General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Apr-18 16:50:49
Print Post

Re: Broadband in shed and home

[re: rarrar] [link to this post]

Given that mains current through a wire creates a magnetic field round it, having it close to signal cables can really screw them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74565/13753Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Sun 15-Apr-18 16:56:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If you are worried about your Wi-Fi stretching 3 metres you need a new router

You couldíve pulled some cables through in the time youíve wasted posting on here

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Apr-18 17:32:00
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

I got an email alert for a reply to my post. And found it was you. Perhaps you could click the reply button for the person you are replying to next time please?
Ripley replied to your post at the site: .
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4589665-r...

You could&#146;ve pulled some cables through in the time you&#146;ve wasted posting on here

** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE - YOU MUST USE THE WEB SITE **

====================================================================
To unsubscribe from these e-mails, please adjust your subscription
settings in the 'My Home' section of our forums or visit our
unsubscribe page: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/unsubscribe.html
Of course, the opposite is true for anyone wanting an email alert - they wouldn't receive it if you replied to me.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74565/13753Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Sun 15-Apr-18 20:13:00
Print Post

Oh dear I sincerely apologise

ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Sun 15-Apr-18 23:36:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ripley:

You couldíve pulled some cables through in the time youíve wasted posting on here

As I've mentioned many times. it's not JUST the broadband cable.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Apr-18 00:24:56
Print Post

[re: cawright1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cawright1:
As I've mentioned many times. it's not JUST the broadband cable.
What some of us are trying to tell you is that all that stuff, with power and other data, (a phone line and TV aerial carry electromagnetic signals) going through the same small trunk as your broadband cable is very likely to screw your broadband.

In my opinion you would almost certainly be better using your wifi for the broadband. Let the trunking take the rest.

Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-18 04:34:58
Print Post

[re: cawright1] [link to this post]

Lol are you for real

ASUS RT-AC66U
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Apr-18 09:39:43
Print Post

I think you may be over playing things...

CAT5e carrying Ethernet is not going to be affected, and even VDSL2 will probably be OK, so in ideal cases it is best to avoid the scenario of running parallel.

As for a TV aerial picking up interference, while its possible the screening inherent in coax helps avoid issues.

Collectively its very easy with best practice recommendations to end up pushing people towards the oxygen free gold cable scenario

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Apr-18 11:40:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The thing is, Andrew, that mains + phone line + TV aerial seem to being routed from an unbuilt house to an unbuilt shed all through a very small diameter tube in order to do the main broadband and TV installation in the shed. With a wired feed back to the house to provide internet access and internet TV back in the house. With the position of the master socket unspecified at the moment, but the shed being indicated. (We apparently have a concrete-walled shed with insulation of some kind).

Itís a complete mess. Not helped by the OP not always explaining things very clearly, but seeming adamant that the best internet service is required in the shed.
In reply to a post by cawright1:
... the shed needs to have the most durable internet connection.

The simple cable to the shed may be the answer. although chnelling it cleanly may be an issue, whats the situation with length? ie - when will my signal start to degrade due to cable length?
He specifically seems to rule out a Cat5 cable earlier. Yet power plus Cat5, with the latter carrying an unfiltered feed from a master socket in the house seems easiest. Better for the VDSL2 may perhaps be separate feeds on the Cat5 for ethernet from the router and phone from the filtered backplate. Thus shortening the VDSL2 distance from the cabinet, but making messy wiring in the house and probably not worth the effort.

Where the TV aerial comes into it is puzzling, given that presumably an aerial feed in the house is also required. Yes, aerial splitters exist but are not ideal, and internet TV is also being used.

There just doesnít seem to be a coherent plan. I think Ripley has a valid question.

A one-hour on-site visit by any one of several here would probably arrive at a perfectly viable solution. Just leaving the installation to be done, preferably by Openreach. Which the CP would need to arrange. In itself, not always guaranteed to happen.

Standard User 69bertie
(member) Tue 17-Apr-18 07:36:21
Print Post

Can only agree. I quite often go down to my shed - 15mtrs away. WiFi is excellent. As to dropping out, never happened. And over 3metres, words fail me.

But I think the OP might be pushing the boat out too soon. Reading all the posts I haven't seen any mention of what speed the OP expects at the point where the line comes in. Residential park homes don't tend to be the best available and depending where on site, can have quite long cable runs to any home on them. 3 metres, you could nigh on string the cables over! But new build, the cable runs etc should have been the first thing planned.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to