General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sheephouse
(learned) Tue 25-Jul-17 16:51:54
Print Post

Exchange Only Lines

[link to this post]

I keep reading news of the latest Gigabit/G-Fast/LR-VDSL projects, and I know some of those will be addressing EO lines, but is there any concerted effort to resolve the general problem? Or is it being done (not done) on a case by case basis?

While I'm happy for people that are having their ADSL2+/FTTC upgraded, I do feel rather left out having to make do with 20CN ADSL, and irritated that it seems that the priority is to upgrade people in urban areas that have already benefited from ADSL2+/FTTC (I know that it is because it is cheaper and they can make more money, but I'd be happy to pay much more for a better connection).
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Tue 25-Jul-17 17:45:46
Print Post

Re: Exchange Only Lines

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

There is no one size fits all strategy when money and timescales are a conaideration, so its a case by case basis.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jul-17 17:52:09
Print Post

If you could provide your postcode, some forum members may be able to shed some light if there are any, even rough plans for your area.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Jul-17 20:28:12
Print Post

Slow EO lines are by no means confined to rural areas. There being very many in the major cities a prime example being the Rotherhithe area of London. In our case, Vauxhall London, we were a group of 75 properties with slow EO lines and we clubbed together and gap funded BT to provide us with FTTC connections by way of a community gap funded network rearrangement whereby an AIO cab was installed close to our properties.

Edit: Not sure why I wrote Shoreditch when I meant Rotherhithe. Brain fade.

Edited by MCM (Tue 25-Jul-17 23:21:47)

Standard User sheephouse
(learned) Tue 25-Jul-17 21:33:29
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

MY query was general rather than specifically my area, which is due to get Gigaclear coverage by the end of 2019 (if all goes to plan), but for the record I'm on the Netherend exchange.

The Gigaclear business offering (if/when it becomes available) isn't very attractive as it will cost £1000+ installation/activation and then a minimum of £100 + extra for bridge mode per month, limited SLA , contention, and no IPv6.

My neighbours and I have looked at the BT Fibre Partnership deals to gap fund our neighbourhood, but there are too few close enough together to be viable. (a couple of businesses have relocated so it is even less viable now).

The alternative is a leased line, which costs more, but has no contention and a better SLA. I can't quite bring myself to commit to a 3 year leased line contract yet, but it may be the best option, and I may go down that route in a couple of months.

However, I'd be happy with ADSL2, as I should be able to get 18Mbps, and 1Mbps up, which I could live with.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jul-17 22:33:02
Print Post

The community funded partnership doesn't have to be FTTC, it can be FTTP too.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Jul-17 10:50:48
Print Post

The general answer is that Exchange Only lines are diminishing rapidly in the amount that exist.

G.fast is not involved in removing presence of EO, its full fibre, VDSL2 and cable broadband that is making them less of a problem.

No total solution has been proposed, since EO close to an ADSL2+ exchange will meet the 10 Mbps USO

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hvis42
(learned) Wed 26-Jul-17 10:54:37
Print Post

Actually, none of those mentioned will address EO lines. (not user what Gigabit is, though). G.Fast and LR-VDSL require a cabinet to work with, and they are just projects to improve speeds of FTTC connections.

Basically, there is no other way to improve EO line speeds but to do some digging. Either they need to dig to deliver fibre to premises, or they need to dig, build a cabinet and rearrange your lines there. Openreach are very reluctant to do that unless there is gap funding, which means almost all EO line rearrangement projects have happened in BDUK areas and Scotland/Wales/NI where devolved administrations have budgets for that.

Urban EO line areas without BDUK money are currently in limbo but things will probably improve in the foreseeable future because of USO.

If your area does not have enough homes to support FTTC, you could always ask how much a FTTP solution would cost. It might be cheaper as the amount of digging remains the same but they do not need to invest into cabinet infrastructure and arrange power to a cabinet. It may still be too expensive, but you can always ask.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Jul-17 13:42:50
Print Post

The solutions for EO lines are these:
- Add a PCP cabinet, re-arrange copper into PCP, add an FTTC twin
- Add an All-in-one cabinet (AIO) - a combined PCP and FTTC DSLAM
- Overlay with FTTP fibre.

The choice will be down to the costs involved, so every place is bespoke.

BT are also running a programme to upgrade all remaining 20CN exchanges to 21CN by the end of 2018.
Standard User sheephouse
(learned) Wed 26-Jul-17 14:28:23
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Yes, I wasn't suggesting those technologies as a solution for EO lines (apart from the gigabit FTTP such as Gigaclear are installing - but I guess that ignores the EO line rather than solving the problem), but as things that are taking a lot of attention and funding. I was wondering whether there was anything that was addressing EO lines.

My exchange used to have mostly EO lines. As part of the BDUK FTTC funding many were transferred to one of two cabinets. The remaining 30% of lines that are still EO wouldn't have met the minimum 24Mbps that is required for BDUK funding so were deliberately ignored. BT/OR have told me that a line rearrangement isn't cost effective so won't happen.

Due to the way the remaining EO properties are spread out, the BT funding option means that in the cluster of properties at my end of the village we'd be looking at £5k per property for FTTP - which is a bit steep for most people (I'd pay that if I could them get a reasonable monthly payment).

Virgin Business could provide a leased line, but have a 3 year term and leased line monthly prices (this is probably the solution I will have to go with).

Fastershire's solution is Gigaclear, who have the contract to provide FTTP to 63% of the properties without fast broadband, and should be installed before the end of 2019.

As for the upgrade of 20CN to 21CN, that doesn't seem to be a solution to EO lines either.

Edited by sheephouse (Wed 26-Jul-17 16:04:05)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to