General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Tue 30-May-17 21:49:16
Print Post

Internet problems...

[link to this post]

Hi folks.

Been with Uno Broadband (partial LLU via TalkTalk equipment) since 2012 and on the whole things have been fine.

Pretty predictable 11Mbps download sync (around 0.8 Mbps upwards), 6db downward noise margin and 38 db attenuation. So around 9/9.5 Mbps true download. Currently still looks this way.

My Broadband Speed Test

But recently, pages on the internet have started to take ages to load, like they're fighting their way through treacle. And sometimes they even time out and it can't seem to resolve their internet address at all. This applies to both a PC connected via Ethernet cable and a wireless connected laptop.

Checked Windows event viewer and there appeared to be the odd code 1014 DNS Client Events. So after speaking to tech support at Uno, I set the DNS servers to point to the Google ones. No joy. Still slow building pages on the internet, seems for some reason to be worse on the wireless connected laptop for some reason (don't know why!).

I've tried powering down the router and leaving it for 10 mins or so, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The router is a BiPAC 8800NL R2 that was bought to replace an aging TPlink one that seemed to have overheating issues. The Billion has been fine up to now, very stable.

There have though been a couple of times that I've run the BT speed test (mainly because it's a quick one to run) when things have been VERY slow and it "appears" to have shown a poor download speed (around 2 Mbps) and the upload has almost appeared to be none existent (< 0.04 Mbps!). But a couple of minutes later, if run again, speed test appears OK. Though Internet pages still loading slowly. Router stats at this point still appear fine though (IE. stable line and not too many real errors logged).

Bit stumped really.

Anyone got any ideas???

Likely to be the router? or problems at the exchange etc.?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Sorry it's a little rambling post, just trying to give as much info as possible.

PPS. Always have Router Stats lite running, so I can see that the connection appears fine and no line drops etc.

----
Mike
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-May-17 22:04:27
Print Post

Re: Internet problems...

[re: MrBeeline] [link to this post]

Best to link to the full image or results page as the graphs convey more information

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14961754436...

In your case a very good ADSL2+ connection, and latency is a little high but not unduly for your location. There was one high latency check of 300 ms during the idle part of the test (analysis button in test lets you see the samples)

As for DNS have you looked at how quick DNS lookups are from the command line? e.g. is it failing on the first server sometimes? Best to flush the DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns in windows command line) before trying this

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-May-17 22:13:14
Print Post

Have you checked your line quality meter in Uno Control Panel to see if there are any latency problems? Worth having a look to see if there is high latency.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 69892/17901

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Tue 30-May-17 22:27:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Best to link to the full image or results page as the graphs convey more information

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14961754436...

In your case a very good ADSL2+ connection, and latency is a little high but not unduly for your location. There was one high latency check of 300 ms during the idle part of the test (analysis button in test lets you see the samples)

As for DNS have you looked at how quick DNS lookups are from the command line? e.g. is it failing on the first server sometimes? Best to flush the DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns in windows command line) before trying this

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciated.

Question "As for DNS have you looked at how quick DNS lookups are from the command line?"
How do I do this?

Every click now taking a very noticeable time to resolve! Just like the good old "56k day"...

----
Mike
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-May-17 22:29:34
Print Post

Your line behaviour has changed (seems to have been in the last few days) - we're seeing periods of 400-500MB data being uploaded an hour, that would make web pages and various things struggle.

Do you have any backups running in the background maybe?

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Tue 30-May-17 22:37:14
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Have you checked your line quality meter in Uno Control Panel to see if there are any latency problems? Worth having a look to see if there is high latency.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Excuse my ignorance, but where is this? are you talking about the MY Xilo page? If so, can't seem to see anything like this.

----
Mike
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-May-17 22:44:44
Print Post

The upload activity UNO have highlighted would cause the problems you are seeing.

On how quick, its hit ENTER and see how long things take, should be pretty instant usually

Andrew

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-May-17 22:49:57
Print Post

My Xilo > Packages > My Broadband > Summary > Latency

For some reason it shows "fail" for me using a Billion 7800N - it might be OK for you though...
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Tue 30-May-17 22:52:46
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Your line behaviour has changed (seems to have been in the last few days) - we're seeing periods of 400-500MB data being uploaded an hour, that would make web pages and various things struggle.

Do you have any backups running in the background maybe?

Matt

Hi Matt

Sounds odd to me!
"Do you have any backups running in the background maybe"
I'm assuming you are referring to CLOUD type backups? If so, then no.

My main uses are basically a bit of browsing in the evening and watching the odd thing in the evening on Amazon Instant video (though I've had this since last December).

I'm currently looking at the Broadband Daily Usage for the current month on MY XILO and I can't see this!
There's 1.09GB showing for upload today... But I suspect that will be because of the speed tests I've been running off and on (I'm assuming this is why). All other days seem to show very small amounts of uploaded data (EG. 171.1MB for the 29th and 0MB for the 27/28th), Not sure quite what's going on here...

HELP.....

----
Mike
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Tue 30-May-17 22:58:36
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
My Xilo > Packages > My Broadband > Summary > Latency

For some reason it shows "fail" for me using a Billion 7800N - it might be OK for you though...

Thanks.

Latency not showing (IE. data field is empty).

Ping Test showing "failed"

----
Mike
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to