General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 03-Aug-17 09:30:33
Print Post

Re: Broadband in shed and home

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Alternatively he could use Homeplugs to network over the mains cable
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 03-Aug-17 10:06:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

There's the possibility that insurance hasn't been considered
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Aug-17 11:19:12
Print Post

[re: cawright1] [link to this post]

How far from the house to the shed, or vice versa ? Would wifi from a router in either location not do the trick ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Thu 03-Aug-17 23:26:40
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. To answer the questions asked

How far from the house is shed? - about 3 meteres.
What about damp,security, etc? - It is more like a garden room. A concrete structure, with full insulation, double glazed windows and doors.
Insurance? It will be covered.
Willl there be power to the shed? - Yes, full mains supply.

So, someone mentioned getting broadband cable laid into the shed alongside the power cables? Ideally, I'd like to avoid this, purely on a political basis. ie - its too much to ask the person doing it, to do this, etc etc.

Two routers? I just meant having a hub in the shed (it's only 9foot by 8foot 6) AND a hub in the house. If at all possible, so as to give me more sockets? .

Thinking more about the requirement, I dont need any wifi in the shed, just a socket for my TV and a socket for my pc.

So I'm wondering if maybe its best to just have the hub fitted into the house - as I will need the wifi in there, and then somehow take a lead from there into the shed? However, once that lead is in the shed, how do I get 2 sockets from the one cable? Apologies guys, I'm not too good with broadband stuff.

Edited by cawright1 (Thu 03-Aug-17 23:33:01)

Standard User awontroba
(regular) Fri 04-Aug-17 05:54:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by cawright1:
However, once that lead is in the shed, how do I get 2 sockets from the one cable?

A cheap unmanaged switch. £12 or less.

--
Adrian
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Aug-17 09:15:14
Print Post

Easy enough.

Is there a way to run a small cable between the two locations? Along a wall, maybe? Then buy a length - of armoured =1&o[]=4,209]Cat5e. You need that type rather than ordinary Cat5e to give both mechanical and UV protection.

Terminate the cable at both ends with an RJ45 wall mount socket.

In the house you will have the router - connected to the phone line and a number of Ethernet/network ports. Get a short patch cable and connect from one of those ports to the wall mount RJ45.

In the shed, have a small unmanaged 8 port switch. Connect the input of the switch to the incoming wall mount RJ45.

Then you have seven network ports available for your TV, PC, and anything else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User tiliaband
(newbie) Fri 04-Aug-17 15:22:29
Print Post

I have TP-LINK Powerline Adapters in the house (where I also have CAT5 that I installed years before) and summerhouse where I have a CCTV installed to monitor the visiting wildlife. A good idea may be to have a small fridge in the shed, as I have, which will run all the time and provide a bit of warmth in the cold nights of winter although that's not why my fridge is there! These Powerline Adapters work very well indeed and may be preferable even if your WIFI signal reaches the shed.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 04-Aug-17 17:16:57
Print Post

[re: tiliaband] [link to this post]

That still leaves the problem of the telephone connection
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Fri 04-Aug-17 18:44:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi, ok, powerlines? So, if I had the main hub in the house and then powerlines to direct the signal to the shed? Would that give me two socketys in the shed for TV and PC? And, is that not essentially a wif fi' set up? This wouldn't be ideal as the shed needs to have the most durable internet connection.

The simple cable to the shed may be the answer. although chnelling it cleanly may be an issue, whats the situation with length? ie - when will my signal start to degrade due to cable length?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 04-Aug-17 18:48:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by cawright1:
Hi, ok, powerlines? So, if I had the main hub in the house and then powerlines to direct the signal to the shed? Would that give me two socketys in the shed for TV and PC? And, is that not essentially a wif fi' set up? This wouldn't be ideal as the shed needs to have the most durable internet connection.
Depending on the actual powerline device you may get 2 sockets, but you can always add a simple unmanaged switch as a poster mentioned before.
The simple cable to the shed may be the answer. although chnelling it cleanly may be an issue, whats the situation with length? ie - when will my signal start to degrade due to cable length?
100 metres

You still have the telephone extension problem.

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 04-Aug-17 18:53:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to