General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-18 19:12:55
Print Post

Re: Broadband in shed and home

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 69bertie:
Can only agree. I quite often go down to my shed - 15mtrs away. WiFi is excellent. As to dropping out, never happened. And over 3metres, words fail me.

But I think the OP might be pushing the boat out too soon. Reading all the posts I haven't seen any mention of what speed the OP expects at the point where the line comes in. Residential park homes don't tend to be the best available and depending where on site, can have quite long cable runs to any home on them. 3 metres, you could nigh on string the cables over! But new build, the cable runs etc should have been the first thing planned.

Indeed. I told the guys doing the landscaping around the house to ensure they put a pipe underground from the house, to the shed. They did. But then decided that the electric mains is also going through it, causing me the concern. They now tell me that it is an armoured cable, so hopefully should be ok?? Anyway, seems clarification is needed on what I want here.

In the shed I need broadband connection for 1) Computer and 2) Youview television. I dont care too much about 'speed'. I wont be watching internet telly, the telly net connection is only for system updates and EPG guides etc.
I also need a phone line in there and a terrestial ariel connection for the telly IF as seems now to be the best option, I need to take a broadband cable from my router in the main house it needs to be about 9 meters long. Oh, and if anyone here lives near Buxton, I'll pay em to sort this out for me! smile PS, don't be hard on me, I'm a musician /songwriter, totally tech dumb. frown

Edited by cawright1 (Thu 19-Apr-18 19:14:46)

Standard User rarrar
(member) Fri 20-Apr-18 21:40:48
Print Post

[re: cawright1] [link to this post]

Hope its a good size pipe.
Make sure whoever pulls the first cable through pulls a few good drawstrings through as well.
If there is space and you want to make it easy buy ready made cables with the plugs on and plenty of excess length.
Use a small switch in the shed to give yourself network connections for the TV and the computer and anything else in the future from one cable preferably cat6.
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Sat 21-Apr-18 00:06:40
Print Post

[re: rarrar] [link to this post]

Cheers rarrar. Looks like I'lll do what someone suggested earlier and put an Rj45 socket in my lounge, and one in the shed, then take a cat 6 beneath the house and join them up. Then put an unmanaged 3 port switch on the shed end and all should be ok. ...But then someone just suggested TP links! Looked into them and am concerned by dropouts etc, so seems armoured Cat6 cable may well be best option.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-May-18 11:20:39
Print Post

Hi all, got the armoured cat6cable today. 12 meters of it, on a reel. It has an earth wire off it as well. surprised me as I've never seen that on a broadband cable. Bearing in mind this is all going past the mains cable, what should I do with the earth wire?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-May-18 11:29:35
Print Post

Connect it to earth either end ?

Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-May-18 11:40:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Well, obvious, yes, but that's the crux. At each end of the cable are RJ45 conns. One end is coming up through my floor and then being plugged straight into my router. The other end is coming up through the shed floor and going straight into a switch. Earthing points are not really available. Should I just leave the earth?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-May-18 11:56:59
Print Post

You could make your own earth maybe like your kitchen sink or use the earth pin in a 13 amp plug.

Michael Chare
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-May-18 12:17:58
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Can I just ignore the earth?
Standard User scopio
(committed) Tue 08-May-18 12:38:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

What would it be earthing, just the cable? If the earth is not connected to any devices such as lightning arrestors, aerials, satellite dish or any other device what would be the purpose of connecting the earth wire at each end?

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 10 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8.1 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13669...
http://speedtest.net/result/2668600210.png
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-May-18 13:18:21
Print Post

But I believe earthing the exterior of the cable makes it more effectively screened. Which is why you bought it anyway wasn’t it ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to