General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-May-17 09:08:13
Print Post

BB performance very poor in last few days

[link to this post]

Since sometime over the weekend my BB performance has become very variable. Previously I usually got reasonable response times to most web sites, speed tests typical show 8-9 Mbps D/L, 0.9 Mbps upload, enough for my needs. Now web site response is very laggy, especially noticeable on, for example, BBC Weather site. Also on https connections.

TBB Speed tests this week have shown D/L figures 25% or less of those (2 Mbps on a good day); U/L broadly ok. Just run the BTW speed test and it shows 1.12 Mbps D/L; 0.73 Mbps U/L; ping latency (ms) 0.00 (!?)

I've also tried things on my laptop, normally run on my desktop, and also my wife's iPad. All are giving much the same results, and also much the same web site lag.

Router stats are
CS (kbps) 8659 / 1127
LA (db) 42.0 / 24.5
NM (db) 8.9 / 5.7

The router told me there was new firmware so I've installed that , no difference.
I tried an old but faithful Netgear non-wireless router, no difference.
I've set the PC's network connection to use Google's DNS, no difference.
I've set the router to use Google's DNS servers, no difference.

Web transactions are very slow, for example to get to Paypal's payment page a few minutes ago took several minutes.

A download of a new version of Ccleaner last night stopped at around 0.9 Mbytes, and no more, even after 10 minutes.

I keep an eye on Win 10's Task Manager Ethernet monitor and frequently see download of 0 for 30 seconds or more even when waiting for a page or download.

Occasionally it's all fine for a few moments, but only for a few moments.

Both my desktop and laptop are running Win 10.
ISP is Eclipse.
Router is Netgear DGN2200v4 running V1.0.0.86_1.0.86 firmware.

I haven't yet spoken to my ISP as i'm really not sure what to tell them.

Any thoughts?

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-May-17 09:09:50
Print Post

Re: BB performance very poor in last few days

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Link to a speed test there may be some clues in the graphs, e.g. as well as lower figures the lines are more wobbly than usual

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-May-17 09:20:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks.

This is one I've just taken. Interesting,perhaps, that it spent 20 secs or so with the spinning disc before it even started, and Task Manager was showing zero download traffic for that period until it suddenly burst into life.

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-May-17 09:24:40
Print Post

Which ISP please, Tony?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-May-17 09:25:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Eclipse, as said in OP.

Tony
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-May-17 09:31:34
Print Post

D'oh! blush

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-May-17 09:31:43
Print Post

I should have mentioned that I took my laptop up to our club last night and it connected to the WiFi there. A tbb speed there test showed around 30 Mbps. So it's no a PC issue.

It's surely something to do with the router or outward of there.

Tony
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-May-17 10:01:18
Print Post

Look at latency figure 3000ms (3 seconds) that explains why you have the experience you describe.

The spinning disc at start is the establishing the base line idle latency, so the fact it took so long indicates not a maths error but really slow lookups.

All the latency checks are

In short very slow and then once something has woken up all is well. This need to wake up is not normal, it should not be DNS since you've accessed the domain already that the latency calls are made to

Given PC is fine elsewhere suggests router/ISP issue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-May-17 07:35:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I had a conversation with Eclipse Tech.Support last Wednesday and they made some Exchange changes. No difference. He asked me to try a different cable from router to wall socket and to use the test socket. No difference.

The performance is still poor, though the one speedtest result I posted that had a 3000ms latency seems to have been an outlier in its latency result. Others are showing latency in about the 20-50ms range.

I can't detect any line noise.

I've now raised another ticket so we'll see what happens over the coming days, after the Bank Holiday.

The router stats continue to give me figures that are historically normal and not ones that would give the poor performance that I'm currently getting. Even downloading PDF files from my church's website (that I manage) shows great performance variations and stalling.

It seems to point to external causes, we'll wait and see.

Tony

Edited by cheshire_man (Mon 29-May-17 09:30:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-May-17 09:19:29
Print Post

Note how those high latencies are at the start of the train, and this matches the description you give for pages loading

i.e. once the router/ISP wakes up things are ok

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to