General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 27-May-17 22:34:25
Print Post

BA IT system down. How? Why?

[link to this post]

It's fifteen years since I was seriously working in IT, but even then such a complete breakdown would have been almost inconceivable in a major network. Since when comms facilities, mass storage and processor power have all risen exponentially, with the size of the equipment falling dramatically.

BA are saying a major power failure has caused all passenger check-ins and baggage handling systems globally to crash. One!!?? "BA said a problem within the hub of their system, based near Heathrow, had led to a power outage".

Surely something that could affect BA worldwide should have at least two if not more mirrored systems/hubs geographically far apart? With dedicated links with minimal latency. It was possible in my day, so what and why and how can this have happened?

Is there anyone here dealing with large mission-critical systems able to suggest how BA have messed up so badly other than through penny-pinching and complete incompetence of their IT management?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63018/13016Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 27-May-17 22:35:25)

Standard User dewt
(learned) Sun 28-May-17 07:09:46
Print Post

Re: BA IT system down. How? Why?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Is there anyone here dealing with large mission-critical systems able to suggest how BA have messed up so badly other than through penny-pinching and complete incompetence of their IT management?

I think you pretty much nailed it there smile
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-May-17 09:02:17
Print Post

Don't blame the IT team....

I'm sure they just forgot their own advise and missed the 2nd bit of turning it back on laugh

Or on a more serious note. It ask for X Bean counters say No.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 961a
(member) Sun 28-May-17 10:31:17
Print Post

It seems to me that a bank holiday/half term weekend is just the time for mischief.

One week NHS, another British Airways

Poor security, bad software design all make it too easy

Major wake up call to industry generally
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 28-May-17 10:45:07
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 961a:
One week NHS, another British Airways
There are differences... the NHS (amongst others) was clearly the victim of an attack, there doesn't appear to be any evidence, or reason to assume, the same for BA.

There's an old saying- don't automatically assume conspiracy when simple incompetence provides an adequate explanation.
Major wake up call to industry generally
True, but to look at resilience as well as security.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-May-17 11:03:50
Print Post

Does every organisation fully understand the underlying assets that support their services? A common one is a switch going down taking a service offline, hard to mitigate against with zero downtime.

Also do you think every organisation has upto date patching for all software pieces and OS? There is a tonne of legacy out there often with denial of service vulnerabilities associated with it.
Standard User derekdel
(member) Sun 28-May-17 12:14:35
Print Post

Probably still running Windows Me....
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-May-17 13:34:58
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

It's a great OS, it doesn't get any of those annoying windows updates anymore. Perfect. wink
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Sun 28-May-17 15:33:18
Print Post

I remember reading somewhere that BA had laid off many experienced IT staff and outsourced some work to India in 2016.

That always goes well doesn't it.

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612, Billion 7800N; 79987/19999 Kbps. Online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 28-May-17 15:48:09
Print Post

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

Yes but.

2016 was too late as well. The infrastructure I believe was not fit for purpose long before that. It can't have been removed since that happened.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63018/13016Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to