General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hvis42
(learned) Tue 25-Apr-17 10:04:47
Print Post

Ofcom data - where do they get it?

[link to this post]

What might be the source of Ofcom data? I just saw the updated Ofcom statistics for my post code, and I know for sure they are horribly wrong. They claim 99% have access to "NGA" (VDSL2/FTTH/cable/whatever), but I know for sure this is wrong. There is currently no Hyperoptic or Virgin presence in the postcode area and one of the checker sites (kitz?, don't remember) that shows percentages of lines within the area connected to different cabinets or exchanges, shows FTTC availability at 12% or so.

Just curious, as the "official" numbers seem to paint much better a picture of the situation. If this is the case in my area, the same probably applies elsewhere.

H
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Apr-17 10:19:59
Print Post

Re: Ofcom data - where do they get it?

[re: hvis42] [link to this post]

Firstly do I have it right?
https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/postcode-search

Ofcom for coverage relies on data provided by providers, but I know not to rely on it, as when have looked at the ultrafast set they include many postcodes where GEA-FTTP is just planned or I cannot figure out what the 300 Mbps option actually is

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Tue 25-Apr-17 10:39:14
Print Post

I'm not sure how good the data is either. I live in an area that is served by an old 20CN exchange (so 8Mbps MAX) however, when I put my postcode in it comes up as:

Connection Speed
In the postcode ___ in the summer of 2016

Download
Minimum 1.7 Mbps
Median 7.4 Mbps
Mean 7.2 Mbps
Maximum 13.9 Mbps
Upload
Minimum 0.4 Mbps
Median 0.4 Mbps
Mean 0.6 Mbps
Maximum 1.1 Mbps

Those max figured just aren't possible (unless someone has a leased line or something (or maybe line bonding?))

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Apr-17 10:42:22
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

It does look like they are getting figures from an ADSL2+ connection in there (looking at the upload). I initially thought it may have had some 4G figures but the upload is just too close to the max of a standard ADSL2+ connection. What exchange is it?

EDIT : Another post you talk about Benington. And if that is the case then you do appear to be correct that ADSL2+ is not available from BT Wholesale.

EDIT2 : There is a way they could get that... They might be line bonding multiple ADSL lines.

Edited by ian72 (Tue 25-Apr-17 10:47:31)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Tue 25-Apr-17 11:13:56
Print Post

From the FAQ:

This checker uses broadband availability and predicted speeds data provided by the UK's major Internet Service Providers in June 2016.

Standard Broadband speed predictions refer to the highest predicted speed of any major ISPs for packages up to 30 Mbit/s. Superfast Broadband speed predictions refer to the highest predicted speed of any major ISPs for packages between 30 and 300 Mbit/s. Ultrafast Broadband speed predictions refer to the highest predicted speed of any major ISPs for packages over 300 Mbit/s. The checker should not be regarded as providing a definitive view and we plan to update the data later in the year.
Standard User gerarda
(member) Tue 25-Apr-17 11:46:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

From the results I have seen it looks like either the providers are being optimistic or Ofcom is continuing to spin the figures to exaggerate its performance.

Our village varied between a notspot and maybe, if lucky, a 1mpbs service prior to the arrival of FTTC and Ofcom shows it as 1mbps for the notspots and 8-12mbps for the up to 1mbps. 12mbps 8 kms from the exchange would be some achievement.

Mobile coverage data is also hugely optimistic as well as being spun in the reports on the basis of outdoor coverage.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Apr-17 12:19:06
Print Post

[re: gerarda] [link to this post]

And more importantly in my eyes, is thinkbroadband info ok for those postcodes...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gerarda
(member) Tue 25-Apr-17 12:56:01
Print Post

The broadband maps show the speed tests done since FTTC was installed (October to December) and the local broadband stats show superfast is available, but some of the postcodes have had no tests done since then so the stats for these are showing extremely low speeds and pulling down the 250m radius average too,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Apr-17 13:24:51
Print Post

[re: gerarda] [link to this post]

And predictions of availability by me is ok?

Standard User gerarda
(member) Tue 25-Apr-17 14:12:14
Print Post

Yes they all look right.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to