General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Wed 02-Aug-17 23:55:56
Print Post

Broadband in shed and home

[link to this post]

Hi guys, looking for some advice if possible please?

I will soon be moving into a residential park home, which is currently being built. As the house is relatively small, I am having a shed built in the garden which I will use as an office.

As my computers will be in there, I'm thinking of having a broadband connection originating from the shed as opposed to the main dwelling, the house. However, I would also like internet access in the house itself, so I can use my laptop, phone, and the television broadband.

What's the best way to go around this? Is there a situation where you can have two routers connected to each other? (one in house one in shed) Any other ideas?

I see the area I'm in is covered by most suppliers, so all ideas/pointers appreciated.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 03-Aug-17 03:40:05
Print Post

Re: Broadband in shed and home

[re: cawright1] [link to this post]

You could do but I guess the house would be more secure for the main connection and insureable.
I have an external Ethernet cable running from my house to the shed.

How far is the shed from your home?
Does mains power run from your home to the shed?
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Aug-17 03:50:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Is the shed secure enough for a PC? You hear of lawn mowers being pinched from sheds I can imagine a PC would be a target.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 71334/17938

My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User awontroba
(regular) Thu 03-Aug-17 06:45:49
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Damp might be a problem too. Long ago I kept and used an Osborne 1 in a garage. One cold winter night I switched it on to hear a "thud" when the power supply arced.

--
Adrian
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 03-Aug-17 09:12:00
Print Post

No you cannot have two routers connected.

As you are having power installed to the shed, now would be an ideal time to have some Cat5e or Cat6 cable laid too. Not in the same duct as power but can be in the same trench. Have 2 x Cat5e/6 SWA (Armoured) cables laid between house and shed, and terminate with RJ45 wall mount sockets. The second is a back up in case of failure- albeit unlikely.

Install the modem/router where the phone terminates and connect a patch lead from the router to an RJ45 socket, then in the shed a similar patch lead to a small 8 port Gbit switch.

There are other potential options with two cables running between the locations such as modem at house, router in shed, then a feed back to a switch in the house for example.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 03-Aug-17 09:20:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

You can use 2 routers if you configure the remote one as a wireless access point.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 03-Aug-17 09:23:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You could do but I guess the house would be more secure for the main connection and insureable.
I have an external Ethernet cable running from my house to the shed.

He can also insure the shed .... what has that got to do with the original question?

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 03-Aug-17 09:23:45
Print Post

And it then becomes a WAP not a router.

M H C

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 03-Aug-17 09:28:00
Print Post

Not necessarily. You can use 2 routers and employ double NAT instead.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 03-Aug-17 09:28:24
Print Post

Which leaves the question of what did the OP actually mean when asking if they could connect two routers. Only geeks and nerds know the difference.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 03-Aug-17 09:30:33
Print Post

Alternatively he could use Homeplugs to network over the mains cable
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 03-Aug-17 10:06:40
Print Post

There's the possibility that insurance hasn't been considered
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Aug-17 11:19:12
Print Post

How far from the house to the shed, or vice versa ? Would wifi from a router in either location not do the trick ?

Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Thu 03-Aug-17 23:26:40
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. To answer the questions asked

How far from the house is shed? - about 3 meteres.
What about damp,security, etc? - It is more like a garden room. A concrete structure, with full insulation, double glazed windows and doors.
Insurance? It will be covered.
Willl there be power to the shed? - Yes, full mains supply.

So, someone mentioned getting broadband cable laid into the shed alongside the power cables? Ideally, I'd like to avoid this, purely on a political basis. ie - its too much to ask the person doing it, to do this, etc etc.

Two routers? I just meant having a hub in the shed (it's only 9foot by 8foot 6) AND a hub in the house. If at all possible, so as to give me more sockets? .

Thinking more about the requirement, I dont need any wifi in the shed, just a socket for my TV and a socket for my pc.

So I'm wondering if maybe its best to just have the hub fitted into the house - as I will need the wifi in there, and then somehow take a lead from there into the shed? However, once that lead is in the shed, how do I get 2 sockets from the one cable? Apologies guys, I'm not too good with broadband stuff.

Edited by cawright1 (Thu 03-Aug-17 23:33:01)

Standard User awontroba
(regular) Fri 04-Aug-17 05:54:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by cawright1:
However, once that lead is in the shed, how do I get 2 sockets from the one cable?

A cheap unmanaged switch. £12 or less.

--
Adrian
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Aug-17 09:15:14
Print Post

Easy enough.

Is there a way to run a small cable between the two locations? Along a wall, maybe? Then buy a length - of armoured =1&o[]=4,209]Cat5e. You need that type rather than ordinary Cat5e to give both mechanical and UV protection.

Terminate the cable at both ends with an RJ45 wall mount socket.

In the house you will have the router - connected to the phone line and a number of Ethernet/network ports. Get a short patch cable and connect from one of those ports to the wall mount RJ45.

In the shed, have a small unmanaged 8 port switch. Connect the input of the switch to the incoming wall mount RJ45.

Then you have seven network ports available for your TV, PC, and anything else.

M H C

Standard User tiliaband
(newbie) Fri 04-Aug-17 15:22:29
Print Post

I have TP-LINK Powerline Adapters in the house (where I also have CAT5 that I installed years before) and summerhouse where I have a CCTV installed to monitor the visiting wildlife. A good idea may be to have a small fridge in the shed, as I have, which will run all the time and provide a bit of warmth in the cold nights of winter although that's not why my fridge is there! These Powerline Adapters work very well indeed and may be preferable even if your WIFI signal reaches the shed.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 04-Aug-17 17:16:57
Print Post

[re: tiliaband] [link to this post]

That still leaves the problem of the telephone connection
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Fri 04-Aug-17 18:44:56
Print Post

Hi, ok, powerlines? So, if I had the main hub in the house and then powerlines to direct the signal to the shed? Would that give me two socketys in the shed for TV and PC? And, is that not essentially a wif fi' set up? This wouldn't be ideal as the shed needs to have the most durable internet connection.

The simple cable to the shed may be the answer. although chnelling it cleanly may be an issue, whats the situation with length? ie - when will my signal start to degrade due to cable length?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 04-Aug-17 18:48:59
Print Post

Hi, ok, powerlines? So, if I had the main hub in the house and then powerlines to direct the signal to the shed? Would that give me two socketys in the shed for TV and PC? And, is that not essentially a wif fi' set up? This wouldn't be ideal as the shed needs to have the most durable internet connection.
Depending on the actual powerline device you may get 2 sockets, but you can always add a simple unmanaged switch as a poster mentioned before.
The simple cable to the shed may be the answer. although chnelling it cleanly may be an issue, whats the situation with length? ie - when will my signal start to degrade due to cable length?
100 metres

You still have the telephone extension problem.

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 04-Aug-17 18:53:24)

Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-Aug-17 14:59:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Depending on the actual powerline device you may get 2 sockets, but you can always add a simple unmanaged switch as a poster mentioned before.
100 metres

You still have the telephone extension problem.

Well, I could run a extension from the phone socket in the lounge I suppose. Or get BT to add one when first fitting the line.
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Sat 14-Apr-18 17:41:50
Print Post

Hi guys,well, FINALLY nearing to getting into my house. Just want to pick your brains a little if possible.

After the tips on here, I asked for a pipe to go underground between the house and the shed. As per this pic, you can see that they have done that for me. However, the guy is telling me that that pipe will aso be used to carry the mains electric spur into the shed. So, I #m assuming I'll need to isolate the comms cable sfrom the mains elextric spur so how can I best protect those cables that will be alongside it in the same pipe? (Broadband cable, TV ariel cable and phone cable)

*In the pic, the shed base is on the left and the pipe is under the barrow, you can see it starting on the right, with the rope in it.

pic

Any help, much appreciated.
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Apr-18 21:36:44
Print Post

Keep the pipe for your data cabling and ask them to run a Steel Wire Armoured cable parallel to it for the power feed...

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Sat 14-Apr-18 23:13:35
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

As you can see, its concreted in. Nothing can run parallel to it now. Only IN it.
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Apr-18 23:46:34
Print Post

OK...

Running both in the same duct will *probably* be fine...

You could always use a pre-terminated fibre alongside the power cable, assuming you can get the connectors through.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-18 07:08:05
Print Post

As you can see, its concreted in. Nothing can run parallel to it now. Only IN it.

You could use Shielded CAT 5/6 Cables if you are worried about noise.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Sun 15-Apr-18 08:36:21
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

Why not just use wifi, you mentioned it is a small house and the shed is only 3 metres away. Before you go buying home plugs etc just see if your wifi stretches to the shed and then buy a usb wifi adapter to plug in the back of your pc.

Job done.

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Sun 15-Apr-18 13:34:35
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Wi fi? Nah. I need a solid connection as I will be working from the shed. Dont mind wif fi in the house, but not the shed. Also, I need Ariel cables and telephone cable to come into the shed as well. Looks like they will all have to go through that one pipe. Maybe I'll try and get a smaller pipe to put them in and thread that through
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Apr-18 13:41:06
Print Post

What's the big problem with wifi latency? It's tiny between computer and router. Possibly relevant to some gaming but not to "work".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74565/13753Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User rarrar
(member) Sun 15-Apr-18 15:15:44
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

You should not, according to wiring regs, run a TWE mains cable with the phone and/or ethernet alongside each other .
But if the mains cable is armoured with an earthed sheath then you will , I believe, not break the wiring regs.
Armoured mains cable and normal data cables is an easier option than trying to increase the insulation of the data cables.
Of course if you are doing all this yourself and will not be getting any certificates then you may not be too concerned ......
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Apr-18 16:50:49
Print Post

[re: rarrar] [link to this post]

Given that mains current through a wire creates a magnetic field round it, having it close to signal cables can really screw them.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74565/13753Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Sun 15-Apr-18 16:56:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If you are worried about your Wi-Fi stretching 3 metres you need a new router

You couldíve pulled some cables through in the time youíve wasted posting on here

ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Apr-18 17:32:00
Print Post

I got an email alert for a reply to my post. And found it was you. Perhaps you could click the reply button for the person you are replying to next time please?
Ripley replied to your post at the site: .
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4589665-r...

You could&#146;ve pulled some cables through in the time you&#146;ve wasted posting on here

** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE - YOU MUST USE THE WEB SITE **

====================================================================
To unsubscribe from these e-mails, please adjust your subscription
settings in the 'My Home' section of our forums or visit our
unsubscribe page: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/unsubscribe.html
Of course, the opposite is true for anyone wanting an email alert - they wouldn't receive it if you replied to me.

Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Sun 15-Apr-18 20:13:00
Print Post

Oh dear I sincerely apologise

ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Sun 15-Apr-18 23:36:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ripley:

You couldíve pulled some cables through in the time youíve wasted posting on here

As I've mentioned many times. it's not JUST the broadband cable.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Apr-18 00:24:56
Print Post

As I've mentioned many times. it's not JUST the broadband cable.
What some of us are trying to tell you is that all that stuff, with power and other data, (a phone line and TV aerial carry electromagnetic signals) going through the same small trunk as your broadband cable is very likely to screw your broadband.

In my opinion you would almost certainly be better using your wifi for the broadband. Let the trunking take the rest.

Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-18 04:34:58
Print Post

Lol are you for real

ASUS RT-AC66U
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Apr-18 09:39:43
Print Post

I think you may be over playing things...

CAT5e carrying Ethernet is not going to be affected, and even VDSL2 will probably be OK, so in ideal cases it is best to avoid the scenario of running parallel.

As for a TV aerial picking up interference, while its possible the screening inherent in coax helps avoid issues.

Collectively its very easy with best practice recommendations to end up pushing people towards the oxygen free gold cable scenario

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Apr-18 11:40:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The thing is, Andrew, that mains + phone line + TV aerial seem to being routed from an unbuilt house to an unbuilt shed all through a very small diameter tube in order to do the main broadband and TV installation in the shed. With a wired feed back to the house to provide internet access and internet TV back in the house. With the position of the master socket unspecified at the moment, but the shed being indicated. (We apparently have a concrete-walled shed with insulation of some kind).

Itís a complete mess. Not helped by the OP not always explaining things very clearly, but seeming adamant that the best internet service is required in the shed.
... the shed needs to have the most durable internet connection.

He specifically seems to rule out a Cat5 cable earlier. Yet power plus Cat5, with the latter carrying an unfiltered feed from a master socket in the house seems easiest. Better for the VDSL2 may perhaps be separate feeds on the Cat5 for ethernet from the router and phone from the filtered backplate. Thus shortening the VDSL2 distance from the cabinet, but making messy wiring in the house and probably not worth the effort.

Where the TV aerial comes into it is puzzling, given that presumably an aerial feed in the house is also required. Yes, aerial splitters exist but are not ideal, and internet TV is also being used.

There just doesnít seem to be a coherent plan. I think Ripley has a valid question.

A one-hour on-site visit by any one of several here would probably arrive at a perfectly viable solution. Just leaving the installation to be done, preferably by Openreach. Which the CP would need to arrange. In itself, not always guaranteed to happen.

Standard User 69bertie
(member) Tue 17-Apr-18 07:36:21
Print Post

Can only agree. I quite often go down to my shed - 15mtrs away. WiFi is excellent. As to dropping out, never happened. And over 3metres, words fail me.

But I think the OP might be pushing the boat out too soon. Reading all the posts I haven't seen any mention of what speed the OP expects at the point where the line comes in. Residential park homes don't tend to be the best available and depending where on site, can have quite long cable runs to any home on them. 3 metres, you could nigh on string the cables over! But new build, the cable runs etc should have been the first thing planned.

Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-18 19:12:55
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 69bertie:
Can only agree. I quite often go down to my shed - 15mtrs away. WiFi is excellent. As to dropping out, never happened. And over 3metres, words fail me.

But I think the OP might be pushing the boat out too soon. Reading all the posts I haven't seen any mention of what speed the OP expects at the point where the line comes in. Residential park homes don't tend to be the best available and depending where on site, can have quite long cable runs to any home on them. 3 metres, you could nigh on string the cables over! But new build, the cable runs etc should have been the first thing planned.

Indeed. I told the guys doing the landscaping around the house to ensure they put a pipe underground from the house, to the shed. They did. But then decided that the electric mains is also going through it, causing me the concern. They now tell me that it is an armoured cable, so hopefully should be ok?? Anyway, seems clarification is needed on what I want here.

In the shed I need broadband connection for 1) Computer and 2) Youview television. I dont care too much about 'speed'. I wont be watching internet telly, the telly net connection is only for system updates and EPG guides etc.
I also need a phone line in there and a terrestial ariel connection for the telly IF as seems now to be the best option, I need to take a broadband cable from my router in the main house it needs to be about 9 meters long. Oh, and if anyone here lives near Buxton, I'll pay em to sort this out for me! smile PS, don't be hard on me, I'm a musician /songwriter, totally tech dumb. frown

Edited by cawright1 (Thu 19-Apr-18 19:14:46)

Standard User rarrar
(member) Fri 20-Apr-18 21:40:48
Print Post

Hope its a good size pipe.
Make sure whoever pulls the first cable through pulls a few good drawstrings through as well.
If there is space and you want to make it easy buy ready made cables with the plugs on and plenty of excess length.
Use a small switch in the shed to give yourself network connections for the TV and the computer and anything else in the future from one cable preferably cat6.
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Sat 21-Apr-18 00:06:40
Print Post

[re: rarrar] [link to this post]

Cheers rarrar. Looks like I'lll do what someone suggested earlier and put an Rj45 socket in my lounge, and one in the shed, then take a cat 6 beneath the house and join them up. Then put an unmanaged 3 port switch on the shed end and all should be ok. ...But then someone just suggested TP links! Looked into them and am concerned by dropouts etc, so seems armoured Cat6 cable may well be best option.
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-May-18 11:20:39
Print Post

Hi all, got the armoured cat6cable today. 12 meters of it, on a reel. It has an earth wire off it as well. surprised me as I've never seen that on a broadband cable. Bearing in mind this is all going past the mains cable, what should I do with the earth wire?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-May-18 11:29:35
Print Post

Connect it to earth either end ?

Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-May-18 11:40:43
Print Post

Well, obvious, yes, but that's the crux. At each end of the cable are RJ45 conns. One end is coming up through my floor and then being plugged straight into my router. The other end is coming up through the shed floor and going straight into a switch. Earthing points are not really available. Should I just leave the earth?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-May-18 11:56:59
Print Post

You could make your own earth maybe like your kitchen sink or use the earth pin in a 13 amp plug.

Michael Chare
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-May-18 12:17:58
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Can I just ignore the earth?
Standard User scopio
(committed) Tue 08-May-18 12:38:31
Print Post

What would it be earthing, just the cable? If the earth is not connected to any devices such as lightning arrestors, aerials, satellite dish or any other device what would be the purpose of connecting the earth wire at each end?

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 10 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8.1 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13669...
http://speedtest.net/result/2668600210.png
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-May-18 13:18:21
Print Post

But I believe earthing the exterior of the cable makes it more effectively screened. Which is why you bought it anyway wasnít it ?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-May-18 13:23:56
Print Post

Improves screening and also if the mains cable was to touch live wires to the metal or even a wet plastic outer the subsequent leakage to earth would be detected by the circuit breakers and trip the fuse, rather than waiting for the time when someone touches it and grounds the mains that way.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alwall
(member) Tue 08-May-18 13:29:25
Print Post

You said earlier (I think) that there was also a mains cable in the same duct..
Correct earthing would be advisable. A fault at either end could put mains on your unterminated earth without tripping the ELCB.
Check with a qualified electrician for your own safety.

BTBroadband
Standard User scopio
(committed) Tue 08-May-18 14:02:58
Print Post

I take it that you know that you are not really meant to directly use RJ45 plugs to terminate crimp ends onto the armoured cable. You need to use a Coupler (also known as a junction box) https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Inline-Punch-Couple... at each end of the armoured cable. You would strip and terminate the armoured cable into the coupler. Then strip and terminate a standard cat6 cable into the other side. Then you crimp the other end of the cat6 cable with a RJ45, which then plugs directly into your switch, faceplate or other device.

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 10 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8.1 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013

Edited by scopio (Tue 08-May-18 14:03:59)

Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-May-18 15:49:46
Print Post

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

Well, no, obviously I didnt know that. I've just forked out 40 quid for a cable with RJ45's on each. They are going from my main router to an unmanaged switch at the other end. Why would that be an issue neccesitating couplers etc?
Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Tue 08-May-18 15:59:17
Print Post

There are RJ45 plugs that can go on armoured cabled directly. They are much more expensive but they do exist. You can also just cut the armour back to expose a short length of the centre Cat6 cable and use some adhesive lined heatshrink to cover the join up, and then put a suitable RJ45 plug on the cable. Here is the RJ45 plug I use on the end of Cat6a cable for a wireless access point from CPC
Standard User scopio
(committed) Tue 08-May-18 16:07:57
Print Post

If the armoured cable you have bought has RJ45 at each end the couplers are not necessary. The reason I mentioned it was because armoured cables are difficult to manoeuvre, twist and bend and terminating them at a coupler and then using normal cat6 cables would be easier to run. Faceplate are also useful where necessary.

Edited by scopio (Tue 08-May-18 16:09:43)

Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-May-18 16:10:54
Print Post

ah, good. I bought the cable from Cablemonkey, it's solid with metal RJ45's on each end. Hopefully, all ok!
Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-May-18 18:39:43
Print Post

Idiot alert. Seems I measured the cable too accurately. Forgot to take into account the climb up/down the walls etc. Damn. I'm about 2 meters short. Now need to buy a coupler. Question, will using a coupler hinder the speed at all? Any couplers better than others?
Standard User scopio
(committed) Tue 08-May-18 19:06:43
Print Post

Using a coupler should not need to reduce any more speed than using a faceplate.
This is as good as any other couplerhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Ethernet-Connector-L...

Standard User cawright1
(newbie) Tue 08-May-18 19:12:21
Print Post

Well, that's good to know, thank you so much for your help.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to