General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User falko89
(member) Sat 24-Jun-17 05:10:59
Print Post

What would cause my BB to just stop working?

[link to this post]

I've never had this issue before. My BT broadband just stopped yesterday and BT don't seem to have a clue why.

They can't find a line fault. I changed filters, went into the test socket even went to Argos last night and bought a router still won't work. Neighbors all working fine and no problem at the exchange. All I get is flashing yellow light like no Broadband service on the line. Telephone also working fine. All cables are also underground.

Openreach are due on Wednesday but it's a long wait without broadband. Any of you guys have any ideas?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Jun-17 07:16:18
Print Post

Re: What would cause my BB to just stop working?

[re: falko89] [link to this post]

Well the way I see it, if you have the Home Hub / Smart Hub etc connected to your line and turned on, BT would be able to see if there is a fault on your line due to they wouldn't be able to talk to the Hub.

Does your phone line work (assuming its the same line for the broadband) ?

You might of already tried all this, but just in case...

If your phone is working, when everything is connected up, try testing your phone in the test socket, by "CAREFULLY" removing the phone and xDSL Face plates.

If that works, unplug the phone and plug in the hub to that same test socket using a micro filter, does that work?

If your phone is working in the test socket and your broadband still won't work, try any other modem/router you have there and see if any of those work.

So if your phone is working and your broadband still fails to work, then its shouldn't be your wiring.

If you have FTTC maybe the link cable between the PCP and fibre cabinets have come out of broke, or maybe there was a fault some place and an engineer / sub contractor connected your line to somebody else's, have you tried to phone your land line to see if that rings?

If you are on ADSLx your line card in the exchange might be faulty, or by mistake re-allocated to somebody else.

I have as far as I can remember twice had our line here swapped with somebody else's line, BT kept insisting our line was fine until we discovered we had a different number, to which an engineer had to be sent out to resolve the issue.

Basically it could be anything causing this issue.

My guesses are if BT cannot find a fault, then it might be a switched line someplace, so like I said try phoning your landline from a mobile, or use your landline (if working) to phone your mobile, that way you would see if its your line or not.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User falko89
(member) Sat 24-Jun-17 07:23:37
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Hi, yes the phoneline works fine. BT have been phoning me back and forward last night and everything is fine.

I have it in test socket, phoneline still fine still no broadband. I went out last night and bought a TP link router it won't work either. It couldn't even go through the setup wizard as it couldn't auto detect any broadband present on the line. Its like my line has been wiped of broadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Jun-17 08:44:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by falko89:
Hi, yes the phoneline works fine. BT have been phoning me back and forward last night and everything is fine.

I have it in test socket, phoneline still fine still no broadband. I went out last night and bought a TP link router it won't work either. It couldn't even go through the setup wizard as it couldn't auto detect any broadband present on the line. Its like my line has been wiped of broadband.

Ah, ok, well that narrows it down some what.

So where BT have been phoning you, shows that your line hasn't been swapped with another.
It also shows that its reaching the exchange fine, I assume its ADSL that you have and not fibre?

If so then all I can see is that its a line card in the exchange might be at fault here, like I said maybe it was re-allocated by mistake or it has died.

I know when we went from Zen to BT we went from ADSL2+ down to ADSL Max, but BT told me it was due to the line card at the exchange that we was allocated was faulty, so they gave up a temporary port that was only ADSL Max.
And so that they could provide us broadband and then start to resolve the issue.

Now whether this was true or not I don't know, but we were moved over to ADSL2+ a few weeks later which matched the date they told me on the phone.

So your issue might be a line card / port at the exchange, which would require an engineer to go to the exchange to investigate further.

Paul

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Jun-17 09:20:20
Print Post

I doubt we will be able to help get you online before Wednesday. Do you pickup any neighbour BT WiFi hotspots you could use (assuming you haven't opted out)?
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Jun-17 09:27:28
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I doubt we will be able to help get you online before Wednesday. Do you pickup any neighbour BT WiFi hotspots you could use (assuming you haven't opted out)?

LOL, I forgot about BT FON / BT Wi-Fi, would be better than nothing, but what would that speed be?

I know BT say its a very small percentage of that connection, but what if that connection only gets 4 Mbps, BT FON would be that slow the webpage would probably time out LOL.

Paul

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Jun-17 09:38:40
Print Post

What sort of broadband do you have Falko ? Is it ADSL or FTTC ?

Can you describe what colour and pattern of lights you are seeing on the BT router please ? (You mentioned yellow flashing, but the BT routers don't show a yellow light)

Standard User falko89
(member) Sat 24-Jun-17 09:54:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

ADSL BT Hub 4. Well yellow/Orange. At the moment its solid with a little red B on the front of the hub
Standard User falko89
(member) Sat 24-Jun-17 09:55:08
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I can yes, thats what I'm doing now but for some reason its dog slow, less than 1mb I am guessing.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Jun-17 10:41:58
Print Post

Ah, OK ... so you are going to have to wait for your appointment with Openreach I reckon. That looks like an exchange fault to me, no PPP from the BT Wholesale equipment.

I hope your appointment is an SFI or Boost visit ..... the CP's have a habit of taking the 'cheapest' option from Openreach (a CDTA visit) then the engineer might not have the skilling to deal, or the authority to speak to the CP.

IF you wish to delve further, you might try changing the username within the router to bt_test_user@startup_domain no password required ...... if this authenticates (it won't get you web pages but will show as connected in the routers web interface) then the fault is at BT Retail's end of things, if it doesn't it's BT Wholesale and may require a lift and shift to fix.

Good luck.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to