General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gay18
(newbie) Fri 21-Jul-17 17:17:50
Print Post

silver key address

[link to this post]

I am buying a house that doesn't register on openreach as it has no phone line they say it is a silver key address and that they cannot say if fibre is available yet all the houses around this house have it. It is a new build amongst older houses and has never had a phone line. After speaking to BT they insist that I just get a phone line and broadband before seeing if fibre is available and yet I have heard that if it is a silver key address then this may not be possible.
broadband is too slow for what we will need so I Am very concerned if this is the case has anyone had this problem and knows how the best way to go about it is ???
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Jul-17 17:25:32
Print Post

Re: silver key address

[re: gay18] [link to this post]

As there's no data for the property, given it's had no line before then yes, you need to order a line, wait for the systems to update and then order FTTC.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Jul-17 20:58:24
Print Post

Re: silver key address

[re: gay18] [link to this post]

Openreach have a big problem with data integrity of addresses, as they end up dependent on the ISPs to get addresses right. That isn't a trustworthy source.

The scheme to try to keep on top of this is through the gold, silver & bronze keys.

For a "gold" address: BT have provided service to this address, so this address is taken as a correct, valid one (even if it isn't always).

Addresses that have not had a BT service are "unknown", and fall into 2 camps: a "silver" one, where the address comes from the Post Office Address File (PAF), and a "bronze" one where the address is not known at all.

Both of the last types need confirmation after the order is placed, and this is done by a survey of the premises and a manual check of the address entered.

When I moved into my current property, and ordered a phone/broadband service, the "silver key address" was surveyed within 48 hours, and the checker was updated to give both broadband and FTTC speed estimates. Well before the installation work was due to complete (and, in fact, well before we moved in).

That was the good news.

Unfortunately, the surveyor got his data wrong, and typed in the wrong cabinet number. It meant that FTTC orders kept failing, and took around 3 months to fix.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to