General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Fri 28-Jul-17 09:13:34
Print Post

Reposition 'master' OR socket or use extension

[link to this post]

New development. OR cable appears to go to 'master' socket in living room. Developer says there will be an extension socket under the stair (for alarm connection).

The DSL checker says I won't get fibre any time soon and the ADSL will be quite slow. I want to squeeze every last bit out of my connection so I should have my router on the master socket? But I don't want it in the living room. Under the stair would be okay. So should I have OR reposition the master to under the stair and either forget the living room socket or have it as the extension?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 28-Jul-17 09:54:16
Print Post

Re: Reposition 'master' OR socket or use extension

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

On the master would be best However, if you really want it elsewhere: Filter at the master then run Cat5e from the AB terminals on the face plate to wherever you want it - closer the better. And avoid te cable going anywhere near anything electrical/electronic.

Maybe you can locate the router at te master and hide it, then run a single Cat5e cable to another location where you can insyall a small switch and WAP.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Fri 28-Jul-17 09:59:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes, thanks. I don't want surface run cables so wasn't planning on a DIY job. The cable from the existing master to the extension under the stair is hidden within the walls. So I was wondering if OR can use that cable to relocate the master under the stair.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 28-Jul-17 10:02:14
Print Post

Yes, OR could use it, crimp the incoming to that and put a blanking plate on.

However, YOU could do similar. Leave te master as is, then select a pair of te extension cable, connect to the AB terminals and use those to feed an RJ45 under the stairs.

M H C

Standard User Woolwich
(member) Fri 28-Jul-17 10:07:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Leave te master as is, then select a pair of te extension cable, connect to the AB terminals and use those to feed an RJ45 under the stairs.

Is this different from just connecting my router to the extension socket under the stair as provided? A while since I fiddled with 'BT' sockets, the newer masters look different (or at least my current FTTC on is).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 28-Jul-17 23:21:18
Print Post

Been unavailable since this morning ...

It's not much different but what you are doing is separating voice and VDSL signals as early as you can and it can give a slightly better performance.

Once thing to check on also is the type of cable used from master to extension - is it real CW1308 spec or Cat5e? both of which are fine, or whatever the builder had available!

M H C

Print Thread

Jump to