General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Apr-17 18:40:56
Print Post

New master socket ... with wiring outside?

[link to this post]

I'm due to have a new line installed, I'd like the master socket next to some plugs slightly above the skirting board - nothing unusual. However I don't want any internal wiring running down/along the inside walls from the junction box in the loft that connects to the drop wire. The room in question borders the driveway and I was thinking along the lines of simply running the new line down the exterior wall, then a simple hole through exterior wall, master socket in new room on other side of wall ... no internal wires visible(position would be almost at back of house and not visible/noticeable under normal circumstances).

So will the engineer do this or insist any extension has to be done internally, running from the loft?

tongue
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Apr-17 18:44:12
Print Post

Re: New master socket ... with wiring outside?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

I always prefer running externally to internally if at all practicable.

Does the dropwire come to the eaves above the wall you wish it come through ? That way the joint in the loft ca be bypassed.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Apr-17 18:58:57
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes, the drop wire is on the same eaves as the exterior wall of the room, basic diagram here.

Last time I had an engineer install a new line it was for ISDN and he spent a whole day trying to produce neat internal wiring covering 4-5 metres - this seems simple by comparison.

Edited by Spud2003 (Tue 04-Apr-17 19:09:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 19:08:52
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Yep, that'll be a doddle, Cut at eaves, fit a sausage closure and run the lead in to where required, through the wall and into the back of the NTE.

Sorted.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Apr-17 19:54:37
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yep, the engineer did it no trouble - though he hadn't been properly informed by his system what type of job he had been assigned, so he was slightly confused when I initially asked him to do it. smile
  Print Thread

Jump to