General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 12-Apr-17 22:21:56
Print Post

Re: My Fault- Update

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

It won't be planning permission that Openreach need to excavate in the public highway. Pending where the works need to take place, if Openreach are excavating part of the footway/chamber on the highway then this will require noticing/permitting with the Highway Authority.

Statuary undertakers (utilities) have to Notice or Permit their civil works on the public highway which can be anything from within 2 hours of attending site (emergency/urgent works only), minimum of 3 working days prior (minor works), 5 working days prior (standard works) or 12 weeks (major works).

**Edit**
As already mentioned in another reply, keep an eye on Roadworks.org as a notice/permit will popup after it's been processed by the local highway authority. You will see a telephone symbol within a triangle indicating telecoms works laugh.

Edited by Yaz (Wed 12-Apr-17 22:24:03)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Apr-17 01:10:28
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

Yes and that local highway authority is the council in that area.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 13-Apr-17 21:06:52
Print Post

And it still won't be Planning permission.

The New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) covers utility works.

Permission to work in the highway is either by Noticing or Permitting, most works of which are covered by the minimum of 2hr after, 3 days before or 5 days before time periods. Only major works (i.e. full road closures or works taking over 10+ days on the highway) would require the minimum 12 weeks notice (and even then the Highway Authority can be contacted to agree early starts).

Edited by Yaz (Thu 13-Apr-17 21:10:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Apr-17 23:16:06
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yaz:
And it still won't be Planning permission.

The New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) covers utility works.

Permission to work in the highway is either by Noticing or Permitting, most works of which are covered by the minimum of 2hr after, 3 days before or 5 days before time periods. Only major works (i.e. full road closures or works taking over 10+ days on the highway) would require the minimum 12 weeks notice (and even then the Highway Authority can be contacted to agree early starts).

What about if you live in a conservation area?
I know where we are any bit of work like digging up our garden path, installing new windows, a new roof etc. requires planning permission.

I am not arguing, I am only going by what my road and side roads are like.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 14-Apr-17 12:31:58
Print Post

In short it's still the NRSWA that covers utilities working in the public highway (and the Electronic Communications Code for telecoms providers).
NRSWA - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/22/contents
Electronic Communications Code - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-interne...

Works in a conservation area are subject to further scrutiny when it comes to such phases as agreeing Permit conditions (especially for planned works) and the reinstatement of the works. Any special materials used in the make up of the highway will need to be replaced with like for like material (paving stones, brick sets etc..). It's similar to you applying for planning permission and a condition of permission being you have to used X or Y materials in any construction.

Utility work can require further permissions from other organisations pending where they are carried out. Railways, monuments, structures (bridges, culverts etc.) SSSI, National Cycle routes, PRoW etc. will often mean meetings between the interested parties take place to agree permissions, conditions of works etc. prior to the Notice/Permit being processed by the Highway Authority.

Edited by Yaz (Fri 14-Apr-17 12:49:46)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Apr-17 20:38:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

What's a BT66, my wall has a chalk mark with an X and BT66. Some sort of junction box?

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Apr-17 22:12:45
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
What's a BT66, my wall has a chalk mark with an X and BT66. Some sort of junction box?

Looks like you are going to have a nice external junction box - sometimes they are the favourite hiding place for spiders. I had to tease a very large spider out of my external one the other day because his web-like nest may have been causing a short over the screw terminals!

Best of luck with the rewiring job - CW1308 cable from the external junction box to the back of the NTE5 plus the other work planed (?) should solve your VDSL issues.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Apr-17 22:33:39
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Cheers still waiting for notification of duct work, nothing happening over Easter.

Tim
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Apr-17 23:06:35
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Old phone lines are a pain - I've just had to force ADSL2 on my former ADSL2+ connection (37dB ADSL2+ attenuation) since I was getting high downstream error rates. ADSL2 seems to be far more stable at the moment. May have to contact Matt at xilo about it after Easter. VDSL is available from my cabinet but I don't really have any confidence in the integrity of the D-Side underground cable at the moment.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Apr-17 23:36:10
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

That is exactly my problem and OR have promised to replace with twisted pair as its under the drive. When they tested at the boundary connection post the sync was 53 and at my house 40. Its DW6 according to the engineer but it seems there is a lot of loss on that cable. It wasn't to bad on ADSL2+ was getting about 16 but VDSL is a different beast altogether using a lot higher frequencies and suffers from noise a lot more. The drive also has the mains for the house under it.

Tim
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to