General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jul-17 02:22:52
Print Post

Well, that went well

[link to this post]

BT's appointed contractors (Carillion telent) have been replacing the ancient and bulging-at-the seams PCP that my mother's phone line connects to.

There's now a nice shiny new PCP which could potentially host a G.Fast pod. Enough of that though because my mother now has BT's latest technology. Her phone is connected to two phone lines simultaneously shocked

This is clearly an experimental roll-out and not everything's working yet. Internet stability has improved enormously as the speed never varies but the hoped-for doubling of speed hasn't happened. It's now zero up and down all the time.

Making outbound calls is 'interesting' as a single call made from the phone goes out on both lines at the same time (each with a different caller id). Every time she calls my mobile, I can hear my voicemail kicking in because the second line can't get through to me and leaves a message.

Calling 17070 is most entertaining. Two automated voices start in synchrony but get out of step with each other as the two numbers are different.

This has been going on for three days now. The men in the hole (rewiring the PCP) can't do anything (and deny all knowledge) - even though they may well be part of the problem. Apparently we might get an update from BT some time on Monday.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jul-17 05:57:59
Print Post

Re: Well, that went well

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Ooooh, 'double dial tone'. There's full metallic contact somewhere (though I know you knew this)

Doubtless the work of the contractors. Plonkers.

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jul-17 06:45:49
Print Post

Does she get charged 2 line rental payments? wink

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jul-17 13:29:29
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I'm hoping that the two charges will cancel each other out, just as the broadband has smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 30-Jul-17 20:04:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Will the person the other number belongs to have the same problem, or no line? Or "It depends"?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Jul-17 23:24:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I suspect they have the same problem but have no idea. All I know about the other number is that it's a little further away from the FTTC cabinet - according to the speed estimates provided by Openreach. A web search shows no results for the number.

Sarah

--

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Aug-17 10:51:46
Print Post

The third option Bob.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Aug-17 11:32:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I thought it might be wink smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Aug-17 22:37:27
Print Post

Well, her phone works. Broadband (ADSL) hasn't changed. I wonder if the jumpers at the exchange have been disconnected. Unfortunately. I'm not going to be able to get back to have a look until the middle of next week.

Sarah

--

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Aug-17 00:29:38
Print Post

Have you checked the DSL checker for her line, may tell you if the jumpers have been left in.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 71334/17938
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to