General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 15:52:02
Print Post

My Fault- Update

[link to this post]

Some of you may have read in another thread that I am only sync'ing at 45 and I put my number in BT Retail site and they guarantee me a minimum of 60.

I also would like my underground feed (Single pair DW3, 30 metres) replaced with a current spec twisted pair.

Openreach has been today and found that I am losing 13mbps on this underground feed as he tested sync at the jointing post and it was 53mbps, 40mbps at the test socket in my house.

He is coming back tomorrow with his mate and some cable and they are going to try to replace it but while testing in an underground box a few feet away from my property and sync here was 67mbps. This means also some street underground wiring will need to be replaced.

He also mentioned he doesn't know if this will cost me anything and needs to speak to his manager, anyone in Openreach confirm that everything after the master socket is at Openreach cost?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14910...

Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(committed) Thu 06-Apr-17 15:55:58
Print Post

Re: My Fault- Update

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
everything after the master socket is at Openreach cost?

Yes.

Sync: 40225/7660 Kbps.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Thu 06-Apr-17 15:57:05)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:00:11
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Ta because when he was talking about cost I wasn't sure but he needed to talk to his manager.

Tim

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:06:24
Print Post

That sounds a bit odd. When we've had external faults fixed here, we've never been charged, whether it was a line pair swap or replacement of cable.

Edited by WilliamGrimsley (Thu 06-Apr-17 16:07:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:12:00
Print Post

They will need approval, since there is a cost involved to Openreach, and they are allowed to deem it not worthwhile and refuse to do the work, or give you the option to contribute.

The ISP guarantee is usually not a we will spend a fortune to get you to the minimum but rather a you can walk from the contract if we cannot after reasonable effect meet that figure

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:15:31
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

There is a difference between a fault as measured by the standards Openreach works to and what you and others may consider a fault.

A lot can hinge on how busy a particular area is e.g. if they could be out fixed distinctly worse faults elsewhere or installing new kit that will get priority usually, but if otherwise they'd be sat waiting for work they may do the work, i.e. a big proportion of the cost is the labour.

Only voicing a note of caution, because people may get the impression that Openreach fix everything the customer calls a fault at the drop of a hat, when the massed observation of social media hints at a much more diverse picture.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:27:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well he said he will have to come back tomorrow but he didn't know what time as he would have to go to Gateshead to pick up the cable which is quite a way and also he would be bringing an underground engineer who has more experience. He left saying he would give me a call. I probably will have to pay for a master socket and extension wiring but anything else we will see, hope not.

There maybe a cheaper way to get the fault corrected and that is to order a 2nd line on a one month contract. Not sure how that would work out but in order to supply the 2nd line the pairs would need replacing as they are single.

Tim

(committed) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:34:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That makes sense, especially if the issue is beyond the scope of Openreach's budget in that particular area.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:54:51
Print Post

It shouldn't cost, it is before the NTE.

So it WAS the DW3 causing grief ...... I'm so good at this I found your fault without visiting site grin

Maybe I should consider doing it for a living ?? shocked

Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 06-Apr-17 16:57:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Underground Dropwire?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to