General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Heatherbee213
(newbie) Thu 06-Apr-17 08:47:31
Print Post

Why can't I import my contacts from Orange to Gmail?

[link to this post]

I'm having to move to a new account as Orange email is being withdrawn. I have tried to import my contacts from Orange to Gmail but get a message saying it's been unsuccessful. There isn't a huge number of contacts, so is there anything I can do to sort this?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 08:52:54
Print Post

Re: Why can't I import my contacts from Orange to Gmail?

[re: Heatherbee213] [link to this post]

What email client do you use? If you use something like Outlook or Thunderbird then you may be able to add both accounts and then copy contacts between the 2 (haven't tried it but could be worth a look).

If there aren't that many though it may just be quicker and easier to manually recreate them.
(newbie) Thu 06-Apr-17 09:48:36
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I use MS Office Outlook but at the moment I can't access it. I tried to add Gmail to my account and something's gone wrong. The system was aiming to get Gmail's settings and I got a small window with IMAP: Gmail and asked for my sign on details which I gave. That didn't work but since then Outlook won't load. Every time I try to load it I get that blessed window., I've tried editing sign on details for my Orange account to no avail. Google sent me a security email saying they were blocking attempts by an app to log into my account. Since it would be quite extraordinary if anyone guessed my password I assumed it was those attempts by the system to get Gmail settings. I turned the app refusal off and tried again but still no good. I'm left wondering if my only option is to reinstall Outlook, or even all of Office!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 10:11:29
Print Post

GMail's IMAP implementation has never worked for me. I've had no problems getting clients (including Outlook and several Android apps) to talk to my own mail server using IMAP but not GMail. You could try POP3 since I did get that to work once. Unfortunately POP3 doesn't give you the immediacy that IMAP does and also requires you to manage message storage on each client you use. If you access your mailbox from different places (eg; desktop, laptop, phone) then POP3 can be a pain.

You could try this article but I make no promises.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Apr-17 10:40:30
Print Post

Ideally enable two factor authentication on your Google account and create an application password. You may need enable access for less secure apps, especially if you don't have two factor authentication enabled.

If you can't sort it out, reviewing your Google sign-in and security options might help.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Apr-17 11:21:15
Print Post

Worth a read? smile

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Email/How-to-export-co...

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/bro...

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/bro...

plusnet user
(newbie) Thu 06-Apr-17 13:12:43
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Sadly, nothing has worked!
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Apr-17 13:20:58
Print Post

Hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard when starting Outlook, which will allow you to start up Outlook in safe mode. Hopefully that will allow you to get access to the mail accounts.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Apr-17 07:59:58
Print Post

What domain is your Orange email addy on (the bit after your name)?

You can only transfer your contacts from Orange to GMail by getting Orange Webmail to generate a .CSV file & importing that file into GMail Contacts.

However with FSMail.net there is no "Export Contacts", which all the rest have. In this case, have a look at this handy guide on How to create/edit .CSV files on the Microsoft support pages to see how you can manually construct a .CSV file that can be imported into your GMail contacts.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(newbie) Wed 19-Apr-17 13:51:18
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Wanadoo will export contacts but I already have a csv file exported from Outlook but Gmail won't accept it! Anyway, I've given up on that now. But thanks.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to