General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User edwinbradford
(regular) Sun 07-May-17 17:56:37
Print Post

Is this the master socket

[link to this post]

I'm trying to work out whether I have a master socket or not. I don't think I do but hopefully someone can confirm for me. I have two phone sockets, both identical in appearance front and rear.

This is what the front looks like:

Front view

And this is what the reverse looks like:

Rear view

I assume that's not a master socket? Assuming it's not then can I replace it with a chrome face plate that is a master socket? For example this one on Amazon says it is a master socket https://goo.gl/iSvFce

Is it relatively easy to wire? I don't want to book a third appointment and a third day off work for Openreach. Plus Openreach will just install a bog standard white box master socket which the landlord probably won't permit anyway.

Seems like the natural solution is to do it myself if it's possible.

Advice appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 07-May-17 18:11:53
Print Post

Re: Is this the master socket

[re: edwinbradford] [link to this post]

Not a master socket, but what are you hoping to achieve?

The one you linked to may just be the same as what you have now, a master socket has support for extensions built into it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Sun 07-May-17 18:21:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. I live in a studio flat with two sockets already so I don't need any extensions. My broadband keeps disconnecting. I had the same issue at my last apartment and following advice here I moved the router to the master socket and it fixed everything with a rock solid connection.

I'm expecting that if I replace the existing face plate shown in the photo with a master socket face plate (I think they have a capacitor?) I will get a better more stable connection and end the disconnects. Does that sound reasonable? They're only £6 so worth trying if I can wire it myself.

Thanks for the speedy response.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-May-17 18:23:14
Print Post

We need the rear view of both.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(regular) Sun 07-May-17 18:31:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Roberto. I believe they're identical. I checked for any wiring or component differences but they appear identical. If you still think it matters let me know and I'll take a photo but visually they appeared the same front and rear.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-May-17 18:50:44
Print Post

There has to be a master somewhere. Possibly in a meter cupboard or utility space. These types of socket look pretty but are a PITA for broadband.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 961a
(member) Sun 07-May-17 18:57:18
Print Post

Have you asked your neighbours what sort of connections they have?

Is there a communal system for all the flats in the building?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-May-17 18:58:06
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

I don't have the problem.

Standard User 961a
(member) Sun 07-May-17 19:02:42
Print Post

was aimed at op
(regular) Sun 07-May-17 19:53:18
Print Post

It's a former office block converted into separate residential apartments. There are about 20 apartments in the block and the distribution point for the building is on the ground floor in a utility room. There's something that looks exactly like a master socket in the foyer where the post boxes are located but there's no phone cable connected. I've had two Openreach engineers but neither of them batted an eyelid over the face plate. However my ISP saw my photos and wanted to arrange a third Openreach engineer to come out and replace the socket with a master socket as they don't believe I have one inside the apartment and believe it would likely resolve my disconnection issues.

Not really sure what else I can add. As I've mentioned above I'm holding off on the third Openreach appointment if possible.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to