General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Fri 12-May-17 19:27:27
Print Post

Old speed test results

[link to this post]

I have just run a speed test, and wanted to compare to my previous runs (especially with my previous ISP) however I can't find the old ones? Can anybody point in the right direction? I used to see the full list of old ones after completing a speed test, but this isn't offered.

Many thanks

Now enjoying the speed of Fibre!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-May-17 19:32:02
Print Post

Re: Old speed test results

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/my-profile

Assuming you are logged in and scroll down the page.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Fri 12-May-17 19:34:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you so much!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NickyJ
(member) Fri 12-May-17 19:38:42
Print Post

Accessing my old tests confirms it - previously the TBB figure and HTTP were very similar (even with this ISP but in the earlier days) however this time they are significantly different.

Avg TBB - 36.6Mpbs vs Avg HTTP - 65.1Mpbs

Hmmm.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-May-17 07:16:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Another aspect, Andrew.

With the earlier version, generally my graphs shot almost straight up, then turned horizontal; with very rarely any kinks or variations.

With the new version, the initial TBB climb is something like the front of an A4 streamlined steam loco.

Throughout the new version plots, both on the initial climbs and the subsequent horizontals, they are riddled with minor peaks and troughs.

The summary averages have remained reasonably consistent.

------------------

To add to that, when I go to download the small graph image to my PC, I am "told" that I am viewing someone-else's results - although logged in etc.

I deliberately did the offered follow-up test, but again the "someone-else" message came up.

Edited by eckiedoo (Sat 13-May-17 07:31:27)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-May-17 09:02:56
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Another aspect, Andrew.

With the earlier version, generally my graphs shot almost straight up, then turned horizontal; with very rarely any kinks or variations.

With the new version, the initial TBB climb is something like the front of an A4 streamlined steam loco.

Throughout the new version plots, both on the initial climbs and the subsequent horizontals, they are riddled with minor peaks and troughs.

The summary averages have remained reasonably consistent.
See this post. Andrew has explained it several times, both during the development phase when people not logged in on the main site ran a test, or logged in people chose to run what was then the labs version.
To add to that, when I go to download the small graph image to my PC, I am "told" that I am viewing someone-else's results - although logged in etc.
If I understand what you are saying, because I don't recognise the word "download" in this context, clicking a speedtest result link in a post on these forums, including ones own, I think has always done that. You don't get transferred to the Main Site page where you are logged in, you just view a linked graph from a database and your status on the site is not checked.

In particular, your username on the Main Site and on the forums does not have to be the same. Mine isn't. How is either the forums or the main site to know to know that and know I am logged in on the other?

It is perfectly possible for a random person to sign up to either with someone else's nick from the other if that someone else is using the same setup as me. It doesn't cause any problems unless said random person then starts posting News Article Comments. The chances of that are remote unless someone does it deliberately to cause confusion, which I'm sure would get sorted out. (However, as a precaution, by the time you read this I shall have moved to prevent it smile). (Edit: It is no longer possible unless the second person knows the forum user's email contact address. Maybe this was always the case but I don't think so. I seem to remember the trick was once used).

The BQM is the same.
I deliberately did the offered follow-up test, but again the "someone-else" message came up.
Are you referring to some other post? What "offered follow-up test"?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 13-May-17 09:12:38)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-May-17 10:09:03
Print Post

Less artificial smoothing and single thread is http rather than a custom TCP protocol so not as smooth. Now I could flatten things with maths but that would also mask issues some people have. Once I've seen one of your tests I can see if things fall outside reasonable

On the speed test and 'viewing someone elses' are the tests available in the My Profile section, if so proves the account linking worked at least, what I need is a link to a test that has done what you say.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-May-17 10:11:29
Print Post

If the old figures were flash version then that was a custom TCP protocol and with newer test (which has been running 3 years) the single thread is just one http download rather than the 6 of the httpx6 version

This means there may be a difference for some people

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-May-17 14:20:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply, explanations and the link.

I have just re-run the test -
When it finishes and does the initial, larger graph display, clicking the Blue "Results Page" button at the bottom-left, to get access to the small version of the graph, to download that under right-click "Save Image -

Above that small graph the following appears -

"You are viewing one of your previous results. Run a new speedtest now"
(On earlier runs over the days of the new test, this has been that I was viewing someone-else's results)

suggesting that the small graph contents are from a distinctly earlier test run on this occasion, not the immediate last one.

But for example I can positively identify it as the immediate last test run as when it was running, the "meter needle" shot up to a very high reading, which on the larger graph is stated to be -

"6.8s 175.69 Mbps"

which even allowing for the lessened smoothing, seems extremely high on a 40/10 contract.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-May-17 15:05:23
Print Post

This was the test?
http://tbb.st/1494680101762718455

The spike does not happen all the time as you had a 'normal' one earlier http://tbb.st/1494655397347177855

Looking at your tests the system is seeing you as logged in, and do the tests appear on the speed test list under your My Profile page at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/my-profile

On the needle spiking, if the browser tells us that was the speed not much we can do, I could code something that looked at the theoretical speed for you and limit the figures displayed but that would be bad for many other reasons.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to