General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rbrtsmrvll6
(newbie) Wed 16-Aug-17 09:49:19
Print Post

told to log in every time

[link to this post]

Whenever I try to run the speed test I get this response, "You are not logged in. Any speed tests recorded will NOT be linked to your profile.". Each time I log in and click the "remember me" button but the next time I try to run the speed test I get the same result. My history only contains the one result. Can anybody help?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Aug-17 10:23:33
Print Post

Re: told to log in every time

[re: rbrtsmrvll6] [link to this post]

The history button in the speed test itself is just a local PC based ie. stored in cookie history

Looking at your thinkbroadband profile at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/my-profile#speedtestr... (Click My Profile button in top right of main web page to get there usually)

the system is logging tests with you running 1 to 2 tests each day

The remember me and the speed tests history button not knowing about your tests suggests that maybe you are visiting site in 'in private' mode, or are clearing browser cookies each day

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 16-Aug-17 12:59:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

maybe you are visiting site in 'in private' mode, or are clearing browser cookies each day

Can you tell me, in simple terms, how I can check if I am in private mode? I am not personally clearing browser cookies each day but I did look under the Microsoft Edge heading on CCleaner, and unticked Download history. I have run Think speed checker a couple of times without being told to log on. I will try again tomorrow.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Aug-17 13:32:25
Print Post

Sounds like you found the setting i.e. CCleaner clearing out cookies will behave the same as private browsing where not history or cookies are stored once you close the browser window.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 17-Aug-17 19:23:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I restarted today, having had my PC sleeping overnight, and all went well with a full history present and no requirement to log in, so, thanks MrSaffron.

It had never occurred to me that my history would be stored on my PC, but, it is obvious, now that it has been pointed out to me😐 Keep up the good work, Rob.
(newbie) Fri 18-Aug-17 14:18:55
Print Post

I am afraid that I spoke too soon. When I started up today I was told to log on by AOL Mail, Bing, Facebook, ThinkBroadband and Radio Times. I then looked back at your suggestion that I might be running 'in private' mode and indeed you were correct. Apparently this the default for Windows 10 home. I then think that I disabled private mode. If I now drop a menu from the ... at the top right of the Edge window I see that, "New InPrivate window" is dimmed whereas, "New window" is not.

Now when I put the PC to sleep and then wake it I am not asked to log on but when I restart I am asked to log on. This is OK by me since I only restart about once a month. Of course, I do realise that things may change, but, I'll hope for the best and thanks for your help.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Aug-17 16:23:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by rbrtsmrvll6:
I am afraid that I spoke too soon. When I started up today I was told to log on by AOL Mail, Bing, Facebook, ThinkBroadband and Radio Times. I then looked back at your suggestion that I might be running 'in private' mode and indeed you were correct. Apparently this the default for Windows 10 home. I then think that I disabled private mode. If I now drop a menu from the ... at the top right of the Edge window I see that, "New InPrivate window" is dimmed whereas, "New window" is not.

Now when I put the PC to sleep and then wake it I am not asked to log on but when I restart I am asked to log on. This is OK by me since I only restart about once a month. Of course, I do realise that things may change, but, I'll hope for the best and thanks for your help.

When you tell your PC to go to sleep its halts the computer there and saves all memory contents to ram then goes to sleep.
When coming out of sleep it reloads up that stored memory contents and it continues where it stopped.

I think you might have the browser set to block cookies or you are running in private mode, or the browser is set to clear everything when you close the browser.

If you are referring to Edge, every time MS updates Edge it resets the settings and you have to go through and set everything back up, why they do this I don't know, the favourites are still available once you enable them via the settings.

For the cookies, I only block third party cookies.

And where its doing it for other places other than this site, it rules out this site.

TBH I say its a cookie issue which can be affected by Privacy Browser Mode, Clearing content when closing browser, Cookies in the setting being set to block everything.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
(newbie) Fri 18-Aug-17 17:33:11
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks Paul. I usually put the computer to sleep each night and waken it the next morning. I think that I was in private mode but am not now. I have now set my PC to only block third party cookies.

I am using Edge and I am quite happy with how my PC is behaving but this is only based on the small changes I have made today. My opinion might change over the next few days or weekssmile
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Aug-17 20:51:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by rbrtsmrvll6:
Thanks Paul. I usually put the computer to sleep each night and waken it the next morning. I think that I was in private mode but am not now. I have now set my PC to only block third party cookies.

I am using Edge and I am quite happy with how my PC is behaving but this is only based on the small changes I have made today. My opinion might change over the next few days or weekssmile

Is it working ok now when you do a full shut down and NOT Sleep Mode.

Does it still ask you to log in?

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
(newbie) Fri 18-Aug-17 21:31:42
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

When I read your post I put my PC to sleep and then woke it up. When I tried to start AOL Mail or ThinkBroadband I was told to log in.

When I did a full shutdown and then restarted I was told to log in to get access to AOL Mail or ThinkBroadband.

I am puzzledfrown
  Print Thread

Jump to