General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 12-Sep-17 12:28:48
Print Post

Re: Problems getting connected to new cab.

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Well i've had to revert back to ADSL services as fibre just kept lowering in speed.

I'm baffled at some problems i've been having with sky adsl. My speeds are exactly the same as when i was with origin, however, when the bandwidth is being saturated my internet finds it hard to push through other things i might use it for. I thought it might be a router issue and how it handles QoS but i've connected the router i used with origin but still, the internet is unusable when saturated.

Could someone explain what the cause of that might be? Do different isps use different QoS methods if any at the exchange side? I'm still able to cancel, was just wondering if its fixable before going over the 14 days.

Thanks
Michael.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Sep-17 14:31:00
Print Post

How providers operate things at their end of things can have an impact, and it with ADSL having such a low upload speed a small change may be more noticeable i.e. acks for TCP packets

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 12-Sep-17 14:45:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Upload is a little higher on sky. Must be something to do with the exchange side and onward. Don't know if i can handle that. Ping goes through the roof when saturated. While with origin it rarely got above 80 when under load, now its going above 170-250. I'll play it safe and go back to what works.

Edit. Could it be G.INP? According to my router its enabled. Never had that when i was with origin. I'll need to read up on what G.INP is.

Edited by woodmass14 (Tue 12-Sep-17 14:46:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 12-Sep-17 16:31:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
Upload is a little higher on sky. Must be something to do with the exchange side and onward. Don't know if i can handle that. Ping goes through the roof when saturated. While with origin it rarely got above 80 when under load, now its going above 170-250. I'll play it safe and go back to what works.

Edit. Could it be G.INP? According to my router its enabled. Never had that when i was with origin. I'll need to read up on what G.INP is.

VDSL2 FTTC is managed by Openreach, not Sky or Origin. If G.INP has been enabled that’s because Openreach’s DLM has seemed it appropriate, could have happened with Origin also.

Icaras
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 12-Sep-17 16:35:59
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Hi Icaras.

I'm no longer on fttc. Is G.INP specifically for VDSL services? I assumed sky had their own equipment with their own DLM. This is all guessing of course.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 12-Sep-17 17:49:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
Hi Icaras.

I'm no longer on fttc. Is G.INP specifically for VDSL services? I assumed sky had their own equipment with their own DLM. This is all guessing of course.

Oh I must have missed that.

Yes for ADSL/ADSL2+ Sky have their own equipment in the exchange and DLM is managed by them. They do use G.INP on their ADSL2+ service, yes.

Icaras
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 13-Sep-17 02:32:00
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Ah right. Good to know! Thanks for confirming.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 05-Oct-17 12:41:27
Print Post

Apologies for bringing this thread back to the top, feel its necessary to my next question.

I was able to order fibre broadband on the new cabinet 8 a month back, though the speeds were the same as ADSL so decided to revert back to ADSL. I check the availability checker every so often and have now seen that fttc is no longer a product i can order, it's disappeared completely. However, a new cabinet (cabinet 9) has been installed in a village close to me and is in it's connect stage. Is it unheard of people being moved to 2 different cabinets a couple of months apart? In my case i was originally on cab 1, then cab 8. This happened last time with the availability checker when the cab change happened.

Is it just the case of bt/openreach removing it from my checker results due to poor speeds and no point in selling the product. The cab still shows available (fttc) when i check a friends number. Little odd to say the least.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Oct-17 20:39:50
Print Post

It is relatively rare to be rewired once, never mind twice or even three times (what did happen to cab 7?).

However, I would have imagined that BT would only have bothered rewiring you (and others in your cable bundle) in the first place if some of you were going to gain superfast speeds out of the work.

Perhaps the fact that you only got equivalent speeds to ADSL is an indication that the rewiring was badly planned (or executed), and that you were migrated into a new plan?

If so, then a rewire would likely apply to more than just your line ... so it would depend how many were in a similar situation, with speeds too low to count as "superfast". And it would depend whether your cable went past the new cab 9.

Otherwise, the checker has just adjusted for the fact that it isn't worth selling you the product.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 05-Oct-17 21:15:57
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

That's what i thought too. But the availability checker is doing the exact same thing as it did last time during my last cab change. Time will tell.

As for cab 7 i believe that to be an error on the openreach side. Engineer went to the wrong cab (cab 7) Ultimately had to contact the head of openreach to sort out the problem and to fix the database issue with it still showing cab 1 on the availability checker. I don't even think cab 7 is live yet still. The folks that helped me were very helpful and quick to fix the problems i was having.

From my understanding everyone that was connected to cab 1 that lives in the same direction i do was connected to cab 8 with Templand residents being the exception as they have just had cab 9 installed in their village. So i'd say 8 houses in total were moved to cab 8 outside Lochmaben, including my own. All the residents in Millhousebridge were also moved to cab 8, no idea why as they live even further than i do from the cab.

Though, you did use the word bundle which makes me think that they're part of my bundle, that's why they were connected to cab 8? I've no clue what i'm talking about smile As for "superfast" only 1 or 2 houses would get access to speeds above 30 outside of lochmaben, the rest are way to far for "superfast"

I may just be grasping at straws, would be nice to be connected to the Templand cab 9. But you're probably right, they most likely removed it as a product from my checker.

Michael.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to