General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | [18] | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User harryvw
(newbie) Wed 12-Apr-17 19:09:23
Print Post

Re: Openreach Recruitment/Apprenticeships Part 7

[re: davek19] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ShavedApe:
In reply to a post by harryvw:
I had my assessment day in Sevenoaks on 21st March for a trainee engineer role and found out last Friday I had been successful! I was told that the next start date would be 7th August and I would receive my contract in June some time... cant wait to start!

Congrats man and good luck.

Cheers!

In reply to a post by davek19:
That's a long summer for you then! Can you recall if the interview was a general interview or more technically focused?

Tell me about it... just want my contract already! It wasn't technical at all, very much a general interview which questions like "name a time when you proud of something you achieved" they're very much focused on finding out your suitability for the job
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Wed 12-Apr-17 21:40:21
Print Post

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, much appreciated
Standard User ShavedApe
(learned) Thu 13-Apr-17 00:04:58
Print Post

[re: Johnsmic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Johnsmic:
Thanks for the info, much appreciated

No problem,

I had a PM from eckiedoo about the driving assessment that comes at the end of week 1, He noted an earlier reply that I was once a Driving Instructor and asked if I might share some advice on how to prepare for it.

Ive done the type of assessment that we will go through, that is to say I have been the assessor so I guess I can point you in the right direction but really its nothing to worry about.

First thing to remember is dont drive like an idiot keep yourself aware of your surroundings.

Proper use of mirrors is a must and that means before every action, going to change direction eg. moving out for a parked car check your mirrors, moving back to normal position check your mirrors usually the one in the direction you'll be moving but I would hope you can guess that.

Slowing down check your mirrors both of them, moving off at the lights check your mirrors, turning left check your mirrors you get the point and to be fair you should really be doing this when driving anyway.

Moving away from the kerb check over your shoulder and back (out of the window) for BOB, better known your blind spot or BOY ON a BIKE, and yes I know they have blind spot mirrors but even they have a blind spot. The same goes for exiting the vehicle check over your shoulder out the window not just the mirror.

When doing any maneuver you should be using your mirrors effectively looking around as much as possible giving way to any traffic that is coming, remember you do not have right of way just because you have your reverse lights on. So if a car comes you need to stop and let them pass. If they flash carry on but be aware they may change their mind if you take to long and be sure the flash was for you.
A maneuver should be done in good time with good all round observations.

As for practicing if you dont have a van the best you can do is go in your car and be aware of speed limits and such, street lights = 30 mph unless otherwise sign posted.
People speed all the time but claim they don't break the law because 35 in a 30 thats ok right? everyone does that (I don't). Start if you don't already considering checking your speed every 30 seconds or so chances are you drive based on feel without even knowing it so drifting over the speed limit will happen its your job to make sure it doesnt. Combine mirror checks with it so basically every 30 seconds at least eyes to mirrors, speedo and back to the road.

Mirror set up fairly straight forward you need to be able to see some of the van but not so much thats all you can see way too many times ive seen people set up the mirrors and all they can see is the side of the van and a tiny bit of the road. It should realistically be the other way around.
Easiest way to set it up is use about the width of two fingers in the part of the mirror closest to you that all you should see of the van and the rest should be road and sky.

I know ive said it already but most importantly dont drive like an idiot. Imagine a cup of hot coffee on the dash in front of the instructor/assessor spill it on him and forget driving your van home that weekend wink Go for smooth actions smooth gear changes, smooth braking and need I say it again good observation. The more you are aware of whats happening the more informed and better you can deal with it.

Ok now I know that was a lot of info but really if you drive carefully and calmly you'll have nothing to worry about.

One last thing advice I've heard people say so much "adjust your mirrors so the instructor/examiner can see your looking" NO NO NO and NO trust me he can see your looking well if he's any good at his job he can.
Don't over emphasize anything you still need to concentrate on driving after all.

Edited by ShavedApe (Thu 13-Apr-17 00:17:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Hoss28
(member) Thu 13-Apr-17 10:18:31
Print Post

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

Are you allowed to park your van at home every night?or is this up to your individual manager?
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Thu 13-Apr-17 10:30:35
Print Post

[re: Hoss28] [link to this post]

i think you have to park your van at home
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Thu 13-Apr-17 10:31:15
Print Post

[re: mckeo5514] [link to this post]

got my email sying checks done with my uin number
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Thu 13-Apr-17 11:01:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by mckeo5514:
i think you have to park your van at home

They'll tell you that initially because they'd rather you do that but no, you can park your van at the closest exchange and many do. Most park in the exchange in my area. Newer lads park at home because they think they have to.

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
I would also be wary of carrying non-BT workers in the allocated van; and it may be worth enquiring about BT Contractor staff, such as Kelly.

I feel like I need to clarify this again after this post, I hope you all read this.

You cannot use your BT van AT ALL for personal use. It has a tracker on and they actively monitor this, people get sacked regularly across the country for this. They just assume the trackers aren't being monitored. They are. They have spreadsheets that get automatically generated showing when vans are used when the person is signed off from work.

In addition, you absolutely cannot let a non-BT person sit in your van, that's also a sackable offence and I know people that have been sacked for exactly that. He was dropping off children on his way into work (he was a home parker). Got sacked instantly, union said he didn't have a leg to stand on. This includes BT contractors. You must treat contractors as general public in every respect.

Be under no illusions about this, both rules are actively policed and result in instant dismissal. You use your van for getting to and from your first and last job and to get between jobs. That's it, no exceptions. The rules about what you do on your lunch break seem to be more flexible though as long as you don't take the mick.

Edited by Icaras (Thu 13-Apr-17 11:11:58)

Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Thu 13-Apr-17 13:04:21
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Theyre gonna have fun with my van then as my carpark is underground so the tracking signal will disapear every day
Standard User Bjt1992
(learned) Thu 13-Apr-17 21:10:02
Print Post

Just been catching up on things and it's a Shame there's been no update from the guys who started last Monday. I'm sure they're just ridiculously busy though so looking forward to an update soon !!

Be good to know how the first few weeks pan out etc and what vans they're handing out.

Got my contract last week but yet to receive a link to complete any tasks. I don't start till July 3rd though so I'm assuming there's nothing to worry about for now. Gutted as would have had my notice in this week but had to move my start date from the 8th May because I stupidly agreed to book a holiday with the Mrs 2 days before the offer email came through frown
On that note just a word of warning for those who have applied or applying don't book any holidays until you hear the final outcome. Obviously they will honour them but you can't miss the first 8 weeks of training so you risk having to start later like myself. Only applied in January 2016 and waited this long so another 2 months onto the already long wait isn't going to do any harm aha
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Apr-17 04:06:47
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

To enlarge on your comment on "dropping off children".

As well as BT's general rules, I suspect that the corporate vehicle insurance does not cover such as aspects, so it would be Null and Void if the van is used that way.

Leading to all sorts of complications etc.
Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | [18] | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to