General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pooser
(newbie) Fri 30-Jun-17 17:50:09
Print Post

New to Fibre

[link to this post]

I am at the moment with Aquiss broadband on standard broadband. I would like to move over to their VDSL2 service but am not sure what equipment I will need to purchase to enable this. I have been looking at a Billion 8800NL R2 Wireless VDSL/ADSL2+ Modem Router but am not sure if this is all I need to buy. Could anyone help me please as I am totally confused at the moment. Also would this router modem be a good choice.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Jun-17 17:57:26
Print Post

Re: New to Fibre

[re: pooser] [link to this post]

The Billion 8800NL R2 is a combined modem/router so will connect to the phone line and work with VDSL2 services.

NOTE: It is only an 802.11n device with just 2.4 GHz wireless, general recommendation is for dual band devices these days, but all depends on how much you use wireless.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pooser
(newbie) Fri 30-Jun-17 18:25:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you MrSaffron. Would I also need to change the face plate on my BT wall socket ? Also could you recommend a decent dual band modem router please.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Jun-17 18:45:29
Print Post

[re: pooser] [link to this post]

Faceplate if its one that gives you a dedicated ADSL socket and a filtered phone socket, then unless really old and getting dodgy no reason to change it.

There was the Billion AXL which has been replaced by the Billion AC1600 http://amzn.to/2suNFpK but at £169 its not cheap, getting the cheaper 8800 NL and turning off wireless and getting a dual band wireless access point like this Asus http://amzn.to/2tsNTlR at £29.99 would give a cheaper solution (having wireless access point means you can position modem/router in ideal location for VDSL2 and run an Ethernet cable to location where the wireless is ideally located.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to