General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Wed 26-Jul-17 14:27:54
Print Post

Re: Cabinet change.

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I use that site often Wombat. Well, every couple of weeks to see if anythings happening.

Though no roadworks show on the map even though there are roadworks happening so don't trust it 100%

The roadworks in Templand interest me so might need to go walk the dog and see what they're up to.

Thanks
Michael.
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Fri 04-Aug-17 17:20:58
Print Post

Re: Cabinet change.

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

I'm a little confused to which cabinet i'm on still. I figured i'd try my address instead of a phone number on the checker and that is showing i'm still on cabinet 1. My phone number is showing cabinet 8.

The odd thing is the fibre speeds have quadrupled in size on the checker. Before the supposed cabinet change it was showing 2mbps fibre speeds, now it's showing 10+.

Results below were before all this cabinet change stuff.
https://ibb.co/kpfGHF

Using my phone number, does not show fibre as that cabinet is in its final activation stage according to the where and when page.
https://ibb.co/fXT3xF

Using the address checker, showing increased fibre speeds, i have no clue why. I'm wondering if those are the expected speeds from cabinet 8 but weirdly still shows cab 1.

https://ibb.co/mq0u4v

I'm guessing this is just an issue with the checker and they'll iron out as soon as cab 8 goes live. Just a little odd and figured i'd have a moan.

Those speeds look promising. I have to wonder though, how long will i be stuck on 10mbps -15mbps before another uso. smile

Edited by woodmass14 (Fri 04-Aug-17 17:23:27)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 25-Aug-17 14:19:06
Print Post

Problems getting connected to new cab.

Hi again folks.

Well, Wednesday has come (Installation date) and have no broadband. Still have access to phone.

Called sky on the Thursday and they said openreach were unable to complete my installation. They said, and i quote. "Cannot complete the task because i was unable to access openreach line plant plotted within the openreach network" "fibre has yet to be pulled into cab" They told me to wait for updates. Now comes today.

Called again this afternoon and the guy pretty much repeated what the lady said to me yesterday, however, he said that cabinet 7 has not yet been complete. What? I'm not on cabinet 7. He says there is nothing he can do till openreach get back to him. I know that cabinet 7 isn't finished yet, from my understanding it will be finished at the end of this September.

I'm on cabinet 8 and its live and accepting orders. Why does openreach think i'm connected to cabinet 7? Its at the opposite side of the village, it wouldn't make sense.

What worries me is that openreach won't figure the problem out until cab 7 is live and they figure out that my line is nowhere near cab 7. And don't particularly want to be left without internet for a month.

I can't help but think this is a database issue. Address checker shows cab 1, phone number shows cab 8 (not anymore as my number now belongs to sky) Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks again.
Michael.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Aug-17 14:46:47
Print Post

Re: Problems getting connected to new cab.

Any chance that the reference to cab 7 came in some written notes from the engineer, and are a typo on his/her part?

If not, finding out what the Sky CS guy was referring to when he mentioned cab 7 is the starting point.

As for cab 8 ... do you know anyone who has had an installation completed for cab 8? It has been known for cab to go live and be accepting orders in error. Orders then get stalled until work completes ... which might include some live-to-live migrations. They are slow processes.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 25-Aug-17 15:09:49
Print Post

Hi WWWombat.

To my knowledge cab 8 has been fully installed. The fibre is already connected to it so that would go against what the openreach guy said on his notes. I honestly do believe he went to cabinet 7. Cab 7 has been erected but has no power or fibre. But no, i don't know of anyone on cab 8 that i can ask.

I went a bit more in depth with the sky adviser that i'm on cab 8. He said he'll call back within the hour (it's been 3) so he can contact openreach. I'm not sure if i should cancel the order and go back to ADSL. It's all so bizarre.

Michael.

A little update. They contacted openreach. Openreach said to wait till the 29th of this month. I've done some more digging. The where and when page now show (When using the address checker) i'm on cab 8 but say its full. I blooming well hope not. I ordered it the day it was accepting orders. Though, the dsl checker still shows cab 1. I give up.

Edited by woodmass14 (Fri 25-Aug-17 19:19:05)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Aug-17 12:51:59
Print Post

It might just be one card that is full, not the whole cabinet.

And it is vital that anyone who had an FTTC service while on cab 1 is migrated over to the new cab 8 pairing ... which would use up some of the ports before external orders can be expected.

What I do know is that, whatever cab number is in the records at the moment you place the order, is kept on the order ... and dictates which DSLAM the port is allocated within.

If your order is an upgrade for your existing phone number, then it should pick up that cab #. If it is for a new line, it will pick up the cab# for the address.

If the cab# is wrong, and subsequently changes in the checker, then the order will need to be cancelled, and a new order placed.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 26-Aug-17 17:37:11
Print Post

I didn't think about that WWWombat. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

It seems that cabinet 7 is on the records at the moment so might need to cancel it. I'll give them till the 29th and see what they say.

Thanks again WWWombat. Appreciated!

Michael.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 31-Aug-17 20:05:46
Print Post

I am now connected to fibre. Finally!

That cabinet was not yet ready/live. Little annoyed they let me order even though the darn thing wasn't live but oh well.

I'm a little disappointed with the speed but i wasn't expecting much given my distance and the laws of physics. Ping is great, averages around 16-23ms. Web pages are more responsive. I'm at 6db noise margin so perhaps i'll get an increase in speed should it be lowered to 3db.

Is it worth the extra tenner? Probably not but its here and staying.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15042056966...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 31-Aug-17 20:14:03
Print Post

What speeds did sky say you would get?
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 31-Aug-17 20:16:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

7mbps. Not far off at all. I am 2.5-2.6km from the cab so these speeds are expected. I just hope the line remains stable and crosstalk not to effect it to much or i'll have no choice but to revert back to ADSL.

Just wondering if those stats look right?

https://ibb.co/fWw3u5

I plan to set up my other router, that has a lot more connection stats so will get a better idea of what happening. Given my distance, i was expecting 10-12mbps.

Edited by woodmass14 (Thu 31-Aug-17 23:50:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to