General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Fri 12-May-17 12:48:44
Print Post

Info on Warrington - Winwick Park

[link to this post]

Hello

Hoping someone might have some info on this. I live on Winwick Park in Warrington (WA2), its got a bit of a weird setup even though its not a huge estate it has 4 separate phone cabs. When it was first built it trialled a new tech not using copper, but was converted to copper to make ADSL work.

3 of these cabs were upgraded to FTTC 18 months ago including mine cab 210. But one was deemed to small to be upgraded at the time.

Openreach have been busy on the estate recently and when quizzed by a neighbour they said they were putting FTTP into the entire estate and it should be ready in the next 4 weeks.

I noticed FTTP on demand has suddenly become available, will they mean this or could they mean the more available FTTP? Surely they wouldn't have both FTTP and FTTC available?

Edited by kingbiscit (Fri 12-May-17 14:37:34)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-May-17 13:53:17
Print Post

Re: Info on Warrington - Winwick Park

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

Mixed FTTP and FTTC does occur in a few places, with users able to order either. Odd though that is.

FTTP on Demand (FTTPoD) is not what they mean. At least not its current incarnation. That currently has a minimum installation cost of £1100 from Openreach, with the ISPs almost certainly charging is more, and similarly a line rental of £99 per month for a minimum period of three years. After which it drops to normal FTTP rental process.

That too increased by ISPs who of course have to provide and support the considerable backhaul capacity needed, and all the above plus Vat by the time it gets to us.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Fri 12-May-17 14:03:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying.

The resisdents on the final cab that hasn't been upgraded have been campaigning and Openreach have so far seem pretty reluctant to install an FTTC cab down to the low numbers. The local MP was recently in the press pushing for compensation (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/04/warrington-mp-demands-246k-compensation-slow-residential-broadband.html
).I do wonder if Openreach have decided FTTP for the estate is actually simpler.

It always seemed odd to me they didn't go FTTP route rather than having to install 4 FTTC cabs.

Edited by kingbiscit (Fri 12-May-17 14:04:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Fri 12-May-17 14:47:47
Print Post

Only those on 122 are planned to get FTTP
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Fri 12-May-17 14:53:47
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Interesting.

Whole setup has been madness, why wouldn't they have just done the whole estate like that?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-May-17 14:54:55
Print Post

Cost. You might think 3 cabinets would be expensive but compared to the potential of running new cable in to every home it is much cheaper in the majority of cases.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-May-17 14:55:39
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-g... and an example postcode WA2 8XL

And the FTTP part is hardly a secret since it says in the plans for FTTP

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Fri 12-May-17 14:57:05
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The estate has ducts all the way round it though, so no digging required. They have had to run fibre past pretty much every house for the 3 FTTC cabs.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-May-17 14:59:25
Print Post

And?

Its in the plan for FTTP on at least some locations...so is the complaint about the timescale for delivery of FTTP?

The fibre may pass homes, but for GPON you will build out from the aggregation node, ignoring the actual cabinets.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Fri 12-May-17 15:03:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm not complaining.

I just find it odd that a single modern estate with ducts , probably 150 or so houses have FTTC via 3 separate cabs, then 20-30 houses have FTTP.

Seems a real mess.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to