General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ToKul
(newbie) Mon 26-Jun-17 20:58:10
Print Post

Too many IP's (?)

[link to this post]

Hi,

We have some internet problems in the office recently. And someone said that it's because there are too many IP's (we purchased and been using some new laptops). Is that possible anyway? And how we could fix it. We have no IT guy in the office and I am the one usually fixing all the technical problems. But just now I don't now what to do.
Could you help me please?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 26-Jun-17 21:35:02
Print Post

Re: Too many IP's (?)

[re: ToKul] [link to this post]

Sounds like probable garbage, but you might as well tell us you've had some trouble with your car recently and someone has told you it's because you've now got too many stickers on the back window.

Some information about the ISP, the product you have purchased from them, modem/router, connection speed and what kit is connected wired and wirelessly would be a start. Plus telling us what problems you are having.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Steveocee
(newbie) Tue 27-Jun-17 06:07:41
Print Post

You can never have too many IP's!

If you know your place have bought more IP's, who is administering them if you have nobody technical to do this? if you are a "normal" office then at a lengthy guess you'll be sat behind NAT anyway so the additional IPs shouldn't impact you.

Need a bit more info really.

PC Gamer, Airsofter, Networking nerd
Proud owner of a MikroTik MTCNA
Support engineer for a WISP
http://www.steveocee.co.uk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jun-17 08:13:36
Print Post

[re: Steveocee] [link to this post]

The time where issues can arise with "too many IPs" (well, actually too many devices) is on wireless access points. A lot of WAPs have a limit to the number of devices that can be connected at any one time - 64 is not uncommon but depending on the quality and capability of kit it may be lower or higher.

The other possible meaning could be that there are more devices than available IPs in the subnet. But the default on most devices is 254 IPs available and the result of running out would be additional devices not being able to connect at all (and of course if there is a high turnover of devices such as on a public network then long lease times could result in IPs being reserved even when no device is actually using them).

Edited by ian72 (Tue 27-Jun-17 08:14:13)

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jun-17 10:08:46
Print Post

If you could describe the actual problems you're experiencing, it might be possible to work out what's actually going on and suggest how to fix it.

A brief description of your setup would help - router, access points, number of devices connecting, etc.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
  Print Thread

Jump to