General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 02:16:27
Print Post

Cabinet change.

[link to this post]

Hi folks.

Had another look at my availability checker today and it says i'm on a different cabinet. I've been on cab 1 for as long as i remember but is now showing i'm on cab 8. I didn't even know there was a cab 8.

Not sure where to look for it either, codelook hasn't updated but that isn't very accurate so can't rely on it. Wondering if someone could look into that specific cab for me please. I'm on the WSLON exchange (Lochmaben) Fibre availability has disappeared as well on the checker.

Availability checker. https://ibb.co/e9g3vQ

Thanks in a advance
Michael
Edit. I should state that codelook says "live due by April 2017" Yet no fibre showing on the checker, unless its further away from my home of course. Which would be a real shame with the whole long reach vdsl tech looking promising.

Edited by woodmass14 (Thu 20-Jul-17 02:37:59)

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Jul-17 08:03:58
Print Post

Re: Cabinet change.

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

What does the Openreach where and when page say?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Jul-17 09:46:56
Print Post

Cab 8 and probably a cab 7 are both new cabinets so only Openreach know where they are for now.

New cabs tend to ebb and flow until properly live, a chunk of EO near exchange might get one and postcodes around DG11 1TF are where I'd put a 50 pence bet based on what goes on in other areas

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 10:16:39
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Hi lee111s.

I didn't think to check that. It says i'm in the connect stage.

"We're connecting power to the new fibre cabinet and joining the new fibre lines to the existing copper network.
You can't order a fibre service today but typically it'll be available to your premises within the next four months.
Find out more about the fibre journey."

Looks promising but we will see.

Michael
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Jul-17 10:26:15
Print Post

Looks like an infil cabinet then.

They can take a little longer to accept new orders. When the cabinet is made live, Openreach have to speak to all ISP's of the exising FTTC customers who will be moved to the new cabinet. The process is called a live to live migration and usually takes a few months to orchestrate.
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 10:27:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrS

I created a post not long ago regarding a new cab being built on the very edge of lochmaben. I think it may be that one im connected to when i think about it.

If thats the case that will bring me around 2.5km from the nearest cab which is a little disappointing but can't complain, it's closer than cab 1. It'll be the same for Templand i presume.

The DG11 1TF is in Templand, from what i know that whole village gets around the same speeds i do. I might go walk the pup and see if i can see anything around there. Have not seen anything on the roadworks website though.

Thank you.
Michael
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 10:37:33
Print Post

I think you may be right.

An all in one cabinet has recently been installed on the very edge of town. From my understanding, the copper that serves me pass right by that cab.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Jul-17 11:13:16
Print Post

Hopefully you're within reach!
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 11:38:09
Print Post

I never get my hopes up when it comes to broadband

In all seriousness, i hope so too. smile
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 20-Jul-17 11:52:55
Print Post

Your 2.5km suggests that you might get a little more speed than your current ADSL connection. A lot will depend on line quality, line size, external noise, and crosstalk.

I know of some at a similar distance who get around 8Mbps, and others down at 3 to 4 Mbps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to