General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pdadpaul
(newbie) Wed 15-Mar-17 13:42:09
Print Post

speed test

[link to this post]

A speed test with Thinkbroadband indicates approx. 16Mgb, a speed test on BT ( I have BT infinity1) tells me I get 55Mgb to my router, but doesn't give a reading to my computer (wireless), why the massive difference?. How do you lose 39Mgb in a distance of 4 meters through a internal wall.?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Mar-17 13:50:02
Print Post

Re: speed test

[re: pdadpaul] [link to this post]

That sounds impossible.

If you are using ethernet for BT why not use it also for the thinkbroadband test? If you are using wifi for the BT test then near-identical loss should occur.

Bear in mind that wifi speeds can vary dramatically within seconds, and if something on the computer you are using is doing anything at the same time as your wireless test, or any other device is using the internet at all - wired or wireless, the results of that test are junk.

Edit! I missed that you are on Infinity 1. It is impossible to get a speed test result of 55Mbps on that, as it is the maximum connection speed. From that there is the IP Profile and other overheads to take off. Your maximum speed test result is going to be under 53.3Mbps.

Further edit: I just realised you are possibly talking about the 55/10 product, not your connection or speed test result from BT.

First, wireless speed tests are always suspect. Wired are far more reliable. Second, try this test and click the Further diagnostics button at the bottom if the initial results page. Then copy and paste the full contents of the two text boxes. We don't need to see the graphics or other stuff.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 15-Mar-17 14:03:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Mar-17 13:51:14
Print Post

By the way

You mean Mbps I hope. There is no such thing as Mgb.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Mar-17 15:21:47
Print Post

Forget exact page, but the Home Hub status pages do (in advanced settings) if I recall give you the actual connection speed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Mar-17 17:26:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

On most of the Hubs, if not all, I believe it's in Help >> Troubleshooting somewhere.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Mar-17 22:58:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
On most of the Hubs, if not all, I believe it's in Help >> Troubleshooting somewhere.

I think the Smart Hub is Advanced settings -> Technical log

Though I might be wrong due to I am connected via PPP over WAN

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to