General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Heatherbee213
(newbie) Fri 07-Apr-17 16:43:20
Print Post

Gmail in Outlook client app

[link to this post]

I have used all the correct settings for a Gmail account in my Outlook app, kindly given by them. but at the 'test' point the In Progress shows forever with no Progress. Having been advised that I should Allow less secure apps access to my Gmail, I have made the change but the situation remains the same. It seems there is no telephone Gmail help and I can't navigate my way to any useful help online. There doesn't even seem to be Chat help!
Can anyone advise please.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Apr-17 16:58:45
Print Post

Re: Gmail in Outlook client app

[re: Heatherbee213] [link to this post]

As suggested in private before going further you need to make sure the computer is malware free after the close call with fake support numbers.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/ is a good choice to help check a PC.

Back onto the GMail and Outlook, you need to tell us what version of Outlook you are using, since there are many and finding a guide that most closely matches your version would obviously be good.

Google does not do consumer support over the phone (at least nothing official I've ever encountered)

The final question is what are you wanting to do that the GMail web client will not do?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Heatherbee213
(newbie) Fri 07-Apr-17 18:17:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for your advice. I do have Malwarebytes installed - used it for a number of years - I'll run a scan in case but it usually stops anything bad in it's tracks.
Outlook 13 is what I use and I have carefully followed Gmail configurations as well as the advice given by Orange. I've checked all the settings against what they should be. I'm still getting the little Gmail popup - it appeared when I changed the Gmail password in my account and then when the test connection ran. It doesn't do anything except disappear when I close it.
I was aiming to import my Orange Contacts to Gmail but for the moment I've resorted to a 2 pronged attack: sent out a few BCC emails asking folk to reply so I can add them; and setting up an away Message in Orange as suggested by EE.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Fri 07-Apr-17 21:01:58
Print Post

incoming mail server=imap.gmail.com
outgoing mail server=smtp.gmail.com
username='the bit before the @gmail.com of your gmail address'
password=your gmail password

Under 'more settings' and advanced:-
incoming server port 993 and SSL
outgoing is port 587 and TLS

That should be enough to get any recent outlook client working with gmail - been using it for years on many Outlook versions, currently have latest version of outlook.

Edited by Rolandrat (Fri 07-Apr-17 21:37:44)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Apr-17 21:10:17
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rolandrat:
outgoing mail server=smpt.gmail.com

It's smtp.gmail.com .

Oliver.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Fri 07-Apr-17 21:36:33
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
outgoing mail server=smpt.gmail.com

It's smtp.gmail.com .

Thanks, typo corrected in original reply.
Standard User 10forcash
(regular) Fri 07-Apr-17 23:31:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

"malware free" - never going to happen if Google is your email / DNS / analytics / search provider.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Apr-17 00:20:59
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

username='the bit before the @gmail.com of your gmail address'
I have IMAP working in Outlook 2016 with @gmail.com as a suffix. Google's documentation says "Your full email address", so it's probably best to include the @gmail.com suffix.

I agree with the rest of what you posted now that you've corrected the typo. With Gmail you can check "Require login using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" in Outlok. If you have two factor authentication enabled, you must generate an app specific password as explained in the Google help pages.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Apr-17 09:33:44
Print Post

[re: 10forcash] [link to this post]

Are you implying that using any of those services will see malware installed onto your computer?

Analysis of data in the cloud for advertising type purposes is very different to the problems of malware

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mikejp
(member) Sat 08-Apr-17 09:45:03
Print Post

it appeared when I changed the Gmail password in my accoun

Just a thought - I have struggled here andthere with Google/passwords (and won). Can you access your gmail account on the web?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to