General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Wed 02-Aug-17 16:15:46
Print Post

Well, that went well 2

[link to this post]

A simple thing I thought, order a new phone line for broadband.

My chosen supplier was John Lewis/Plusnet mainly cos it's a 12 month contract and £20.

A bit of a back story to my house, I used to have two phone lines installed (pre-broadband days), but the 2nd line was disconnected a long time ago. One day my original line developed a fault - internet dropped when It rained. The line checked out fine, but the Openreach man swapped the cable with the 2nd line and the world was a happy place.

Now back to the present day, when placing the order for the new line I'm mindful that Openreach probably think I have two lines connected, so as part of the sign up process I put an engineers note to say the other line to my house is faulty/disconnected and does require an engineer visit. This was ordered on the 25th July and to my surprise an appointment for today was created.

I called yesterday to chase up my router and whilst on the phone got them to confirm everything was fine with the installation - when checking with openreach my install was flagged so my install for today was cancelled, so cut to today I get an email telling me my appointment has been rearranged (although the date/time was missing). Calling the ISP to was told I no longer require an engineer visit as I already have a line installed - I was charged £49.99 for a new line installation!!

Seems despite what I wrote or the fact I paid for a new line install openreach either didn't get the message or just ignored it. My install date is now the 16th of August. Whether that happens or not is another thing.

On the plus side my Sagemcom router turned up today and despite what Plusnet(JL) said you can get in to other menus to disable DHCP - which has saved my buying another!

ISP's:
Zen: Around 6mb down - .8mb up
JohnLewis BB: TBA
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Virgin rates variable so not bothering with them.....

Edited by kebabselector (Wed 02-Aug-17 16:33:24)

(member) Thu 03-Aug-17 11:44:49
Print Post

Re: Well, that went well 2

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

Today's email...

Dear Mr Kebab, Please be advised that your engineers appointment has been booked for the 16/08/17 between 1-6PM Please ensure that you are available at the premises during this time frame to allow the engineer access to the property. If the appointment is missed or access is refused you will be charged £65 for the missed appointment. Should you wish to reschedule the appointment please contact us 2 working days in advance of the appointment date on 0800 432 0200 or on 0345 140 0200 Kind regards,

[Sms Message: Your engineer's appointment has been booked for the 16/08/17 between 1-6PM. Please be available to allow the engineer access. If the appointment is missed you will be charged at £49.99 to rebook the appointment. If you wish to change the date and time please contact us in advance on 0800 432 0200 or on 0345 140 0200]

I have no problem with that after all it's a waste of their time/resources. I've queried what they are going to pay me for them not turning up yesterday.

ISP's:
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Virgin rates variable so not bothering with them.....
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Aug-17 14:36:04
Print Post

Some things never change :L

Best Regards,
Matt.
"I don't take too kindly to coaxial pushed rubbish... or to them damned Intel Puma wastes of plastic."

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 03-Aug-17 16:59:23
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

One thing changed. They quoted two different charges on the same day for missed appointments. wink

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(member) Fri 04-Aug-17 00:31:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think the charges are separate, a punishment of £65 for missing them then £49.99 for the 2nd attempt.

ISP's:
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Aug-17 22:50:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
One thing changed. They quoted two different charges on the same day for missed appointments. wink

Its a shame we cannot charge them that for their missed appointments.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
(member) Fri 04-Aug-17 22:57:28
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I did ask, but instead i'm getting a good will gesture!

(not sure what it is yet)

ISP's:
(member) Thu 17-Aug-17 10:28:35
Print Post

Credit to the Openreach engineer after my initial problems with the call centre staff that Plusnet/John Lewis dealt with. My new line is in and working now, and what a difference it's made switching the kids over to the new line!

My Broadband Ping

Should be fine without FTTC for a few years I hope. 2x6mbps lines doesn't sound too good, but I should be able to use iPlayer without quality dropping when the kids are on youtube.

Can't monitor the Plusnet line with BQM just yet as the Sagemcom router requires a hack to enable ping from the internet. Might pick up another router as that one isn't too good in terms of design or management (as it's JL/Plusnet locked down).

ISP's:

Edited by kebabselector (Thu 17-Aug-17 10:31:44)

Print Thread

Jump to