General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Apr-17 19:22:56
Print Post

Re: VM Launches New Ultra fast Broadband

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
Leased lines are also widely available and in some cases, cheaper than FoD. I don't think it can be used as a comparison product in cases like this.

GEA-FTTP is fine as it's increasingly available and Openreach are specifically targeting business areas with deployment.

I presume that at some point that will be the case though for now with the pretty pedestrian pace of the Openreach deployment, alongside that still the majority of it is residential, courtesy of the taxpayer, it'll be a little while before GEA-FTTP and cable are comparable.

I suspect that a wholesale rethink of all of this stuff is due soon. 'Fibre optic' on hybrid products can't have too much more life left given the Ofcom target of ~40% FTTP by 2025. VM will have 7-8% done by 2019, and Lightning up to 2019 is just the first phase in the expansion. VM have very deep pockets thanks to their mothership's willingness to accept a long period before ROI.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Apr-17 20:41:52
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
The key point still stands - the ASA aren't going to consider FoD in competition with free install, £66 a month broadband.

One thing ASA ought to learn from the recent brouhaha is that their decisions need to stand the test of time. What isn't very available right now will, in the course of time, change completely. What is expensive now will become cheaper sooner or later.

They need to make a decision that stands on its own two feet both today and in 5, 10 years time.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Sat 22-Apr-17 21:18:51
Print Post

With FTTP, we should see a 50/50 split with residential and SME by 2020. This was in the BT presentation here http://btplc.com/Sharesandperformance/Quarterlyresul...

I think the biggest issue with BT rolling out residential FTTP (to brownfield sites) is the lack of demand for higher speed variants. If most people take 40/10 and 80/20 (or none at all), the ROI for other areas will surely be below their thresholds. It makes more sense for SME as there is likely to be demand for ultrafast broadband and I suspect most business would order faster packages than residential.

If BT hit the 2 million FTTP by 2020, then they should have around 7% of the UK covered. In terms of residential, the new additions will be mostly MDU and greenfield sites which will leave unanswered questions about deployment beyond this.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Apr-17 22:30:22
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
The key point still stands - the ASA aren't going to consider FoD in competition with free install, £66 a month broadband.

One thing ASA ought to learn from the recent brouhaha is that their decisions need to stand the test of time. What isn't very available right now will, in the course of time, change completely. What is expensive now will become cheaper sooner or later.

They need to make a decision that stands on its own two feet both today and in 5, 10 years time.

As I said in my other post a wholesale change of heart on the part of the ASA is needed to reflect the changing environment.

I'm not convinced FoD should be a part of that, it's basically a cynical, clever and despicably pragmatic ploy on the part of BT to get customers to pay for extending its plant, when it doesn't want to make the investment without subsidy, one that I can't find any replication of elsewhere, however there are a bunch of things that need considering.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Apr-17 22:53:13
Print Post

Then we have VM who refuse to connect properties within 3m of their existing network, this in central London. At least BT attempts to provide a service to those wanting it unlike VM who choose to look the other way and provide no explanation as to why.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Apr-17 08:23:57
Print Post

I'm not convinced FoD should be a part of that, it's basically a cynical, clever and despicably pragmatic ploy on the part of BT to get customers to pay for extending its plant, when it doesn't want to make the investment without subsidy, one that I can't find any replication of elsewhere, however there are a bunch of things that need considering.

Sam thing happens with some of the other utilities - if a new house is built that wants connection then the builder pays for it. A colleague bought an old house and wanted to get gas connected to it and I believe the quote was around £40K.
Standard User leexgx
(committed) Mon 08-May-17 10:39:17
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Have a read of the press release and laugh! https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/news-and-event...

350Mbps as standard more than four times faster than the equivalent speeds offered by its rivals.

>>>> equivalent speeds offered by its rivals <<<< which is Openreach network (SKY BT talktalk so on) FTTP is not available normally unless you live in very specific areas (tends to be flats)

cant you just dig up the ground yourself up to your house so they can lay the cable and thin pipe, they will install it (unless your drive is like half a mile long or somthing)

or you can get the same cable and do it yourself so the cable is at your drive end so they come and connect it up

Standard User sergiup
(newbie) Mon 08-May-17 11:07:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That press release is a mess...
"will be eligable" - indeed, eligable; and the link at the end doesn't actually work (wrong TLD). It all inspires so much confidence!
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-May-17 12:32:25
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
Then we have VM who refuse to connect properties within 3m of their existing network, this in central London. At least BT attempts to provide a service to those wanting it unlike VM who choose to look the other way and provide no explanation as to why.

VM aren't under a USO. They can refuse to connect up a property next door to their Hook HQ if they choose and are under no obligation to provide any explanation why.

They reckon they'll be delivering to millions of new properties in the next years so presumably they are attempting to provide a service to some.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-May-17 15:56:33
Print Post

USO or not VM clearly don't give damn but instead prefer to post ridiculous adverts promoting their lack of service. A service that for many is far worse than any of their competitors. VM customers deserve better and VM needs to respond to and fix their customers' problems by provisioning their service appropriately.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to