotland. I took a screen shot of the receipt when I done it.
On the receipt it has obvs a receipt no. It also has a case refrance no is that what I need to put in on the tasks or do I have to wait for the certificate to arrive? Only asking as had a reminder email today
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Tue 21-Mar-17 18:20:27
Print Post

its the case number you enter, theyve not confirmed receipt of my certificate scan
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 19:31:24
Print Post

Did mine Wednesday states in the post yesterday so quick turnaround.
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 20:11:51
Print Post

They are really quick mine took 5 day from application to delivery, much improved from ones i have had done in the past
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 20:38:54
Print Post

Your query over the van logo can could be quite simple it could just be removing the BT logo which doesn't form part of the main vinyl stickers on some vans signage.
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 20:46:51
Print Post

Yeah i did wonder if they would do that, I thought they may put a new design on new vans though have to wait and see not that it really matter lol...
Standard User gouledw
(learned) Tue 21-Mar-17 21:04:32
Print Post

It's the fact that you finish at say 1500, and it takes an hour to get home, you have to knock an hour off. So you finish at 1500, you're deducted an hours flex. Plus you can't take your van anywhere apart from home so its not exactly fair. If I was commuting an hour say to work, at least on the way back I could divert to where I wanted.

And what makes it unfair is the fact I for example, have to travel an hour. I get to the exchange for 8, vehicle checks for 15 mins (in the company's time) and then travel to first job, an hour later at 9 I arrive. And then at end of day, I need to get home for 16:10, it takes me an hour, I leave at 15:10 and I get back for 16:10, that's when I'm paid till. You do that same journey and you're leaving at 7am and getting back for 16:10 but technically you finished at 15:10. By the time you add your commitment (at a max), your 22 days a year and also your extra 1.5 hours a week you could potentially be working for 5 more weeks a year than I have too, but still get paid the same.

Work stays in the yard when I finish. It doesn't come home with me. Obviously there are benefits however I strongly believe that the parking at home agreement is extremely unfair towards the employees.

Edited by gouledw (Tue 21-Mar-17 21:07:40)

Standard User partial
(experienced) Tue 21-Mar-17 21:22:43
Print Post

I agree. Parking at home and giving as much time as your boss thinks he can get away with for the privilege of providing openreach free hardstanding is a very poor deal.

If a job is worth doing, it's worth getting paid for in my view.
(regular) Wed 22-Mar-17 06:45:22
Print Post

I've heard we are going back to having yellow Telecom vans laugh
(member) Wed 22-Mar-17 07:43:08
Print Post

Apparently the accident rate went up when they swapped from yellow to dark blue and grey vans!
Retro!!

Edited by Firsttwodie (Wed 22-Mar-17 07:43:49)

Standard User MrFester
(newbie) Wed 22-Mar-17 10:21:02
Print Post

Anybody know if openreach will reimburse you for having to pay for a parking permit for the works van? I'll need one for parking the van at home and wondered if it'll cost me or the company.
On another note, has anybody thats starting on 3rd April heard anymore after getting your train tickets about what to take to Yarnfield for the first week?
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Wed 22-Mar-17 11:05:14
Print Post

yeah i only havee the one space in my block. ill have to rent a space from another flat..
Standard User unknown101
(learned) Wed 22-Mar-17 12:54:54
Print Post

No ones forcing you to work for Openreach if you do, sure other jobs where you need to commute to work at your own expense and time are available.
Standard User unknown101
(learned) Wed 22-Mar-17 12:56:24
Print Post

No Openreach don't foot the bill it's at your own expense, if you don't have one in place at the time of allocation of your van then you won't be able to take it home.
Standard User unknown101
(learned) Wed 22-Mar-17 12:57:20
Print Post

You'll have to rent another space at your own expense unfortunately
Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Wed 22-Mar-17 13:14:29
Print Post

[re: unknown101] [link to this post]

Hi fellas had the email today to accept the job offer electronically, how long before the pre employment bits come through after you send accept back?
Standard User MrFester
(newbie) Wed 22-Mar-17 13:55:26
Print Post

[re: unknown101] [link to this post]

Fair enough, such is life. when I spoke to one of the people on the phone arranging training dates and such they said that they couldnt give me the reg of my van (which I need to apply for a permit) as it isnt decided what van I'll get till we turn up on the friday at Magna park to pick them up. seems a bit strange but there you go. guess i'll have to walk for a while then lol
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Wed 22-Mar-17 14:52:09
Print Post

Is there anyone still waiting to hear?

The request for information came at the same time as the job offer

The vans i saw people issued were Vauxhall

I understand you have a driving assessment in the first week at Yarnfield and then get your van from Loughborough on Friday via a coach
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Wed 22-Mar-17 15:13:22
Print Post

I'm still waiting to hear!!!!heard that recruiting 10 in Northumberland in Berwick ,Morpeth and Ashington.fingers crossed.
Got sent an email in error saying no jobs in my area,it was recalled!
Standard User MrFester
(newbie) Wed 22-Mar-17 15:30:59
Print Post

I was told Loughborough too when I went for my assesment day, but the guy I spoke to last week said we pick them up from Magna park (Lutterworth) Shame really cos I live in loughborough

Edited by MrFester (Wed 22-Mar-17 15:31:35)

Standard User Realist
(member) Wed 22-Mar-17 18:32:31
Print Post

Received a txt today saying they are arranging an assessment for me at Yarnfield for 28th March but Ive just checked my Emails and that says the 2nd April in Bristol?

Uhh confused .com?
(regular) Wed 22-Mar-17 19:10:57
Print Post

2nd April is a Sunday??
Standard User deejay126
(newbie) Wed 22-Mar-17 19:26:46
Print Post

Hi guys,

Any tips for the 'online video interview'?

I believe it is a new stage in the recruitment process

Thanks.
Standard User Mal309
(newbie) Wed 22-Mar-17 19:48:06
Print Post

1st post here. Had an email invitation today to an assessment day in Bristol on 4th April. It did also say at the top that the location was Yarnfield crazy
Standard User deejay126
(newbie) Wed 22-Mar-17 20:13:06
Print Post

[re: Mal309] [link to this post]

Did you go through the Online Video Interview?

If so, what did it entail?
Standard User Mal309
(newbie) Wed 22-Mar-17 21:22:52
Print Post

[re: deejay126] [link to this post]

Yes, I had the video interview last week.

It was a new experience for me and to be honest I was surprised how nerve wracking i found it. It's also strange not having the reactions of an interviewer to work with, it's just you talking to your laptop.

There was a setup section and practice questions so you can get used to it and check how the recording looks and sounds. Then once it started for real it was 5 questions you get a certain amount of time to read each question and a certain amount of time to answer. Questions were fairly standard, why do you want to join openreach etc etc.

In the end I think it was only 30 mins and that included the setup.
(member) Wed 22-Mar-17 22:30:56
Print Post

With reference to your query over the van Logo change with the Openreach BT split I'm positive I saw 2 Openreach vans together today and one didn't have BT livery on it just the Openreach livery the other van looked normal so could be a new boy Buddying with an experienced OR engineer!
(member) Thu 23-Mar-17 06:20:37
Print Post

Sounds like it! I don't see why they would still be branding the new vans just to pull it off!
I will keep an eye out see if i can spot one
Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Thu 23-Mar-17 13:08:06
Print Post

Has anyone who has returned the disclosure Scotland certificate to Open reach yet had it acknowledged? They aren't replying again.
Standard User Realist
(member) Thu 23-Mar-17 13:08:34
Print Post

Received my invite today for an assessment at Bristol on the 5th April, anyone else's going?

Also what is the assessment all about?
Any advice and tips?
What's the practical?

Thanks.
Standard User Realist
(member) Thu 23-Mar-17 13:21:20
Print Post

Sorry it should of been the 4th.

In reply to a post by BothLegsDis:
2nd April is a Sunday??
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Thu 23-Mar-17 13:32:40
Print Post

I phoned up and got it acknowledged
(member) Thu 23-Mar-17 13:53:08
Print Post

Assessment day for me was set out as shown below

1 - introduction about the company and role explained
2 - we then did the practical which is very easy wiring a household plug (with instructions)
3 - then a colour blind test name the colours from a few wires.
4 - then 2 interviews with different interviewers, I would research ALOT about open reach especially with the new split, have previous situations ready and dont forget to mention health and safety they liked it when I mentioned risk assessment.
5 - All done then found out 2 days later then a 6 month wait to start!

Good luck
(member) Thu 23-Mar-17 13:54:10
Print Post

Took about a week for my Disclosure to be acknowledged by email. I think my recruitment advisor was on annual leave though.
Standard User Realist
(member) Thu 23-Mar-17 13:54:34
Print Post

Thanks bud great help.

Assessment day for me was set out as shown below

1 - introduction about the company and role explained
2 - we then did the practical which is very easy wiring a household plug (with instructions)
3 - then a colour blind test name the colours from a few wires.
4 - then 2 interviews with different interviewers, I would research ALOT about open reach especially with the new split, have previous situations ready and dont forget to mention health and safety they liked it when I mentioned risk assessment.
5 - All done then found out 2 days later then a 6 month wait to start!

Good luck
Standard User Burty27
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 12:51:44
Print Post

Just received final induction letter. Says 2 weeks yarnfield to start.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 14:12:07
Print Post

I've waited since last May......but just been offered a position!!start 8th May.
(regular) Fri 24-Mar-17 14:22:17
Print Post

Congrats Hoss, well done!
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 14:28:51
Print Post

You've waited a long time mate
Standard User davek19
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 14:42:36
Print Post

Hi guys just come discovered this great forum. I've submitted my application and done the situational strengths test and video interview. How long after after the video interview did you guys get a decision to go to the next stage? I was very nervous during the video interview and feel I was not my best! I wonder if the decision to go to the assessment centre is now based on my CV, situational strength test and video combined rather than just the video alone. Thanks
Standard User MrFester
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 14:53:32
Print Post

my letter says three weeks in Yarnfield. you on a april 3rd start?
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 15:33:39
Print Post

Cheers!!!
Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Fri 24-Mar-17 15:36:19
Print Post

Just had it acknowledged via email, and they said I would hear from them again a week before my start date to focus training / travel etc. 8th may can't come quick enough now.
Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Fri 24-Mar-17 15:37:32
Print Post

Congrats mate. You've Waited long enough!!
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 16:06:22
Print Post

Cheers!!seems like forever lol can't wait to start!anyone else starting 8th May??
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Fri 24-Mar-17 16:12:53
Print Post

Im possibly starting on may 8th
Standard User Burty27
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 17:01:30
Print Post

Yes April 3rd start. 2 weeks then off to closer location for 3rd onwards.
Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Fri 24-Mar-17 17:34:41
Print Post

I'm due to start 8th may at yarnfield, few beers on the cards I think!
Standard User Realist
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 18:10:02
Print Post

I congrats to you all and I hope soon that I get the opportunity to move from my current job to Openreach very soon.

And when I get the call I hope to meet some of you in Yarnfield.

Congrats all.
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 18:14:11
Print Post

Well done Hoss about time!
But you're a cheeky beggar after all this time you manage to sneak in a week before me for training!!!
Lol
Standard User SC999
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 18:59:19
Print Post

Congratulations mate. Bet that's a huge relief.
Standard User SC999
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 19:17:47
Print Post

Still waiting unfortunately. Had an email to say I would hear by the end of this week.....
I've been waiting since November.
I have a family and mortgage to look after so can't wait forever.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 19:39:55
Print Post

[re: SC999] [link to this post]

Fingers crossed for you mate.I'm only in part time work just now,and also have a family etc
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 19:41:45
Print Post

Hahaha mate!!absolutely buzzing.cant wait to start
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 19:43:50
Print Post

Definitely mate!could be on same train
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 21:19:13
Print Post

Cool! glad for you Hoss!
Now those that have got details of their start of course is it 2 weeks in Yarnfield Park and 6 elsewhere or is it 1 and 7?

Edited by Firsttwodie (Sat 25-Mar-17 08:15:31)

Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 21:56:38
Print Post

I am 1 week Yarnfield,7 weeks at Livingston and 4 weeks with buddy
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 22:14:45
Print Post

Cheers!
Standard User Cal550
(newbie) Fri 24-Mar-17 22:46:51
Print Post

Just thought I'd pop back into the forums, 5 months today I started my training at Yarnfield, if there's anything I can try answer, I've been through it recently although it looks as thought the training has already changed slightly. Can also suggest if anyone happens to be from North of Scotland you'll possibly get a flight from Inverness to get to Yarnfield.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 22:57:55
Print Post

[re: Cal550] [link to this post]

What happens at your first week at Yarnfield?What do you all need to take?
Standard User Cal550
(learned) Fri 24-Mar-17 23:28:11
Print Post

If I can remember it all haha,

An extra case to take all your corporate clothing and PPE back (mind you you'll probably get it in a box and it can just go in the back of the van). Think they also want you to take your documents again just in case and your driving licence. Possibly a passport photo although you may not need that until the following weeks. That's all I can remember that they actually ask you to take, the rest is personal belongings.

The first day is like an introduction to the company, also a very brief overview of the network (Exchange-Cabinet-Pole-Socket). They put all 45 of us together for the first day and done some ice breaking stuff to introduce us all. After that we had a quick look around a standard Vivaro and got our clothing/PPE.

The next day you get broken down into your training groups by what centre you'll be going to afterwards. So it was eight of us going to Livingston. That day is just a health and safety course, it's one of the courses you may need a passport photo for but our trainer just took new ones that day on his own camera.

Wednesday was customer care, all about how to treat the customers, also about equivalance, being Openreach and treating all providers (BT, Sky, TalkTalk) the same.

Thursday was driving assessment, morning is theory, no test involved, for us is was more like an informal chat and some videos on a Powerpoint. Then after lunch you go out in a van around Stone/Yarnfield and on the motorway, do some manouveres etc. Tip, if you go out in a Vauxhall Vivaro and stall it, don't turn the ignition off, it restarts itself, I found that out the hard way on a roundabout haha. Providing your deemed safe, which as long as you aren't a maniac you should be, you get your van to take home. Us guys from the far north of Scotland (Inverness/Thurso) got to go out to Magna Park on the Thursday night to collect them since it's such a long drive back on Friday, you tend to leave on Friday about 11/12 after a few hours on manual handling course and go out to Magna Park if you haven't gone out on Thursday.

As for Yarnfield itself, I found it alright to spend the week at without venturing out, apparently there's a pub in the village but the shops are a few miles away. There's the bar that our group normally went to most nights after dinner, also vending machines in the accomodation blocks, which I seen them starting to renovate when I was there so the whole lot might be done by now.

Also the Wednesday/Thursday may get switched around, since they can't have the whole lot of you doing driving on the one day. As I say that's what I had, they might have changed some things now but will probably be pretty similar.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 24-Mar-17 23:51:47
Print Post

Cheers thanks for the great info
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Sat 25-Mar-17 08:05:20
Print Post

What was the training like after you left Yarnfield?

What are you now doing day to day?
Standard User Cal550
(learned) Sat 25-Mar-17 11:52:37
Print Post

Our 4 weeks in Livingston flew by, might be better if you're going to get more time. You aren't expected to remember everything and be brilliant straight away, it's really to make sure you're capable of following procedures, and to give you an idea of what to do in your buddying and on the job. Again I know you'll need a passport photo for the Streetworks course.
At the moment I'm definitely still learning but stuff has started to click, you start out on provides and possibly faults, quite a lot of simple cab jumpers to connect people to the fibre DSLAMs. My typical day still involves quite simple stuff (when I see what the more experience underground guys do).
Standard User Antdawe
(learned) Sat 25-Mar-17 12:07:02
Print Post

Thanks for the info.

How did it work for food? Was you expected to pay and then get it reimbursed or ......
Standard User Cal550
(learned) Sat 25-Mar-17 12:43:52
Print Post

[re: Antdawe] [link to this post]

In Yarnfield the training centre restaurant gives you breakfast, lunch and dinner free, food is quite decent actually. In Livingston we got breakfast in the hotel for free and they put packed lunches out for us to take to the training centre, for dinner we had a set allowance to choose what we wanted from the hotel menu.
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Sat 25-Mar-17 13:41:38
Print Post

Just had Disclosure Scotland Certificate back, took 5 days from ordering to delivery.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sat 25-Mar-17 14:53:36
Print Post

So you only need money for vending machines and an odd pint?
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sat 25-Mar-17 14:56:44
Print Post

How much do they cost?
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Sat 25-Mar-17 18:02:10
Print Post

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Standard User Realist
(member) Sat 25-Mar-17 18:45:22
Print Post

What are Openreach rotas like?
Standard User Cal550
(learned) Sat 25-Mar-17 19:14:20
Print Post

Yeah, everything else is paid for, apart from if you choose the M6 toll to get to/ from Magna Park. I can't actually remember how much their pints are. Also if it's any help there's a cash machine in Yarnfield Park.
I'm currently on 8:00-16:10 Mon-Fri but there's also travel time and that you have to give. I think you tend to get every 4th Saturday once you're a bit more trained up.
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Sat 25-Mar-17 19:50:23
Print Post

That's 8 hours 10 minutes a day. I take it that includes your 30 minutes for lunch?

What would you say your average travel time is to and from the first and last job?
Standard User gouledw
(learned) Sat 25-Mar-17 20:10:50
Print Post

Average is about 20-30 mins. And it's 40 minutes for lunch. After a while between 1 and 2 years you'll be expected to do between 12 and 18 Saturdays a year depending on where you're based in the country.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sat 25-Mar-17 21:02:42
Print Post

Where do you pick your van up about,if based at Yarnfield for the first week?
Standard User pythonz
(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 12:56:27
Print Post

[re: davek19] [link to this post]

Hi

After a year of waiting, i was told to reapply for the Openreach Network engineer position. I took the situation Strengths test and passed couple of days ago. I now have a link from a third party website called Sonru for a video interview (closing date 29 March 2017 @ 23.59). Never completed a video interview before, All new to me, i wish i was a youtuber now lol .

On a serious note, does anyone have pointers what questions are expected? I believe there are only 5 questions to be completed in 30 minutes.

I have read somewhere one of the question is why do you want to work for Openreach?
do they ask any question about your current role?, why you suited to this role? or what qualities/abilities would you bring to the role? or skill do you possess?

Appreciate any information from those guys who have already took this interview and congratualtions to all who have gone to the next stage.

I missed out last year only because no places were left in my area so couldn't move to the next stage of the process ie attend the assessment centre. No video interview back in April last year 2016. I guess this is easier for them to filter the recruits.

Thanks in advance

Edited by pythonz (Sun 26-Mar-17 13:01:42)

Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Sun 26-Mar-17 14:34:37
Print Post

Thanks for all the insight. Is there opportunity to work overtime on the Saturday while your still kind of new to the role?
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sun 26-Mar-17 14:49:31
Print Post

Is there a central place that you need to go to when picking up your van?
(member) Sun 26-Mar-17 15:51:21
Print Post

I believe it's Magna Park Lutterworth you get the van from Hoss!

Edited by Firsttwodie (Sun 26-Mar-17 15:51:54)

Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sun 26-Mar-17 17:18:59
Print Post

A good drive home for me then lol
(regular) Sun 26-Mar-17 17:25:48
Print Post

Don't forget you'll be running it in Hoss, 30MPH all the way home ��
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sun 26-Mar-17 17:29:52
Print Post

Says take over 4hrs to get home!!more like 6hrs lol

Edited by Hoss28 (Sun 26-Mar-17 17:36:26)

Standard User davek19
(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 18:24:02
Print Post

Just received this email:

We’re pleased to tell you that you’ve passed our initial screening. We’re progressing your application for the Trainee Openreach Engineer position to the next stage of the recruitment process, which is where we consider your application against others for an Assessment Centre

Our assessment centres take place between March and August. Unfortunately due to the high volume of applications we receive it’s not possible for us to invite all candidates who reach this stage to attend an assessment centre. We invite candidates to an assessment centre based on how well they have done in the earlier parts of the application process and how much of a match they are for the roles we have available.

If you are successful in receiving an invite to an assessment we’ll be in touch to provide further information about the role we’re considering you for and with additional details about the day.

As we arrange hundreds of assessment centres, it does take some planning and there may be a delay in you hearing from us to let you know whether you have been successful at this stage or not. However, we will send you regular updates to let you know if you have been chosen for an assessment centre place.

We’ll be in touch with an update as soon as we can. If you have any questions before you’ve heard from us please email bt.apprenticeships@bt.com

Until then, thank you for your patience and well done again on making it this far.

Best wishes

BT Recruitment Team

They must be packed up with applications so I now have a few months of wait frown

Owe well.

How long after your video interview did you get this email? Thanks in advance
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sun 26-Mar-17 18:35:44
Print Post

I first applied last May and only got my start day on Friday!!
Standard User davek19
(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 18:47:57
Print Post

That's some wait! It'll be worth it, no doubt. I bet your made up. I'm guessing you didn't have to go through a video interview last year?
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Sun 26-Mar-17 19:01:37
Print Post

Just had a wee check on aa route planner and 400+ miles and 7+ hour. What will be a joyous Friday drive
(regular) Sun 26-Mar-17 19:13:55
Print Post

The video interview is a new thing started this year. Most people have had a year or more journey to get a start date
Standard User davek19
(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 20:11:33
Print Post

I don't mind the wait, I'm just not very optimistic after my video interview which I feel wasn't as strong as it could be.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sun 26-Mar-17 20:48:36
Print Post

Few stops for you then
Standard User pythonz
(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 21:16:32
Print Post

What sort of questions do they ask on the video interview? Since this process is so new, can't find any information anywhere.

Would be nice to findout if they are general interview questions or competency based?

Thanks for the heads up
Standard User davek19
(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 21:26:58
Print Post

[re: pythonz] [link to this post]

5 random general interview questions from what I remember of it
Standard User Antdawe
(learned) Sun 26-Mar-17 21:29:32
Print Post

How does the flexi time work? What's the most flexi you can knock off your shift on a single day? Say for the school run etc.
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Mon 27-Mar-17 09:13:05
Print Post

Can see a few comfort breaks needing to be taken, might also need to refuel too.
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 10:03:33
Print Post

Anyone been issued a rental car instead of train ticket ? I got start date for 22nd of may I don't wanna drive up wanna relax on the train
Standard User Realist
(member) Mon 27-Mar-17 10:58:46
Print Post

I have my assessment in Bristol on the 5th April and I hope I can get in and make the May induction.
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Mon 27-Mar-17 11:06:35
Print Post

its only maybe 30 mis away from me. im trying to think of a way to take my own car yet not have to leave it there at end of the week. i maytake it up, drive back on thurs and get the train bk up there thurs night
Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Mon 27-Mar-17 12:35:47
Print Post

I have my assessment in Bristol on the 5th April and I hope I can get in and make the May induction.

I don't intend to sound negative but I wouldn't count on that, all of us on the April to may inductions had our assessments from July to November last year it seems it's quite a complicated process in terms of the number of people that apply and they have alot of arranging to do when they are booking start dates the pre employment checks are given to you at least 6 weeks before your start date so I wouldn't bank on it.

Edited by Kirky89 (Mon 27-Mar-17 13:18:22)

Standard User Hoss28
(member) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:56:34
Print Post

How long did you wait to get your contract etc through?Laura said going by start dates.
(regular) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:34:49
Print Post

Got mine last Thursday. Start June.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:51:58
Print Post

I start in 6 weeks time,So guess be here soon
Standard User ShavedApe
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 16:33:03
Print Post

Hi guys been lurking a little and reading all the posts here, I have my assessment day on Wednesday at Yarnfield and in the email it says there will be an English and Maths assessment, It has been some years since I have had to do any tests like that so I was wondering what kind of things it might ask. Do I need to brush up on things like long division and fractions etc or is it simpler than that?
I don't feel my English is terrible nor do I think my Maths is but as I say its been quite some time since I have had to call on the skills given to me at school well some of them at least.
Standard User Realist
(member) Mon 27-Mar-17 18:19:22
Print Post

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

Your not the only one M8

In reply to a post by ShavedApe:
Hi guys been lurking a little and reading all the posts here, I have my assessment day on Wednesday at Yarnfield and in the email it says there will be an English and Maths assessment, It has been some years since I have had to do any tests like that so I was wondering what kind of things it might ask. Do I need to brush up on things like long division and fractions etc or is it simpler than that?
I don't feel my English is terrible nor do I think my Maths is but as I say its been quite some time since I have had to call on the skills given to me at school well some of them at least.
(member) Mon 27-Mar-17 18:40:22
Print Post

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

They have changed the whole recruitment process you are the first to go through it all.
We had normal application process, then telephone interview (now replaced with video interview).
If successful we were then invited to an Assessment day which consisted of 2 interviews 1 standard interview, 1 which was Health and Safety and Customer focussed where they asked what you would do if confronted by an irate customer, if you were to run a drop wire across a town road what might you look for, and if you were to fit a phone socket and wire from one corner of the room to the other what would you do?
This was followed up by the famous wiring of a 13 Amp plug.
Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Mon 27-Mar-17 18:41:50
Print Post

Anyone know whether you get a confirmation that all the checks have been done once they have received the disclosure Scotland certificates back? And if so, how long after?

They acknowledged receipt, and all they said was that I would hear a week before my start date to discuss training and transport, nothing about everything being completed and good to go. Just curious that's all.
Standard User MC31
(member) Mon 27-Mar-17 19:24:25
Print Post

[re: Antdawe] [link to this post]

1 Hr.

Standard User deejay126
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 19:39:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by davek19:
5 random general interview questions from what I remember of it

Can you remember off the top of your head what sort of questions cropped up in the video interview so I can gain an idea what to expect?

Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by deejay126 (Mon 27-Mar-17 19:39:50)

Standard User Dylan79
(learned) Mon 27-Mar-17 19:58:23
Print Post

[re: deejay126] [link to this post]

Check out glassdoor (google openreach interviews) they have a lot which will be asked examoles which may be asked in interview. Many things will be around health and safety and doing risk assessments prior to commencing any work. Also a bit on customer service, going the extra mile and what not. Have examples of these and you'll do fine.
Standard User deejay126
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 21:53:23
Print Post

Thanks Dylan!

Does anyone else have any inside knowledge regarding the online video interview?
(member) Tue 28-Mar-17 09:11:00
Print Post

I had conformation about a week after that everything was done and to wait a week before the start date.
I had to drop them an email just said I wanted to double check everything had been complete and I had nothing left to do she replied and said all checks had been done and they had everything they needed.
Standard User hendaz1984
(learned) Tue 28-Mar-17 15:52:58
Print Post

Hi Hoss, I'm on 8th of May
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 28-Mar-17 16:19:08
Print Post

Nice one pal!
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 28-Mar-17 16:42:11
Print Post

Does anyone know if pay 4 weekly or monthly?

Also does anyone know much about BTEC qualification?What it all involves?
(regular) Tue 28-Mar-17 16:44:04
Print Post

Get paid last working day of the month
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 28-Mar-17 16:52:33
Print Post

Cheers
Standard User jordanglb
(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 17:25:04
Print Post

So. What are the newbies collecting then each month?. Just so us potential starters can start to budget. Ill be honest its a big drop for me but im looking at the big picture. Who knows where you may be in five years if you get your head down, apply yourself and work hard.
Standard User MAT723
(learned) Tue 28-Mar-17 18:44:04
Print Post

At 20k pa i guess it to be around £1350 a month after stoppages
Standard User Dylan79
(learned) Tue 28-Mar-17 18:50:39
Print Post

I think you new guys are on £20k for the first year and then after that £23+ the year after and 10% bonus. This should include the payrise which is being agreed.

So for now you'll take home around £1400 after tax. Then you'll have you pension contribution if you opt in so about £1300 per month.

I would say the first year will be hard as many will realise that this job is not for them. Those that stick at it will get just under £26k in the second year as salary including the 10% bonus. Although saying that sticking at it and meeting production targets is another thing. If you can't manage your tours you'll be asked to leave after a certain period. Also If you live in London you can either add another £1600 or £3300 depending on whether you work in inner or outer London. Max potential including inner London weighting just over £29k
Standard User Realist
(member) Tue 28-Mar-17 19:04:49
Print Post

Problem I have I took home just under 30k from my current job this year but I rather take a 10k drop and be happy.
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Tue 28-Mar-17 19:07:14
Print Post

plus student loan repayments and the £100 a month its gonna cost me for a van parking space, im not too happy at the extended trainee time.
Standard User jordanglb
(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 19:15:00
Print Post

thanks for the info dylan, interesting stuff.
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 20:06:16
Print Post

I chatted to an Openreach Engineer on the street last Saturday. He showed me the six or so ctrieria he was being measured against on his smart phone.

How difficult/easy is it to hit and maintain the targets?
Standard User Dylan79
(learned) Tue 28-Mar-17 20:15:59
Print Post

Mate, not to knock the company but if you are taking a 10k cut to work for Openreach I would reconsider. Its not for everyone and you'll soon find that out. The retention rate says it all.Everything you are shown in training is in prime example. The poles, cabs and exchanges are nothing like that in reality. Trust me this job is stressful as you have to hit production targets. Its not always greener on the other side and I'd have a long think about it before making a decision.
Standard User Dippa
(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 21:45:01
Print Post

I did my video interview last week, 20th March and not heard anything yet. I don't feel I did too well with it if I'm honest.

Any ideas when I might hear back ?
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 28-Mar-17 21:45:06
Print Post

When giving names of references is it your last two employers?
(regular) Tue 28-Mar-17 21:47:49
Print Post

Just cover last 3 years
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 28-Mar-17 22:07:11
Print Post

Ok cheers
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Tue 28-Mar-17 22:13:53
Print Post

Just watch as they quickly contact them, contacted my line manager a week before I was handing in my notice. Am now on 4 weeks gardening leave.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 28-Mar-17 22:33:45
Print Post

I'm currently in a part time job and have already told them!lol
Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Tue 28-Mar-17 22:52:00
Print Post

Same thing happened to me, was put on a weeks gardening leave. Am now temping to see me through to my start date.
Standard User Realist
(member) Tue 28-Mar-17 22:53:06
Print Post

M8 I work for Sky and if you think Openreach are any worse trust me they aint and I'm looking at a total career change.

I'm under a lot more pressure with my current job than Openreach will ever put me under.

In reply to a post by Dylan79:
Mate, not to knock the company but if you are taking a 10k cut to work for Openreach I would reconsider. Its not for everyone and you'll soon find that out. The retention rate says it all.Everything you are shown in training is in prime example. The poles, cabs and exchanges are nothing like that in reality. Trust me this job is stressful as you have to hit production targets. Its not always greener on the other side and I'd have a long think about it before making a decision.
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Wed 29-Mar-17 08:18:18
Print Post

Fortunately my gardening leave is paid. Bizarre as known about this for ages and not let standards fall or anything like it. Oh well there loss.
(regular) Wed 29-Mar-17 08:48:30
Print Post

Unusual unless you work for a competitor?
Standard User Jayd118
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 08:56:17
Print Post

Hi all I completed the online video interview last week ( 1 week today) just wondering how long until you find out if successful or not?
Standard User Dixi2u
(learned) Wed 29-Mar-17 09:28:07
Print Post

No. Leaving an oil and gas service company, so no similarities there.
Standard User Dippa
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 11:03:20
Print Post

[re: Jayd118] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jayd118:
Hi all I completed the online video interview last week ( 1 week today) just wondering how long until you find out if successful or not?

I've been waiting a week also. How did you find it, you think you did ok ?
Standard User Jayd118
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 11:52:34
Print Post

Not too bad just found it a bit strange talking to the laptop rather than facing an actual person yourself?
I would imagine we shouldn't be waiting to much longer to find out one way or another
Standard User davek19
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 12:43:16
Print Post

I'm in the same boat as guys, did my video interview last. Didn't think I did too great. Was a strange experience. Hopefully we'll find out one way or the other soon. All the best
Standard User Dslammer
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 15:14:50
Print Post

Anyone know how soon you get the free broadband?
Standard User mxrndl
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 15:49:02
Print Post

Im currently going through this application process. Im just wondering, will I be knocked back for this position if I have a criminal record? There is no mention of it in any of the application forms or on the website before applying. I am just about to submit my video interview, but dont want to then go through the whole process only to be told at the end I cant get the job because of something on my record.
(regular) Wed 29-Mar-17 15:52:44
Print Post

[re: mxrndl] [link to this post]

I think it depends what it is
Standard User mxrndl
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 15:55:28
Print Post

Very small drug charge from 7 years ago. Never had any trouble since.
Standard User mxrndl
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 16:27:09
Print Post

Can you remember what questions you were asked?

Im preparing for, "What do you know about openreach?", and, "Why would you like to work for openreach". Any info would be great for preparing properly.
Standard User Johnsmic
(learned) Wed 29-Mar-17 16:42:35
Print Post

Onwards and upwards pal!
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Mar-17 16:56:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
No idea, I got a new one when I started, R reg it was
...at which end of the plate? wink

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to