General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sehnsucht
(newbie) Tue 15-Aug-17 20:21:43
Print Post

fibre question

[link to this post]

I'm on ee adsl, looking to upgrade to fibre. ee are quoting a minimum of 35 mbps, but vodafone are guaranteeing 69.2. the person at ee i spoke to said that everyone uses the same bt system and says i should be suspicious (of vodafone's high speed promise) and to check vodafone's small print. but it seems pretty black and white to me. she says ee will use the existing line (which is from a telegraph pole) to my existing adsl socket, into which i'll connect the brightbox2 fibre router. is this why ee can't guarantee as fast a connection? will vodafone use fibre into my house from a cabinet?

using this site:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

I see:

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 75.3 20 19 69.2 Available -- -- -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 60 20 17.6 39.8 Available -- -- -- --

there's the 69.2 figure vodafone mentioned,and on the second line there's a 39.8 number very similar to the 35 ee promise, plus a range of 60-80 which is what they've quoted as a maximum. does range a mean "fibre from the cabinet to your house" and range b means "dodgy copper from a telegraph pole" or is there more to it?

note: recently the line from the telegraph pole to the house was replaced and a new master socket fitted (by bt engineers on ee's behalf) so there's absolutely no internal wiring to contend with.

thanks in advance for any info! I don't want to make a mistake out of ignorance now and be stuck with a slow connection for 18 months.

Edited by sehnsucht (Wed 16-Aug-17 07:57:24)

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Aug-17 20:47:38
Print Post

Re: fibre question

[re: sehnsucht] [link to this post]

EE were probbaly quoting you on the lower tier package.

You must be really close to the cabinet. If you go for the top tier package I would expect you to get a connection rate of 69-80meg.
Standard User sehnsucht
(newbie) Tue 15-Aug-17 20:50:49
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

there's a cabinet very close to me (if you mean the green box by the side of the road...although the doors are often wide open and there's grafitti and litter inside!). i'm also close to the exchange so my adsl is pretty fast (22meg sync speed). but ee said no engineer needs to visit the house and that it'll use the existing line/socket, suggesting i won't be getting a line into the house from the cabinet. this is the main thing that i'm not sure about. what does the cabinet have to do with anything if the old phone line from the telegraph pole is going to be used? I did make clear to ee i wanted the faster of their 2 fibre packages.

Edited by sehnsucht (Tue 15-Aug-17 20:51:25)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User partial
(experienced) Tue 15-Aug-17 21:01:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by sehnsucht:
(if you mean the green box by the side of the road...although the doors are often wide open and there's grafitti and litter inside!)

Prolly Virgin. They never got the hang of working locks.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Aug-17 21:03:46
Print Post

The new signal comes from the new/shiny green cabinet near to the original cabinet.

It uses rhe existing connection from the cabinet. The engineer just swaps your line over at the cab to "inject" the broadband signal from the fibre enabled cabinet.
Standard User sehnsucht
(newbie) Tue 15-Aug-17 21:09:14
Print Post

ok. but it still gets into the house from the telegraph pole, right? the cabinet feeds into the telegraph pole somehow?
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Aug-17 21:12:05
Print Post

Yes, nothing between the house and the cabinet changes.

The only difference is that your broadband is supplied from the cabinet using VDSL2, as opposed from the exchange using ADSL2+.
Standard User sehnsucht
(newbie) Tue 15-Aug-17 21:16:35
Print Post

ok great, thanks.

so any idea why vodafone are confident they can promise me 69.2 whereas ee are much more cautious? if it's as simple as just reporting figures from that web-page why don't ee also do so?

Edited by sehnsucht (Tue 15-Aug-17 21:16:49)

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Aug-17 22:07:37
Print Post

No idea sorry.

Some ISP's use the "impacted line" range to cover their backs.

Be aware with Voda you will struggle to use your own modem/router.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Aug-17 22:39:13
Print Post

Most likely EE quoting you for their up to 38 Mbps service, and Vodafone quoting for their up to 76 Mbps (both providers sell both products)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to