General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sandroalfagt
(newbie) Thu 08-Jun-17 20:34:52
Print Post

Speeds not as advised.

[link to this post]

First question to Forum so hope it is right place.
I have recently acquired FTTC at the higher rate of 55 to 78 Mpbs. When communicating with my provider I asked what the guaranteed download speed would be and was told "55 to 78". After several visits from Openreach due to slow and variable speeds my phone line was renewed. Engineer said that he was measuring 40Mbps and as I was about 700m from cabinet this was as good as it would get. Subsequent, frequent speed checks confirms this.
ISP has now contacted me to say that they are providing "50.3Mps down your line" which is above my "Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed of 47.2Mbps". They had never mentioned this speed before. BT Wholesale state that the Downstream Handback Threshold rate is 49Mbps. Checking the Router the maximum data rate is currently 50.165Mbps.
If I had known that I was only going to get 40Mpbs I would have signed up for the lower speed package which has a max speed of 38Mbps and cost less. I have a feeling that I am now stuck in this contract for 24 months even though my expectations from communicating with the ISP was for much faster speeds. If anyone has any advise I would be most grateful.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jun-17 08:00:33
Print Post

Re: Speeds not as advised.

[re: sandroalfagt] [link to this post]

When you signed up you should have been given a personalised estimate of line speed. It is that which is important rather than what the package says. I assume from the 55-78 that this is BT Infinity 2 - you could try and get BT to put you on the lower package.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 09-Jun-17 09:07:08
Print Post

If you drop to an up to 40m product you will drop your sync rate from 50 to 40 and lose 20% of your speed.

I think at 50mbit you are above the level at which they will let you move down to 40.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jun-17 09:32:41
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

If they are on BT then Infinity 1 is up to 55Mbps so wouldn't lose anything.
Standard User sandroalfagt
(newbie) Fri 09-Jun-17 10:03:39
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

ISP is Plusnet and the lower band with them is up to 38Mbps. When I went through their upgrade portal, unlimited fibre and unlimited fibre extra were showing the same speed range at 30-40Mbps but unlimited fibre extra was more expensive. I went on to their "chat" to sign up and queried this with their agent. He said that it must be a mistake,that I would get a guaranteed 55-73.5Mbs and on that basis I signed up. Fortunately I have kept screenshots of the conversation. If going to the lower rate will mean a 20% speed drop, I might just have to bite the bullet and stick with the contract I have. Bit uneasy with that as it seems I was misinformed during the sign-up process.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jun-17 10:09:37
Print Post

You would lose the speed down to the 40Mb limit. BT use a different product that is up to 55Mb but I am not aware of any other ISPs that currently use that.

If you want the extra 10Mb then stay where you are.

If you want the reduced price then it would seem the agent steered you wrong so provide PlusNet with the screenshots of the chat to show you were missold and insist they downgrade you and refund the difference.

You could try asking PlusNet for a discount based on the bad advice from the agent but I suspect the best they would offer is to downgrade you.

Other thing to consider - and this may be a bigger component - is that on the lower PlusNet package it is only 2Mb upstream, I suspect you currently get more like 10Mb so if upstream is at all important then it may be better anyway to stay on the higher package.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Jun-17 10:53:40
Print Post

This might be a case of misselling and an agent quoting an overall figure for the extra product, rather than your own specific estimate. A hint is saying guarantee and then giving a range, the guarantee figure should be a single figure and I don't like the use of the word guarantee as its a soft-one.

NOTE: A big difference in upload on the PlusNet ranges, since the cheaper service is capped at 1.9 Mbps upload, so may enter into the equation for some too.

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 09-Jun-17 15:43:57)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Jun-17 11:02:30
Print Post

Re: Speeds not as advised. *DELETED*

Post deleted by Apprentice
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Jun-17 11:42:36
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
When you signed up you should have been given a personalised estimate of line speed. It is that which is important rather than what the package says. I assume from the 55-78 that this is BT Infinity 2 - you could try and get BT to put you on the lower package.

It depends on who you talk to when you make the order.

When I ordered Infinity 4 end of last year there was no mention of the minimal speed at all and defiantly no mention of an up to speed, or what the speed will go down to in the evening.

A few times now I have lost up to 86% of my speed in the evening, its not too much of an issue.

So I am just saying not all sales team mention the speeds, maybe I was just a one off.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Jun-17 12:07:50
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The estimates given by BT are the sync estimate not the throughput. So, on Infinity 4 they are irrelevant as it will always sync at the same speed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to