General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Dave143
(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 19:50:24
Print Post

Fibre optic broadband

[link to this post]

Not long ago we had a debt releif order put in place to clear our debts so we could get credit, quite recently Virgin installed fibre optic broadband, we only had standard broadband with BT we decided that this would be a good upgrade for us, so my girlfriend rung up Virgin, she then failed the credit check, when i got back i tried but again i failed the credit check, we then offered to pay an upfront payment thinking that would no credit check because there would not be a bill, but again they said that a credit check still needed to be carried out, BT have no plans to put fibre optic broadband in our area because Virgin already have thier lines in place, i feel that we are being pushed over a barrel with sub-standard broadband, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-May-17 20:01:46
Print Post

Re: Fibre optic broadband

[re: Dave143] [link to this post]

Will they let you sign up on the 30 day contract option?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Dave143
(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 20:39:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We'll try this, but we are not holding our breath.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-May-17 22:10:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Dave143:
Not long ago we had a debt releif order put in place to clear our debts so we could get credit
That's not the way a debt relief order works. A debt relief order impairs your credit history for 6 years - the same as most bankruptcies. This means that you will have little to no creditworthiness until the sixth anniversary of the DRO being granted. Your creditworthiness until the DRO is discharged - usually on the first anniversary - is effectively nil.

Even if you are prepared to pay upfront and are not taking a telephone service, there is still the risk that you won't pay for the entire minimum contract period - typically 12 months. Unless you can pay for the entire minimum contract period in advance, which is unlikely considering the DRO, you might have to wait until you are no longer on the Individual Insolvency Register at a minimum (usually you come off the Register three months after the date of discharge).

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-May-17 09:53:26
Print Post

Not long ago we had a debt releif order put in place to clear our debts so we could get credit,

I think you misunderstand what a Debt relief order does.... It only removes the need to pay a previous debt back.
It does NOT mean you will get credit going forward.

Anything that requires a credit check will flag your DRO for 6 years. And will have a big impact on getting credit anywhere. Of course companies can make their own judgment call.

Personally, I don't get why Virgin run a credit check. But that is their choice. Maybe it has something to do with the amount they might have to spend connecting everything up.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-May-17 11:38:58
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnR:
Personally, I don't get why Virgin run a credit check. But that is their choice. Maybe it has something to do with the amount they might have to spend connecting everything up.
What's not to understand? If you needed someone to pay 12 (or 18) months of regular payments to you wouldn't you want to know their credit rating?

I would. Just because someone happens to be able to pay £100 tomorrow is no guarantee that will be able to be pay you £20 a month for the next year or year and a half.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-May-17 11:40:59
Print Post

We'll try this, but we are not holding our breath.
Given your history are you really sure it's a good idea? Is there anything that your current connection really can't do? I hate to sound like your nanny but wanting to upgrade to something better just because you can is often how debt problems start.

Living within your means may be a safer option even though it might mean accepting a lower standard of living.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-May-17 12:18:20
Print Post

What speed does your broadband connect at? (Not what speed test results you get, but give us one of those as well). You should be able to find it on the router screens.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 07-May-17 12:18:56)

Print Thread

Jump to