General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-Aug-17 14:59:48
Print Post

Re: Broadband in shed and home

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by cawright1:
Hi, ok, powerlines? So, if I had the main hub in the house and then powerlines to direct the signal to the shed? Would that give me two socketys in the shed for TV and PC? And, is that not essentially a wif fi' set up? This wouldn't be ideal as the shed needs to have the most durable internet connection.
Depending on the actual powerline device you may get 2 sockets, but you can always add a simple unmanaged switch as a poster mentioned before.
The simple cable to the shed may be the answer. although chnelling it cleanly may be an issue, whats the situation with length? ie - when will my signal start to degrade due to cable length?
100 metres

You still have the telephone extension problem.

Well, I could run a extension from the phone socket in the lounge I suppose. Or get BT to add one when first fitting the line.
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Sat 14-Apr-18 17:41:50
Print Post

[re: cawright1] [link to this post]

Hi guys,well, FINALLY nearing to getting into my house. Just want to pick your brains a little if possible.

After the tips on here, I asked for a pipe to go underground between the house and the shed. As per this pic, you can see that they have done that for me. However, the guy is telling me that that pipe will aso be used to carry the mains electric spur into the shed. So, I #m assuming I'll need to isolate the comms cable sfrom the mains elextric spur so how can I best protect those cables that will be alongside it in the same pipe? (Broadband cable, TV ariel cable and phone cable)

*In the pic, the shed base is on the left and the pipe is under the barrow, you can see it starting on the right, with the rope in it.

pic

Any help, much appreciated.
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Apr-18 21:36:44
Print Post

Keep the pipe for your data cabling and ask them to run a Steel Wire Armoured cable parallel to it for the power feed...

wink Comms is hard wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Sat 14-Apr-18 23:13:35
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

As you can see, its concreted in. Nothing can run parallel to it now. Only IN it.
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Apr-18 23:46:34
Print Post

OK...

Running both in the same duct will *probably* be fine...

You could always use a pre-terminated fibre alongside the power cable, assuming you can get the connectors through.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-18 07:08:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by cawright1:
As you can see, its concreted in. Nothing can run parallel to it now. Only IN it.

You could use Shielded CAT 5/6 Cables if you are worried about noise.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Sun 15-Apr-18 08:36:21
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

Why not just use wifi, you mentioned it is a small house and the shed is only 3 metres away. Before you go buying home plugs etc just see if your wifi stretches to the shed and then buy a usb wifi adapter to plug in the back of your pc.

Job done.

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Sun 15-Apr-18 13:34:35
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Wi fi? Nah. I need a solid connection as I will be working from the shed. Dont mind wif fi in the house, but not the shed. Also, I need Ariel cables and telephone cable to come into the shed as well. Looks like they will all have to go through that one pipe. Maybe I'll try and get a smaller pipe to put them in and thread that through
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Apr-18 13:41:06
Print Post

What's the big problem with wifi latency? It's tiny between computer and router. Possibly relevant to some gaming but not to "work".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74565/13753Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User rarrar
(member) Sun 15-Apr-18 15:15:44
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

You should not, according to wiring regs, run a TWE mains cable with the phone and/or ethernet alongside each other .
But if the mains cable is armoured with an earthed sheath then you will , I believe, not break the wiring regs.
Armoured mains cable and normal data cables is an easier option than trying to increase the insulation of the data cables.
Of course if you are doing all this yourself and will not be getting any certificates then you may not be too concerned ......
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to