General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User phil_w73
(regular) Mon 03-Apr-17 11:05:18
Print Post

Move master socket -trying to explain to BT what I want!

[link to this post]

Hi all - I'm trying to book BT to move / insert a new master socket close to the incoming wire in the garage and the other two in the house become extensions.

I've done a diagram if that helps (link below) - but BT aren't understanding, and seem to be making it more complicated than it needs to be. I currently have a master socket in the kitchen on the side of the wall to the incoming point in the garage from the underground duct. I have the A and B terminals connected to incoming CAT5 wiring to the socket in the living room which has been the location of my VDSL router.

I'm thinking a new master socket can be placed in spitting distance to the incoming cable in the garage and the cable that comes into the house to the CURRENT master socket could be used to make the kitchen socket an extension for the landline phone.

I'm guessing the terminal AB arrangement to the living room socket would not be possible so I would lose that ability - but that would be fine if the router was operational from the garage as I have CAT5 for the rest of the network around the back of the house.

So I need to describe to BT whether that is a Master Socket Move or an extension fit as they can't decide so won't book an engineer currently.

Any insights appreciated!

Diagram
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Apr-17 11:10:32
Print Post

Re: Move master socket -trying to explain to BT what I want!

[re: phil_w73] [link to this post]

Maybe you are offering 'too much detail' to the bod you are speaking to. Just ring and book a 'shift of NTE' from whomever you pay your line rental to. Then discuss what you wish for when the Openreach engineer arrives.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Apr-17 11:34:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

From the diagram looks like a fairly simple shift of NTE, suspect as Zarjaz is saying the description is confusing people.

None of what you are telling the provider would make it down to the chain to the person who is doing the work other than a 'Internal NTE Shift' job note.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Apr-17 11:37:28
Print Post

I think what you have been hoping is that you can get away with paying only for a new extension. You can't.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User phil_w73
(regular) Mon 03-Apr-17 15:42:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No - absolutely willing to pay for whatever I need - just need to know what I'm asking for smile
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 03-Apr-17 15:54:42
Print Post

Tell them that you want:

1. NTE shift

2. Data Extension installed

The second, you could do yourself as all it requires is a twisted pair in either CW1308 (phone cable) of Cat 5e. So, you could just ask for the NTE shift and then either DIY or ask the BT tech to use the current cable to install an RJ45 socket which you could provide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Apr-17 17:14:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by phil_w73:
No - absolutely willing to pay for whatever I need - just need to know what I'm asking for smile
Really basic job, if BT is your service provider just call 0800 800150

Reason for call - customer options
Keep saying customer options

You'll eventually get to the team who deal with this.

Simply say you want the master socket relocating.

Usual cost is around £120+VAT. It's worth considering running a data extension kit yourself.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Apr-17 17:24:57
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

He doesn't want a data extension. He wants the master at the entry point.

From there to run a CAT5 himself certainly makes sense.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63790/13596Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to