General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Sat 15-Apr-17 23:49:44
Print Post

FTTP availability question.

[link to this post]

Hi folks.

Just had a look at the checker and now says i can order FTTP on demand. Is that something i can order through an ISP as i've had no luck finding any that offer it.

Checker below.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2zyaam0.jpg

Thank you in advance.
Regards
Michael.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Apr-17 07:54:00
Print Post

Re: FTTP availability question.

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Are you familiar with what "FTTP on Demand" actually means?

If not, it's BT installing fibre specifically for you, and so costs 1000s with high monthly rental contracts. The cost is dependant on the distance from your home to the existing fibre network.

It's really only an option for businesses.

If you knew this and still want it, someone will be along later with ISPs who support it.

Kris

Sky Fibre
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Apr-17 09:30:35
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Yes, you can order the Fibre On Demand 330/30 mbps product through fluidone.com. Not cheap, £300 per month in service charges on a 3 year min term plus £1000s in setup/construction costs.

I guess this greatly interests you due to the < 5 mbps vdsl2/adsl2+ speeds you're currently getting (according to your estimated speeds). One option might be to club together with 5-6 of your neighbours and order the FTTPoD service to share the bandwidth & costs, getting around 50 mbps per home, which obviously would be a significant step up.

You may also want to look at getting a new FTTC cabinet installed nearer to you, probably self funding with your neighbours if Openreach don't have any plans:
http://www.communityfibre.bt.com/

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20..(soon to be FluidOne FTTP 330/30)
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 16-Apr-17 09:35:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woodmass14
(member) Sun 16-Apr-17 12:39:03
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

Hi Kris. Thanks for the response.

I was aware it would cost money just not that much smile It's a shame to hear that honestly, been stuck with these speeds for far to long. Almost shed a tear when i seen 330 pop up, joking aside, thank you for letting me know!

The more you know eh

Michael.
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Sun 16-Apr-17 12:47:01
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Hi baby_frogmella. Thanks for the response.

It does greatly interest me those speeds smile Though the price does not, it could be an investment if we were to sell the house but i can't imagine it would bring the value of our home up that much, giving the cost of install and monthly payments.

1 neighbour unfortunately, doesn't even own a landline. Don't think he'd be interested in splitting the cost. Thanks for the tip though.

Now to wait silently for LR-VDSL (i hope)

Thanks
Michael.
  Print Thread

Jump to