General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dewt
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 16:42:20
Print Post

Can someone explain why my neighbours line is 3 x faster?

[link to this post]

I live in a row of terraced cottages over 2 miles from the exchange. On one side my neighbour gets 7Mb, on the other side they get 9Mb while I get 2Mb. According to various ISPs (Plusnet, Sky and Vodafone) and Openreach the maximum speed for my line is 2Mb due to the distance from the exchange. I have a problem believing that for the following reasons:
1. There is a single surface laid cable running from the cabinet to a telegraph pole at the end of the cottages.
2. From the pole individual drop cables supply each cottage.
3. Both my immediate neighbours are on standard broadband as am I.
4. The difference in distance between my master socket and each of my neighbours is approx 20ft.

The above points show (to me at least) that there is no appreciable difference in the distance to the exchange for me and my neighbours (with one of them actually being 20ft further). That negates the reason supplied by all the ISPs and Openreach.

Openreach agreed in early October last year that there was a fault on the line and that a section of cable needed to be replaced which they completed earlier this week. My speed dropped from 2.3Mb to 2Mb.

I really want to know why this is happening and who knows, I might even be willing to accept it but just getting told that's just the way it is doesn't cut it for me.

Dave The Frustrated
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 17:55:02
Print Post

Re: Can someone explain why my neighbours line is 3 x faster

[re: dewt] [link to this post]

Maybe you are the one on the one bad line in the bundle, which does happen.

Another more common reason is impact of telephone wiring in your home.

What are the connection speed, attenuation and noise margin figures for both downstream and upstream from your connection?

Compare those to what the neighbours have too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dewt
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 18:07:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

How do I get those figures?
As for the wiring in my house, the cable comes in through the wall into the master socket (recently replaced with a MasterSocket 5C) and the router & phone are plugged into that. No extensions of any kind in the house.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 19:11:21
Print Post

Log into the router you have and you should find the figures under something like ADSL status.

If you name make and model of router someone might be able to say specifically where the page is

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-May-17 19:13:22
Print Post

I looked at the TBB Map at speedtests and saw my neighbour a street away is getting 66 max compared to my max 64. Can you delete his tests laugh

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 68696/18766
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-May-17 19:16:57
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

No

Standard User troublegum
(member) Thu 04-May-17 23:00:46
Print Post

Don't forget the part of the line before the cabinet (the E side)

Some cabinets can be fed by 3 or 4 E side cables, and these cables generally aren't of identical makeup.

Your line could be on an E side cable which consists of aluminium and/or 0.4mm copper whilst the neighbours could be on E side cable which is 0.5mm or 0.63mm copper for its entire length.

Edited by troublegum (Thu 04-May-17 23:01:36)

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Fri 05-May-17 07:59:39
Print Post

Put your postcode in here https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/postcode-search

May show speedtest and ofcom data; spot on when I enter my postcode.

Ian
Standard User dewt
(newbie) Fri 05-May-17 09:38:14
Print Post

Finally found those figures smile

Downstream
Connection Speed 2082 Kbps
Attenuation 38.5dB
Noise Margin 19dB

Upstream
Connection Speed 724 Kbps
Attenuation 17.8dB
Noise Margin 11.3dB

I'm waiting on the neighbours getting back from work to see what their figures are.

I've had various explanations for the difference between me and my neighbours from the Openreach engineers that have visited including electric fences in the area causing interference (we all use the same multi pair cable) and the latest was that I'm on a fibre circuit up to the cabinet but am too far from it for this to work. On a whim I called BT yesterday to talk about switching and they offered me exactly the same setup that Openreach said was the cause of the problem and said I would have a guaranteed min speed of 3Mb. They also claimed that they got 'special treatment' from Openreach on faults saying they can have an engineer out the next day while the other ISPs will have to wait a few days.
Standard User dewt
(newbie) Fri 05-May-17 09:53:49
Print Post

I'd just like to say thanks to those who have been offering advice - if I could I'd buy you a beer smile

Also, since joining Vodafone in late September 2016 they have been working to try and find out why this is happening. They gave me a minimum guaranteed speed of 4.13Mb when I signed up and have said all along that I can leave at any time with no penalty but that they are willing to continue trying to get this sorted.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to