General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 12-Sep-17 12:28:48
Print Post

Re: Problems getting connected to new cab.

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Well i've had to revert back to ADSL services as fibre just kept lowering in speed.

I'm baffled at some problems i've been having with sky adsl. My speeds are exactly the same as when i was with origin, however, when the bandwidth is being saturated my internet finds it hard to push through other things i might use it for. I thought it might be a router issue and how it handles QoS but i've connected the router i used with origin but still, the internet is unusable when saturated.

Could someone explain what the cause of that might be? Do different isps use different QoS methods if any at the exchange side? I'm still able to cancel, was just wondering if its fixable before going over the 14 days.

Thanks
Michael.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Sep-17 14:31:00
Print Post

How providers operate things at their end of things can have an impact, and it with ADSL having such a low upload speed a small change may be more noticeable i.e. acks for TCP packets

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 12-Sep-17 14:45:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Upload is a little higher on sky. Must be something to do with the exchange side and onward. Don't know if i can handle that. Ping goes through the roof when saturated. While with origin it rarely got above 80 when under load, now its going above 170-250. I'll play it safe and go back to what works.

Edit. Could it be G.INP? According to my router its enabled. Never had that when i was with origin. I'll need to read up on what G.INP is.

Edited by woodmass14 (Tue 12-Sep-17 14:46:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 12-Sep-17 16:31:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
Upload is a little higher on sky. Must be something to do with the exchange side and onward. Don't know if i can handle that. Ping goes through the roof when saturated. While with origin it rarely got above 80 when under load, now its going above 170-250. I'll play it safe and go back to what works.

Edit. Could it be G.INP? According to my router its enabled. Never had that when i was with origin. I'll need to read up on what G.INP is.

VDSL2 FTTC is managed by Openreach, not Sky or Origin. If G.INP has been enabled that’s because Openreach’s DLM has seemed it appropriate, could have happened with Origin also.

Icaras
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 12-Sep-17 16:35:59
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Hi Icaras.

I'm no longer on fttc. Is G.INP specifically for VDSL services? I assumed sky had their own equipment with their own DLM. This is all guessing of course.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 12-Sep-17 17:49:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
Hi Icaras.

I'm no longer on fttc. Is G.INP specifically for VDSL services? I assumed sky had their own equipment with their own DLM. This is all guessing of course.

Oh I must have missed that.

Yes for ADSL/ADSL2+ Sky have their own equipment in the exchange and DLM is managed by them. They do use G.INP on their ADSL2+ service, yes.

Icaras
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 13-Sep-17 02:32:00
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Ah right. Good to know! Thanks for confirming.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to