General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User peatda01
(newbie) Fri 11-Aug-17 09:41:48
Print Post

Phone issues

[link to this post]

As a complete novice I would like to ask what is probably a very simple question. As my broadband and telephone are provided down the same phone line - I am suffering from intermittent/sporadic dropping of phone calls, connection made OK but then complete loss of connection, hang up and dial again and connection made only for it to drop again sometimes.

I haven't noticed any dropping of internet connection, but cant say that it doesn't drop and then reconnect - unless I happen to be on line at the same time, I wouldn't know.

Is there any way of monitoring my connection to see if it is a line problem, such as a ping tester or is there a better way of doing it?
Dave

Many thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 11-Aug-17 10:21:01
Print Post

Re: Phone issues

[re: peatda01] [link to this post]

Firstly, report the voice problem to your supplier. There is likely to be a failing joint at some point. A single leg fault will affect phone colls and cause loss of service however, with ADSL/VDSL it will just cause a significant drop in speed.

At the bottom of the page there is a link to Broadband Ping Monitoring

and if yor modem/router is compatible you can download DSL Stats from http://dslstats.me.uk/ and leave that running on your PC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Aug-17 10:53:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Also the modem/router should have a connection status page and these usually tell you how long they have been connected for.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User monkeyman86
(newbie) Fri 11-Aug-17 22:20:10
Print Post

[re: peatda01] [link to this post]

Have you tried using another phone just to rule it out? Its worth also checking the sync speeds on your modem to see if they are at the expected rate (assuming you know what your original speeds were), if there is a physical fault on your phone line these would usually drop quite low if the broadband equipment experiences repeated drop outs. If you can check these two out you can be a bit more confident about where the fault is
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Aug-17 21:48:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

& might also give you a count of Loss of Signal Defects during the current session.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to