General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ashtonroad
(newbie) Tue 20-Jun-17 20:02:24
Print Post

BT Infinity web site is misleading about fibre availability

[link to this post]

When I was looking at houses to move to I always checked the BT fibre pages to see what broadband speed was available. I choose a house and my main interests was type of house, location and then broadband speed. I was mislead by the web site which stated the post code and phone number would be cabpable of supporting a speed of around 65 mbps download. About two weeks before I moved I rang BT to tell them I was moving to this property and was told fibre was not an option but that was probably a fault of the web site and I could upgrade once I had moved. I phoned BT after seeing the deal where infinity 2 speeds were available for infinity 1 prices up until midnight. The guy at the other end couldn't upgrade me but told me it could probably fixed and would get back to me within 5 days. He got back to me saying fibre was not available and might be available one day, probably when someone signs off BT fibre - how likely is that?

I was very annoyed and threatened to cancel, quite right I had been misold something. They persuaded me to drop the complaint and continue with the contract if they gave that a discount on my monthly payments. A week or so later the discounted payment was available to any new customer.

I said at the time I would drop the complaint but would complain to the regulator if the website still said I could have infinity 2, still does say that to my annoyance.

Who should I report BT to as misleading potential buyers of inaccurate things on their website? They can't be bothered to fix the broadband or website!!!!
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Tue 20-Jun-17 20:18:59
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity web site is misleading about fibre availabil

[re: ashtonroad] [link to this post]

Complain to everyone. Lodge a formal complaint
with bt, copy it to gavin patterson and john petter, your local MP, Ofcom , the ASA and a few media outlets as well. That should cover most bases
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Jun-17 20:37:13
Print Post

"probably when someone signs off BT fibre - how likely is that?"

This phrase suggests the issue is a capacity one, i.e. no space for you at the cabinet currently for VDSL2, this will usually change in time, may be a few weeks or a few weeks, but is a dynamic situation so when you checked there may have been some capacity but has subsequently been sold before you placed your order.

The wholesale checker at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s... mentions capacity usually if that is the cause, otherwise tell us the exchange and cabinet and people can go and check.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ashtonroad
(newbie) Tue 20-Jun-17 21:00:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, have checked the bt website regulary every few days and it always says the same. I don't want to give my phone number but the exchange is Calder Valley and my post code is HX7 5PJ

Bt wholesale checker page confirms the speeds i get, copper speeds.

I wouldn't mind if i lived miles ffom the exchange but i live a maximum of 250 m from the exchange.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 20-Jun-17 21:09:00
Print Post

Problem is you're on a line straight from the exchange, no cabinet. This rules out fibre to the cabinet (FTTC)
Standard User ashtonroad
(newbie) Tue 20-Jun-17 21:12:10
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Theres a cabinet at the bottom of Brier Hey Lane.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 20-Jun-17 21:15:48
Print Post

So there is, and the Vicarage is connected to it. Are you? Does the DSLchecker give you a cabinet number? Try the address option http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres...
Standard User ashtonroad
(newbie) Tue 20-Jun-17 21:21:22
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Tried the link, put tge postal address in and it needs the phone number, tried the link and found its dead.

Incompetant bt yet again.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Jun-17 21:21:33
Print Post

Cabinet 15 is definitely accepting orders for fttc/vdsl2....

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/DcVo

Fluidone FTTP 330/30 Mbps

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Jun-17 21:23:36
Print Post

The link batboy gave is definitely valid. Just enter your postcode only, hit submit and then select your address from the drop down list, eg The Vicarage.

Fluidone FTTP 330/30 Mbps

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 20-Jun-17 21:27:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to