General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User falko89
(member) Tue 04-Apr-17 10:40:55
Print Post

Broadband dropping out?

[link to this post]

Need some advice here guys. This has been on going since late last year until it's at the point now where it happens 10 times per day. What happens is you are connected and then it just stops working and locks up. It's still connected but nothing loads on wifi or Ethernet. The only solution is to reboot the router then it's fine.

I thought it was the bt hub at fault so went on Sunday and bought a tp link router and it's still happening. Add to that I now have a download speed of 2mb when it should be 7. My ip profile is 7.15mb

Bt want to send an engineer out but it's random when this happens and probably won't when he is there so I would be charged. I have 4 telephone sockets at home happens on each one. Now 2 routers and switched filters. Any ideas?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Apr-17 10:57:40
Print Post

Re: Broadband dropping out?

[re: falko89] [link to this post]

>I have 4 telephone sockets at home happens on each one. Now 2 routers and switched filters. Any ideas?

Yes, the fact you have four phone sockets may be the issue.

Best to grab a set of the connection speed, attenuation and SNR figures from modem at its usual place and then another set when using the test socket (e.g. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/faq/faceplates/... ) then advice can be given once people see the difference or not between the sets of figures.

Edited by MrSaffron (Tue 04-Apr-17 12:15:28)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(committed) Tue 04-Apr-17 11:43:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Link should be this: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/faq/faceplates/...

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Tue 04-Apr-17 11:44:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Apr-17 11:46:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by falko89:
Bt want to send an engineer out but it's random when this happens and probably won't when he is there so I would be charged. I have 4 telephone sockets at home happens on each one. Now 2 routers and switched filters. Any ideas?

You should of reported it as an intermittent fault.

Also with BT if you haven't had one before, but you can ask BT for a Boost Engineer visit, also ask if you will be charged for this visit, I was sent one free of charge, so you might be lucky.

What the Boost Engineer does is do loads of checks on you line including to see if your internal wiring is at fault.
Once that check is done with they will try and get the most out of your line also while keeping it stable.

They also replace the NTE5A Master Socket if required and that includes the xDSL Filter Faceplate.

Also when you say "I have 4 telephone sockets at home happens on each one." are you saying your modem / router is working for a while then locks up on all 4 phone sockets?
If so you need to have a NTE5A xDSL Filter faceplate fitted, assuming you have a NTE5A Master Socket installed.

You are allowed to fit that.

Basically modem / router should never work on a phone extension, if it does its not done right or you don't have a filter faceplate fitted to your master socket.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User falko89
(member) Tue 04-Apr-17 13:11:47
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yes locks up on each phone socket. They are not extension cables but proper wall sockets. The guy from bt said he would reset some snr last night but still no improvement today
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Apr-17 13:15:08
Print Post

Wall sockets are still extensions, since there should be one master socket, and the other three as extensions

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User falko89
(member) Tue 04-Apr-17 13:22:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Right ok. Tonight I will connect to the master socket and see what happens
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Apr-17 13:28:18
Print Post

And note just the master socket, but the test socket, you should also verify that none of the other sockets are working when the test socket is being 'tested' - if they are then it highlights that star wiring is likely leading to increased noise pickup causing the drop outs and the telephone wiring needs re arranging

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Apr-17 16:03:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by falko89:
Right ok. Tonight I will connect to the master socket and see what happens

Like what Andrew has said, you need to test it using the test socket on the master socket.

So assuming you have a NTE5A Master Socket fitted, you will have to carefully remove the phone faceplate by removing the two screws and carefully pulling forward the faceplate so it looks like the Master Socket Backplate in my image.

Once that has been done check all phone extensions with a phone to see if its dead or not.

All extensions should be dead at this point, if they are still working then its wired up as a start wiring like Andrew has said, which is wrong and needs to be resolved, sadly this will need to be done by a BTOR Engineer due to you are not allowed to touch anything behind the Master Socket backplate.

Assuming all extensions are dead, plug in the modem / router via a micro filter (dangly filter which comes with most modem / routers) into the test socket and let it boot and connect up.

What are the stats this time?

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest
Standard User falko89
(member) Tue 04-Apr-17 19:53:36
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Right guys I am on the test socket. None of the other telephone sockets now work so I assume it is wired correctly.

I have not had a drop out yet and have been running in that socket all evening however my speed is all over the place, 30 mins ago I was getting 0.89mb now I am getting 6.97mb, my profile is 7.15mb so it should be nearer 6mb
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to