General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 02:16:27
Print Post

Cabinet change.

[link to this post]

Hi folks.

Had another look at my availability checker today and it says i'm on a different cabinet. I've been on cab 1 for as long as i remember but is now showing i'm on cab 8. I didn't even know there was a cab 8.

Not sure where to look for it either, codelook hasn't updated but that isn't very accurate so can't rely on it. Wondering if someone could look into that specific cab for me please. I'm on the WSLON exchange (Lochmaben) Fibre availability has disappeared as well on the checker.

Availability checker. https://ibb.co/e9g3vQ

Thanks in a advance
Michael
Edit. I should state that codelook says "live due by April 2017" Yet no fibre showing on the checker, unless its further away from my home of course. Which would be a real shame with the whole long reach vdsl tech looking promising.

Edited by woodmass14 (Thu 20-Jul-17 02:37:59)

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Jul-17 08:03:58
Print Post

Re: Cabinet change.

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

What does the Openreach where and when page say?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Jul-17 09:46:56
Print Post

Cab 8 and probably a cab 7 are both new cabinets so only Openreach know where they are for now.

New cabs tend to ebb and flow until properly live, a chunk of EO near exchange might get one and postcodes around DG11 1TF are where I'd put a 50 pence bet based on what goes on in other areas

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 10:16:39
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Hi lee111s.

I didn't think to check that. It says i'm in the connect stage.

"We're connecting power to the new fibre cabinet and joining the new fibre lines to the existing copper network.
You can't order a fibre service today but typically it'll be available to your premises within the next four months.
Find out more about the fibre journey."

Looks promising but we will see.

Michael
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Jul-17 10:26:15
Print Post

Looks like an infil cabinet then.

They can take a little longer to accept new orders. When the cabinet is made live, Openreach have to speak to all ISP's of the exising FTTC customers who will be moved to the new cabinet. The process is called a live to live migration and usually takes a few months to orchestrate.
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 10:27:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrS

I created a post not long ago regarding a new cab being built on the very edge of lochmaben. I think it may be that one im connected to when i think about it.

If thats the case that will bring me around 2.5km from the nearest cab which is a little disappointing but can't complain, it's closer than cab 1. It'll be the same for Templand i presume.

The DG11 1TF is in Templand, from what i know that whole village gets around the same speeds i do. I might go walk the pup and see if i can see anything around there. Have not seen anything on the roadworks website though.

Thank you.
Michael
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 10:37:33
Print Post

I think you may be right.

An all in one cabinet has recently been installed on the very edge of town. From my understanding, the copper that serves me pass right by that cab.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Jul-17 11:13:16
Print Post

Hopefully you're within reach!
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 11:38:09
Print Post

I never get my hopes up when it comes to broadband

In all seriousness, i hope so too. smile
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 20-Jul-17 11:52:55
Print Post

Your 2.5km suggests that you might get a little more speed than your current ADSL connection. A lot will depend on line quality, line size, external noise, and crosstalk.

I know of some at a similar distance who get around 8Mbps, and others down at 3 to 4 Mbps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 12:09:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi MHC

I've got a decent line i believe. I currently get 8-9 with ADSL2+

Have a feeling i will get a bit more with fibre, is it worth the extra £10 a month, ah i'm not sure. I don't believe it will be a large increase.

Michael.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 20-Jul-17 12:15:32
Print Post

That is way above the checker results - so yes a good line. How far from the exchange is that? You really will be in "try it and see territory" with VDSL though. You will, hopefully, see a decent increase in upstream though.

M H C

Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 12:30:13
Print Post

They've never been accurate those results, have always gotten more than stated.

I'm about 3km from the exchange, 2.9km from the cabinet that used to serve me and the new cab i'm on (if its the one i'm thinking of) is around 2.5km. There is no number on that cabinet either, i'm not sure if they mark it after its live or what?

But yes, i've had a couple of engineers say my line is fantastic.

Thanks
Michael.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 20-Jul-17 12:47:39
Print Post

Was fibre not available to you previously? Cab1 was apparently enabled back in 2015.

M H C

Standard User woodmass14
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 12:57:41
Print Post

It was. Had it available for a while now but never had the guts to go for it out of fear i'd be left without the internet for a couple of weeks. And by fear i mean kids asking me constantly where their internet is smile

From a previous thread.
https://ibb.co/e6pBUa

Michael.
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Sat 22-Jul-17 17:17:51
Print Post

Slight problem trying to locate my new cab. It wasn't the one i thought it was. Had a look around the area as well with no luck.

I've been on my local council website to see if i could find those who have recently got planning permission to build and such however, i'm not sure what to type in. I've typed keywords "TEL", "Cabinet", "Openreach/BT", and a few others but doesn't show very much.

Does anyone have any ideas what to look for?

Thanks again.
Michael.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Mon 24-Jul-17 08:47:36
Print Post

Around Here
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Mon 24-Jul-17 10:33:56
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Hi witchhunt.

That must be it then. There are a lot of roadworks happening in that small area.

Thanks for taking them time to look for me. Appreciate that!

Can i ask how you found it? Or is that a secret smile
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Jul-17 10:34:28
Print Post

Ask no questions wink
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Jul-17 14:14:10
Print Post

Try this site:
https://www.roadworksscotland.org/

It shows some Openreach work in Lochmaben 19/8-23/8, and some in Templand 7/8-15/8.

Unfortunately, unlike the roadworks.org site, you don't get much clue as to what the work is for. These 2 works don't look to be related to that cab, but that's the website that will show you when the work does turn up.
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Wed 26-Jul-17 14:27:54
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I use that site often Wombat. Well, every couple of weeks to see if anythings happening.

Though no roadworks show on the map even though there are roadworks happening so don't trust it 100%

The roadworks in Templand interest me so might need to go walk the dog and see what they're up to.

Thanks
Michael.
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Fri 04-Aug-17 17:20:58
Print Post

I'm a little confused to which cabinet i'm on still. I figured i'd try my address instead of a phone number on the checker and that is showing i'm still on cabinet 1. My phone number is showing cabinet 8.

The odd thing is the fibre speeds have quadrupled in size on the checker. Before the supposed cabinet change it was showing 2mbps fibre speeds, now it's showing 10+.

Results below were before all this cabinet change stuff.
https://ibb.co/kpfGHF

Using my phone number, does not show fibre as that cabinet is in its final activation stage according to the where and when page.
https://ibb.co/fXT3xF

Using the address checker, showing increased fibre speeds, i have no clue why. I'm wondering if those are the expected speeds from cabinet 8 but weirdly still shows cab 1.

https://ibb.co/mq0u4v

I'm guessing this is just an issue with the checker and they'll iron out as soon as cab 8 goes live. Just a little odd and figured i'd have a moan.

Those speeds look promising. I have to wonder though, how long will i be stuck on 10mbps -15mbps before another uso. smile

Edited by woodmass14 (Fri 04-Aug-17 17:23:27)

Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 25-Aug-17 14:19:06
Print Post

Problems getting connected to new cab.

Hi again folks.

Well, Wednesday has come (Installation date) and have no broadband. Still have access to phone.

Called sky on the Thursday and they said openreach were unable to complete my installation. They said, and i quote. "Cannot complete the task because i was unable to access openreach line plant plotted within the openreach network" "fibre has yet to be pulled into cab" They told me to wait for updates. Now comes today.

Called again this afternoon and the guy pretty much repeated what the lady said to me yesterday, however, he said that cabinet 7 has not yet been complete. What? I'm not on cabinet 7. He says there is nothing he can do till openreach get back to him. I know that cabinet 7 isn't finished yet, from my understanding it will be finished at the end of this September.

I'm on cabinet 8 and its live and accepting orders. Why does openreach think i'm connected to cabinet 7? Its at the opposite side of the village, it wouldn't make sense.

What worries me is that openreach won't figure the problem out until cab 7 is live and they figure out that my line is nowhere near cab 7. And don't particularly want to be left without internet for a month.

I can't help but think this is a database issue. Address checker shows cab 1, phone number shows cab 8 (not anymore as my number now belongs to sky) Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks again.
Michael.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Aug-17 14:46:47
Print Post

Re: Problems getting connected to new cab.

Any chance that the reference to cab 7 came in some written notes from the engineer, and are a typo on his/her part?

If not, finding out what the Sky CS guy was referring to when he mentioned cab 7 is the starting point.

As for cab 8 ... do you know anyone who has had an installation completed for cab 8? It has been known for cab to go live and be accepting orders in error. Orders then get stalled until work completes ... which might include some live-to-live migrations. They are slow processes.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 25-Aug-17 15:09:49
Print Post

Hi WWWombat.

To my knowledge cab 8 has been fully installed. The fibre is already connected to it so that would go against what the openreach guy said on his notes. I honestly do believe he went to cabinet 7. Cab 7 has been erected but has no power or fibre. But no, i don't know of anyone on cab 8 that i can ask.

I went a bit more in depth with the sky adviser that i'm on cab 8. He said he'll call back within the hour (it's been 3) so he can contact openreach. I'm not sure if i should cancel the order and go back to ADSL. It's all so bizarre.

Michael.

A little update. They contacted openreach. Openreach said to wait till the 29th of this month. I've done some more digging. The where and when page now show (When using the address checker) i'm on cab 8 but say its full. I blooming well hope not. I ordered it the day it was accepting orders. Though, the dsl checker still shows cab 1. I give up.

Edited by woodmass14 (Fri 25-Aug-17 19:19:05)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Aug-17 12:51:59
Print Post

It might just be one card that is full, not the whole cabinet.

And it is vital that anyone who had an FTTC service while on cab 1 is migrated over to the new cab 8 pairing ... which would use up some of the ports before external orders can be expected.

What I do know is that, whatever cab number is in the records at the moment you place the order, is kept on the order ... and dictates which DSLAM the port is allocated within.

If your order is an upgrade for your existing phone number, then it should pick up that cab #. If it is for a new line, it will pick up the cab# for the address.

If the cab# is wrong, and subsequently changes in the checker, then the order will need to be cancelled, and a new order placed.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Sat 26-Aug-17 17:37:11
Print Post

I didn't think about that WWWombat. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

It seems that cabinet 7 is on the records at the moment so might need to cancel it. I'll give them till the 29th and see what they say.

Thanks again WWWombat. Appreciated!

Michael.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 31-Aug-17 20:05:46
Print Post

I am now connected to fibre. Finally!

That cabinet was not yet ready/live. Little annoyed they let me order even though the darn thing wasn't live but oh well.

I'm a little disappointed with the speed but i wasn't expecting much given my distance and the laws of physics. Ping is great, averages around 16-23ms. Web pages are more responsive. I'm at 6db noise margin so perhaps i'll get an increase in speed should it be lowered to 3db.

Is it worth the extra tenner? Probably not but its here and staying.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15042056966...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 31-Aug-17 20:14:03
Print Post

What speeds did sky say you would get?
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Thu 31-Aug-17 20:16:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

7mbps. Not far off at all. I am 2.5-2.6km from the cab so these speeds are expected. I just hope the line remains stable and crosstalk not to effect it to much or i'll have no choice but to revert back to ADSL.

Just wondering if those stats look right?

https://ibb.co/fWw3u5

I plan to set up my other router, that has a lot more connection stats so will get a better idea of what happening. Given my distance, i was expecting 10-12mbps.

Edited by woodmass14 (Thu 31-Aug-17 23:50:01)

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Fri 01-Sep-17 06:52:22
Print Post

If you’re that far from the cab you’re doing well to get 7Mb.

These things happen with cabinets getting mixed up. I was on a job to switch someone over to fibre once on a new cabinet for exchange only lines, opened the cabinet and the thing was completely empty! No wires at all.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Sep-17 07:06:21
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
I was on a job to switch someone over to fibre once on a new cabinet for exchange only lines, opened the cabinet and the thing was completely empty! No wires at all.

You sure that wasn't an EC Line ?
EC = Empty Cabinet Line tongue

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 01-Sep-17 12:39:13
Print Post

So it's a relatively common problem? I think it was the same issue with my engineer. Everything had been placed, fibre and power but there was nothing in the cab to do anything with. They got it sorted reasonably quickly though. 7-8 days. Not bad me thinks.

Shame it happened in the first place but i'd like to know where abouts in the process it went wrong.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Sep-17 13:26:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
Shame it happened in the first place but i'd like to know where abouts in the process it went wrong.

In the cases seen on here, it seems to be that the cabinet is marked live too early.

When your problem was fixed, did the DSL checker switch to giving you the correct cabinet details for both address and phone number? Before the installation or after?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Sep-17 13:27:23
Print Post

opened the cabinet and the thing was completely empty! No wires at all.

I bet that was a shock
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Sep-17 13:57:40
Print Post

Can you get shocks off wireless?

/me runs

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65094/12250Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 01-Sep-17 14:21:54
Print Post

Neither. I had to contact openreach to get that sorted. It'd been like that for a month and didn't see it shifting anytime soon. Contacted openreach with a database issue and they sorted it very quickly. It was sorted on the 28th so before the cabinet actually went live so i'm assuming it was dealt with by openreach, at least the email they sent sounded as if they intervened.

I would have left it and not bothered contacting them but i was worried that future migrations would be effected.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 01-Sep-17 15:31:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Can you get shocks off wireless?

/me runs

Lightning ...

M H C

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Sep-17 17:30:42
Print Post

Ah, an Apple conductor...

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Thu 07-Sep-17 15:44:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
opened the cabinet and the thing was completely empty! No wires at all.

I bet that was a shock

I checked the other day and the copper cabinet is still on the system as a live cabinet but thankfully the system is now aware that no lines have been put through to it! The fibre cabinet that was next to it has been removed, no idea what is going on.... I should ask really.

[color=blue]Icaras[/color]
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 12-Sep-17 12:28:48
Print Post

Well i've had to revert back to ADSL services as fibre just kept lowering in speed.

I'm baffled at some problems i've been having with sky adsl. My speeds are exactly the same as when i was with origin, however, when the bandwidth is being saturated my internet finds it hard to push through other things i might use it for. I thought it might be a router issue and how it handles QoS but i've connected the router i used with origin but still, the internet is unusable when saturated.

Could someone explain what the cause of that might be? Do different isps use different QoS methods if any at the exchange side? I'm still able to cancel, was just wondering if its fixable before going over the 14 days.

Thanks
Michael.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Sep-17 14:31:00
Print Post

How providers operate things at their end of things can have an impact, and it with ADSL having such a low upload speed a small change may be more noticeable i.e. acks for TCP packets

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 12-Sep-17 14:45:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Upload is a little higher on sky. Must be something to do with the exchange side and onward. Don't know if i can handle that. Ping goes through the roof when saturated. While with origin it rarely got above 80 when under load, now its going above 170-250. I'll play it safe and go back to what works.

Edit. Could it be G.INP? According to my router its enabled. Never had that when i was with origin. I'll need to read up on what G.INP is.

Edited by woodmass14 (Tue 12-Sep-17 14:46:46)

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 12-Sep-17 16:31:39
Print Post

Upload is a little higher on sky. Must be something to do with the exchange side and onward. Don't know if i can handle that. Ping goes through the roof when saturated. While with origin it rarely got above 80 when under load, now its going above 170-250. I'll play it safe and go back to what works.

Edit. Could it be G.INP? According to my router its enabled. Never had that when i was with origin. I'll need to read up on what G.INP is.

VDSL2 FTTC is managed by Openreach, not Sky or Origin. If G.INP has been enabled that’s because Openreach’s DLM has seemed it appropriate, could have happened with Origin also.

Icaras
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Tue 12-Sep-17 16:35:59
Print Post

Hi Icaras.

I'm no longer on fttc. Is G.INP specifically for VDSL services? I assumed sky had their own equipment with their own DLM. This is all guessing of course.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 12-Sep-17 17:49:46
Print Post

Hi Icaras.

I'm no longer on fttc. Is G.INP specifically for VDSL services? I assumed sky had their own equipment with their own DLM. This is all guessing of course.

Oh I must have missed that.

Yes for ADSL/ADSL2+ Sky have their own equipment in the exchange and DLM is managed by them. They do use G.INP on their ADSL2+ service, yes.

Icaras
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Wed 13-Sep-17 02:32:00
Print Post

Ah right. Good to know! Thanks for confirming.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to